Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2021 1:18:56 AM EDT
Looking at suppressors, so I'm looking at a gun trust.  Is it a good or bad idea to put several homemade builds into the trust?  The reason I'm thinking is to transfer them to surviving relatives and to make things easier on the wife.  If numbering the pistol or rifle is a requirement to be listed in the trust then I'll figure out something else.  Otherwise, tell me any other reason to reconsider.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at suppressors, so I'm looking at a gun trust.  Is it a good or bad idea to put several homemade builds into the trust?  The reason I'm thinking is to transfer them to surviving relatives and to make things easier on the wife.  If numbering the pistol or rifle is a requirement to be listed in the trust then I'll figure out something else.  Otherwise, tell me any other reason to reconsider.  Thanks.
View Quote

If you feel the need to do it, I'd say start another trust for your 80s rather than mix them in with your NFA stuff. It's not like a trust offers any benefit on Title 1 guns as far as loaning them to friends or relatives like it does for Title 2 items; you can always say who gets what in your will or a bequest letter; and it's possible you manufacturing homebuilds without a manufacturing license for the express purpose of putting them in a trust for others to use would no longer fall under the "for personal use and not for sale" safe harbor that home builds currently enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you feel the need to do it, I'd say start another trust for your 80s rather than mix them in with your NFA stuff. It's not like a trust offers any benefit on Title 1 guns as far as loaning them to friends or relatives like it does for Title 2 items; you can always say who gets what in your will or a bequest letter; and it's possible you manufacturing homebuilds without a manufacturing license for the express purpose of putting them in a trust for others to use would no longer fall under the "for personal use and not for sale" safe harbor that home builds currently enjoy.
View Quote

I'd agree with this if you are set on doing one.  But honestly unless they change the laws (may be coming who knows) I wouldn't do it.  You'd have to put some sort of identifying marks (numbers, letters, symbols, etc) to write down into the paperwork & to me that just defeats 1/2 the reason in rolling your own in the 1st place.  Even if it's only to piss off a liberal with a scary "ghost" gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Will your relative want to be on the trust and want to acquire the NFA item?  As I understand it now, all 'responsible persons' on the trust who may use the NFA item must submit fingerprints and a picture when the form 4 (I think in your case it's form 4 assuming you are buying instead of building/creating) is submitted to the ATF.

ETA:  I see you also reference home builds.  Wouldn't you need #'s on the home builds since you have to supply a serial number on the ATF forms?  I've only done one NFA and it was probably 4 years ago (form 1).
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would that not defeat the purpose of milling 80's?  For me it is to keep them off the books.  What you propose is putting them on the books
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why another trust?
1st off, it's an OK idea to put a serial # on your 80's. If 'you' think they may go interstate at some point then marking them with trust name and city/state is also an OK idea.
2nd, do not use a trust that uses a single schedule-A that lists all items, use a trust that uses single page assignment document for each item. Gotta do the homework to keep the speyes off your stuff. Hence, there is technically no mixing of anything, and the speyes already know all about your NFA items.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Would that not defeat the purpose of milling 80's?  For me it is to keep them off the books.  What you propose is putting them on the books
View Quote

If you use a trust that uses Schedule-A, then all items become visible to the speyes. Use assignment method so the speyes can only see the NFA list, etc.
And for good clarity of an item in the trust, I put a serial # on all 80's as minimum marking.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top