BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
80% Jigs Summary (Page 4 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If buying the 5D Tactical Jig, be warned!

I had 2 bearings self destruct and their proprietary endmill snap as a result, so be sure to purchase spares.... Which shouldn't need to be done if there were higher quality bearings used in the first place. Beginning to suspect that my lower baseplate was not manufactured to spec or some other defect...
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By swooshZ06:
If buying the 5D Tactical Jig, be warned!

I had 2 bearings self destruct and their proprietary endmill snap as a result, so be sure to purchase spares.... Which shouldn't need to be done if there were higher quality bearings used in the first place. Beginning to suspect that my lower baseplate was not manufactured to spec or some other defect...
View Quote
Did you contact 5D about it? I have one on order
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I used an EP Armory jig ($40) and a Harbor Freight trim router ($30) to machine mine and it worked fine.  The HF router has had the front of the base cutout in a vee so that it's not blocked at the rear by the buffer tube mounting ring, since I consider the router to be disposable.  I drilled a 5/16" hole with my drill press in the trigger slot all the way through the forging using the jig for alignment, and then started a 1/4" router bit in that hole and gradually milled it larger until I was against the jig, then finish milled to the final depth.  Everything fits and works perfectly and the router bit left a nice looking surface.  I can still use the HF router if I want (but I have better routers) and the jig has more lowers left in it too.  Take your time and make easy cuts, use ATF for cutting fluid, clean the chips often and check your cut depth every time because my router didn't hold the depth very well.  Depending on your forging, you may have to drive the jig's alignment pin in/out a small amount so that the jig just closes on your forging.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:44:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShootistJack] [#5]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
I have ordered the Modulus Arms Jig, I'm planning to add Tungsten Carbide drill bushings to the Jig. I found a source for .154 I.D. Drill Bushings
View Quote
Hi PursuitSS, PLEASE advise the full outcome of the above. If you've done so, may I get the link please?
I've received the Modulus H-D jig already and now I've come across this info about .154 holes for the trigger,
etc., and your bushings find. I want to have all the subsequent details before I begin work on a Tactical
Machining lower this weekend with my 16 year old son. Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]

When I purchased my original 5D Tactical Jig, I “sidelined” the Modulus Jig.

The original 5D Tactical Jig had steel sideplates.

The new 5D Tactical PRO Jig has hardened steel bushings already installed, sorry I can’t help but the Modulus Jig is gathering dust along with my other forgotten jigs.

I will look for the info where I found the drill bushings and IM you if can locate them.
View Quote
Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if a bump will save this thread or not.

Damn this site costs me money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#9]
All of the Modulus links seem to be broken FYI. Thanks op for this info. I noticed some jigs say they do not work with the Ambi lowers. I am a newb and was wondering why? Also is there a source for 80% Ambi lowers. I like the looks of the 5D Tactical jigs and they are on sale. Any reviews on these?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By arrepo:
I like the looks of the 5D Tactical jigs and they are on sale. Any reviews on these?
View Quote
Really?

Do some digging, there are plenty of reviews on the 5-D jig system..
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
All of the Modulus links seem to be broken FYI. Thanks op for this info. I noticed some jigs say they do not work with the Ambi lowers. I am a newb and was wondering why? Also is there a source for 80% Ambi lowers. I like the looks of the 5D Tactical jigs and they are on sale. Any reviews on these?
View Quote
FREEFALLE7 Review

PursuitSS Review
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, found plenty of reviews and comparisons today. Really liking the 5D tactical. Only seen a couple of complaints about the take down pin holes being a little sloppy. Anyone experience this?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope, actually I have to oil the pins to make removal easy when I go to remove the lower from the jig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yep, found plenty of reviews and comparisons today. Really liking the 5D tactical. Only seen a couple of complaints about the take down pin holes being a little sloppy. Anyone experience this?
Nope, actually I have to oil the pins to make removal easy when I go to remove the lower from the jig.
Yep after 6 lowers my pins are still pretty damn tight.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]
We have the 5D Pro jig and love it. We’ve finished about half a dozen lowers on the same end mill bit. They’re fun to make and show very little signs of chatter along the top edge of the lower.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Who are the go tocompanies for 80% lowers these days?  I seem to get dead links on the other posts.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bannedinchelan:
Who are the go tocompanies for 80% lowers these days?  I seem to get dead links on the other posts.  Thanks!
View Quote
https://www.righttobear.com/80-percent-lowers-s/1985.htm
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Greetings Hive,

