Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2019 9:14:42 PM EDT
I'm going to have a 80% lower engraved and after I finish milling it I'm going to have it anodized.  Will the anodizing affect the trigger and hammer pin size enough to make a difference ?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to have a 80% lower engraved and after I finish milling it I'm going to have it anodized.  Will the anodizing affect the trigger and hammer pin size enough to make a difference ?
View Quote

Nope. I did 2 on a nice mill with DRO following the prints (not using a jig) and had 'em both anodized. No problems.
I used an actual .376" reamer on the safety hole and 5/32" reamer on the FCG trigger pins, too.

Word of advice, I do recommend actual reamers on the holes. On the very first 80% I did, I thought "I know what I'm doing and I got a very rigid setup and sharp new drill bits" so I used regular 5/32" and 3/8" twist drill bits to save money and not buy reamers. The holes came out with poor finish and oversize to my liking. (ie: not perfect). I didn't even bother spending money on that one to anodize it. It was functional, but you could feel the play in the pind and safety when assembled. On the next two lowers I did, I used undersized bits and reamers on the holes - the holes were spot on perfect. A good lesson in don't rush and do it right... you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hard anodizing will add one half the anodizing thickness to the surface, that is if the final thickness is .001", then .0005" will be added to each side of the hole, making the final trigger pin hole size .155", and the safety pin hole .375".

If you read the drawing notes, all dimension apply BEFORE anodizing, so stick to the print dimensions and all will be fine
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Anodizing will affect the hole size.
The starting and finished hole sizes and pin diameter will determine if it “makes a difference”.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nope. I did 2 on a nice mill with DRO following the prints (not using a jig) and had 'em both anodized. No problems.
I used an actual .376" reamer on the safety hole and 5/32" reamer on the FCG trigger pins, too.

Word of advice, I do recommend actual reamers on the holes. On the very first 80% I did, I thought "I know what I'm doing and I got a very rigid setup and sharp new drill bits" so I used regular 5/32" and 3/8" twist drill bits to save money and not buy reamers. The holes came out with poor finish and oversize to my liking. (ie: not perfect). I didn't even bother spending money on that one to anodize it. It was functional, but you could feel the play in the pind and safety when assembled. On the next two lowers I did, I used undersized bits and reamers on the holes - the holes were spot on perfect. A good lesson in don't rush and do it right... you get what you pay for.
View Quote
Rock solid advice.
Being it could effect trigger pull and even safety, why use some drill bit of unknown quality?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top