Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2020 11:49:40 PM EDT
first post - I've got a desire to try my hand at building out a lower. I've built Ar's before from PSA kits but not tried a 80% lower.

A couple questions - is any one brand better than the others and should the jigs come from the same lower manufacturer ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
With few exceptions, lowers and jigs are interchangeable.

If you're sticking to forged you should have zero compatibility issues.

Best jigs going are supposedly Modulus, 5D, and latest generation of the Easy Jig.

I use an easy jig gen 1. No real problems as long as you follow all directions.

Edit also

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Links-to-80-threads-if-you-re-interested-in-building-80-receivers-click-here/4-696581/
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a dumb question, but I just reviewed the Modulus Arms Router Gigs Extreme and the 5D Tactical Router Jig Pro look the same ?? Am I missing something ? Of course the Modulus is back ordered so it may make this mute.

Anyone that has used both know it in fact they are the same ??
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thought so....but more like pick who can fill an order first.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the 5D but a word to the wise replace the selector drill guides with harden pieces.  I'm waiting to hear back from them on "wearing" one out that they say won't happen
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used the 5D but a word to the wise replace the selector drill guides with harden pieces.  I'm waiting to hear back from them on "wearing" one out that they say won't happen
View Quote

It shouldn't happen if the drill bushings are properly hardened.  It seems like 5D may have a problem with their bushings being soft.  So your advice may be correct.  I really hope that 5D makes it right for you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Me too I spent a fortune there
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope so too !! They are back ordered so either it’s no longer a problem or it will be corrected by the time they ship my order.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hope so too !! They are back ordered so either it’s no longer a problem or it will be corrected by the time they ship my order.
View Quote

5D tactical jig is in stock. I ordered  one a week ago and still waiting on shipping.

5D tactical jig
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the 5D jig.  It's a bit disappointing to hear of the recent problems.  Hopefully they get it straightened out soon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the 5D jig.  It's a bit disappointing to hear of the recent problems.  Hopefully they get it straightened out soon.
View Quote

Hopefully they just got a bad batch of bushings from a supplier and it is not an indication of a larger problem.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

5D tactical jig is in stock. I ordered  one a week ago and still waiting on shipping.

5D tactical jig
View Quote

I put in my order with them on November 10th for a pro jig kit and some of their billet 80% lowers.  Still haven't received anything or gotten any confirmation of shipping.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I put in my order with them on November 10th for a pro jig kit and some of their billet 80% lowers.  Still haven't received anything or gotten any confirmation of shipping.
View Quote

All the jig makers are slow on delivery these days.  Very high demand, production and shipping issues.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5D tactical jig

I placed my order December 4th for a jig and a couple billets. Just got confirmation of order and they billed me already. No word on shipping yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ordered the universal ar15/9/45 pro jig and  tool kit on 11/29 shipped on 12/8
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I ordered the universal ar15/9/45 pro jig and  tool kit on 11/29 shipped on 12/8
View Quote

I ordered the same along with 3 ar-15 billet 80s, 1 ar-10 80 and a ar-9 80.  I wonder if they are holding the order because of the lowers?  I've emailed and tried to call with no response
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got a 5D billet lower and access to an 80Percent Easy Jig.  

Shouldn’t the Easy Jig work for all in spec lowers?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep!
View Quote

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’ve got a 5D billet lower and access to an 80Percent Easy Jig.  

Shouldn’t the Easy Jig work for all in spec lowers?  
View Quote

Which generation Easy Jig?  The 2nd and 3rd gen should work with virtually all lowers.  The first gen should work with all forged and most billet, although you might find some billets it might require tweaking to fit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe it’s 3rd gen jig.  I have to buy the router and drill bits for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Like others have posted I have ordered a Pro Jig and tools kit. Charged, acknowledged and not shipped yet. I’m patient.

Hell I ordered some 380 rds from a site and last update was maybe by 2025... ??
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#23]
The Easyjig 3 with which I'm familiar works great--the 2 was ordered, but by the time they could ship, the 3 was out and they sent that at the same price. Thus far, it has worked on a $49.00 forged 7075 15 lower, a billet 15 lower and two billet 10 lowers. No idea what the wait time is now, but it is a nice product. No bushing worries like I've read here regarding that 5D jig (with which I have no experience).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had the 5D Pro jig for a couple years and have done dozens of lowers on it with no issues. The only 80% lowers I've ever had any issues with are two that I got from Righttobear, on separate occasions, that the RE was out of spec, and they only each will work with one specific upper in each case. I ended up using one under my BRN-180 so that was not an issue, but still a pain. Honestly I've mostly used Anderson 80% lowers and have never had a single issue with those.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the same problem as well.  Part of my problem IMHO is that my drill is old and is probably on its last leg.  How would we replace the selector guides if 5D can't/won't help?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have the same problem as well.  Part of my problem IMHO is that my drill is old and is probably on its last leg.  How would we replace the selector guides if 5D can't/won't help?
View Quote

First you will need to locate replacements that will fit.  Then you will need to press out the old ones and press in the new ones.  I don't know how tight they are whether you can get them out with a hammer or you will need some sort of leverage device or even a hydraulic press.  A hydraulic shop press of the kind used to change things like automotive bushings or ball joints would probably work if you had the right sized ram adapter to fit the bushing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
...The only 80% lowers I've ever had any issues with are two that I got from Righttobear, on separate occasions, that the RE was out of spec, ....
View Quote

What is an "RE"?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What is an "RE"?
View Quote

Receiver Extension.

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=receiver+extension

Oh and OP, I have a 5D router jig pro that I've been very happy with.  Bad timing trying to get anything gun related right now though.  The Modulus one is nearly identical & at least one other company has one that is very similar too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Receiver Extension.

View Quote

Thanks.  I always think of it as the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The bushings are wearing on mine also, it's still producing good lowers with no issues, but i can see that they will eventually get too sloppy. I contacted 5d because i have a press and wanted spare inserts. They don't sell them, you have to buy the entire side plate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The bushings are wearing on mine also, it's still producing good lowers with no issues, but i can see that they will eventually get too sloppy. I contacted 5d because i have a press and wanted spare inserts. They don't sell them, you have to buy the entire side plate.
View Quote

I think you can buy bushings that will fit from other sources.  They might be hardened properly too.  Given what I've seen on here it is seriously doubtful the ones 5D is shipping are.  In fact they look as soft as Babbitt lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(alloy)
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
you picked a really bad time to do this.............you really need to consider just buying a finished lower imo
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top