This may sound like a silly question, if so - I do apologize in advance. I will be ordering the 5D Tactical jig kit and I'm lacking a "nice router". I do have a drill press and milling vise. Is it reasonable to use my press and milling vise rather than a router?

Appreciate any feedback from you 5D veterans out there.

TIA!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:06:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#20]
Originally Posted By simplefolk:
Greetings Hive,

This may sound like a silly question, if so - I do apologize in advance. I will be ordering the 5D Tactical jig kit and I'm lacking a "nice router". I do have a drill press and milling vise. Is it reasonable to use my press and milling vise rather than a router?

Appreciate any feedback from you 5D veterans out there.

TIA!
View Quote
I don't see any easy way to use a mill to finish an 80% from a router jig.  I'd either buy a router for your router jig (5D) or buy a milling jig to use with your drill press and milling vice (Tactical machining, etc).

I have (2) TM milling vices (unused) I'm selling, because I have a drill press and a router, but never picked up a mill of any sort.  Kind of the opposite situation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I own both the 5D and a Modulus, I do use a mill with the Modulus, but I would not recommend the 5D and a mill, if you are getting a 5D then spend the little bit more to use the method they built it for, which is a router, my Modulus is the last generation jig, not the current and it works with a mill, but the wide top plates are difficult on a mill and I would use the router over the mill if I were going to do more with the 5D.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Greetings and thank you all for the feedback. The 5D and a new DeWalt DWP611 are on their way.

Appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
If anyone has a contact at 5D or if 5D is reading this thread, can you kindly PM me?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:10:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stephenn82] [#25]
Hey all,

I have the Colfax tactical jig, and it has no drill bushings. It also seems rag tag for 100 bucks. I will post it pics in a little while

I picked up a DeWalt DWP611 router to get the pocket super clean.  I think I will have to ask my buddy to machine me a nice guide plate with recessed screw holes to get it to work with this jig.

Do your jigs have cap screws that hold top plate on?  Mine looks like I really have to get it aligned to prevent a crooked pocket.  Maybe pass on the colfax getup. Tempted to recess the screw holes to get it to self align somewhat instead of the sloppy mess it seems to be.

Anyone have experience with this jig? Looks pretty awesome for a home DIY'er

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDE2ODA1/easy-jig-gen-2-instructions
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Like Pursuit state 5 D has the recessed screws and I have a Modulus HD 2nd Gen jig that also has recessed screws, most systems designed to use with routers have the recessed screws now a days.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 6:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bitmap] [#28]
Never mind.  I found the answer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stephenn82] [#29]
Looks like I have a hundred dollar paperweight. Requires a lot of work to get on point of anything else.

Colfax Tactical Jig

Pics

No bushings, and only holes on one side of jig
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#30]

BTW, your link is busted.
View Quote
So it is
Tried embedding it three different ways, wouldn't work. Just put url in as normal, copy/paste away.

Would an easy jig g2, 5d,  or modulus be better?
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Very nice!

So, now you have the pro jig...what's up with the original? Lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#34]
80% Arms Gen II Easy Jig
- If you have a drill press and the Dewalt 611, I honestly can’t see a need for anything else. No shortcoming that I’ve noticed. Maybe the router plate could be bigger if you have a large router. Their end mill and bits appear to be of the highest quality and show no wear after a couple lowers.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:20:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#35]
Just wanted to add something to this thread regarding my experience with Modulus Arms. I recently bought a used Modulus HD jig in the EE and when it was shipped USPS the box was torn apart, placed in a USPS "Oooops" bag and when it arrived the left and right side plates were missing. Modulus no longer makes/sells the HD jig. I emailed their company with the hopes I could purchase some side plates they might have laying around. I explained my situation and they mailed me a left and right side plate free of charge that the guy found laying in their inventory. They even offered me 25% off their newer model jig if I wanted to give it a try. They could have just said they no longer sell the jig or have the parts but went out of their way to help me out. Maybe the CS guy has dealt with USPS's package handling abilities as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I sent out a US Postal money order for the AR 15 Jig from CNC Gunsmithing , and a email on 24 April, 2019 . USPS tracking
says that my order form with the money order was delivered on 29 April 2019 , and till now 18 May 2019 , still nothing from Justin
anyone know if they are in business, web site states Jigs are available and ready for shipping
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to keep the routing process as clean as possible? Besides using the vacuum attachment are there any other tips or best practices to keep the process as particle free as possible to reduce the amount of debris in the work are?

TIA
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I always take a 1/2 paper towel sheet and roll it into a tube . Push one on each side of receiver to make the vacuum pull from the front of receiver. seems to pick up way more chips that way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:54:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#40]
out for the name change
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Colfax Tactical $99.00
Material: Unknown
Drill Bushings: Unknown
http://www.colfaxtactical.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=36379a277883e37fe9f5215c68a5ae3b

its aluminum, no drill bushings.  Their website is "being rebuilt" at the moment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Figured I would bump this thread

Just wondering, it seems the 5D Pro and the 80% Arms GEN 2 seem to be the go-to choice for jigs.  Any advantage for either jig.  I would assume quality will be the same with each used properly but it might require a lower from the same company to give the best results.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shootertim] [#44]
Has anyone on here used the Modulus router jig extreme? I ordered one a month ago, but they are backed up, so I haven’t seen nothing but pictures of it yet.
From pictures, it looks very similar to the 5D tactical router jig pro.
I wonder how they compare.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Anyone used this one yet:
http://www.eparmory.com/product-p/metal80jig.htm
http://cdn3.volusion.com/rhqso.ycmfs/v/vspfiles/photos/METAL80JIG-2S.jpg
All steel plates, $75.00

Wes
View Quote
Link 404s.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I did not notice if anybody has tried:
The Machine Gun Guy?  Link will not post???
The claim is that they more accurately locate the FCG to milspec.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Cut my first 80 with the 5D a couple of weeks ago.  Test fired it last week.  Took everything in to the shop, and let a friend and his son use it to finish their 80's.  Now that I know the jig puts out a good result, I'll finish my other 9 80's.

I decided to do them all stage at a time, vs each to completion.  I drilled all the pilot holes yesterday.  May mill them all today.  The jig takes longer than I expected, but does a great job.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
Cut my first 80 with the 5D a couple of weeks ago.  Test fired it last week.  Took everything in to the shop, and let a friend and his son use it to finish their 80's.  Now that I know the jig puts out a good result, I'll finish my other 9 80's.

I decided to do them all stage at a time, vs each to completion.  I drilled all the pilot holes yesterday.  May mill them all today.  The jig takes longer than I expected, but does a great job.
View Quote

How'd that work out?  Milling in stages?  My first thought you were asking for trouble by undoing each lower and then attaching it again for the next stage.  I was thinking if there was going to be a problem that's where it would happen because something was different the next time the jig gets attached.  Mind you I haven't received my jig yet, so it's all from 2nd hand information.  I have several lowers coming from several places so your approach makes sense.  I'll probably have most of the lowers arrive before the jig so I'll be chomping at the bit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Is the 5D still one of the top kits? I’m looking to get a kit that’ll work on 5.56 and .308 lowers. I’ve never done an 80% lower and now I want to do three.
Page / 5
80% Jigs Summary (Page 4 of 5)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top