Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2018 10:15:23 AM EDT
I tried a search and even looked through the 80% jig thread and didn't have much luck, so apologies if this has been covered. I'm going to be buying a jig. I don't have a drill press so one which works with a hand drill and router are best for me. I've looked at these two and was hoping for input from the folks here as to whether the Gen 2 was worth the extra money for someone who most probably will only mill a few receivers over time. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not own a 80% Arms Jig. I own a 5D Tactical. When I was buying my jig I ruled several out right away. My reasoning is I wanted the lower held into the jig firmly and wanted to be confident in the registration of the lower to jig to router. Several were satisfactory and met that criteria through observation of advertisement and YouTube operation videos including the 5D, the gen 2, Modulus and a couple others. I settled on the 5D based on a sale price with package deal as well as availability at the time. I would have been happy with the others. I can point to something on every one that I don't like. I am a hard grader. Could they all mill a receiver even the ones I ruled out? Well, sure. But some of them hold and position in such a way that I consider sloppy or I would be less than confident in the registration. I watched that Gen 2 video completely and a Gen 1 video scanning it. I, personally, wouldn't buy a gen 1. I don't like the way it holds the lower with the side plates tightening against the lower. Maybe it is fine. Maybe it is a great design. I don't like it. Will it work? Probably. I expect it you take care with your set-up it will be fine. Based on what I saw between those 2, the gen 2 would be worth the  premium to me.

Best of luck whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys, I’ll check out 5D.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally the Gen 1 easy jig has worked just fine.  I'm sure the 5D jig works well too, but I got a good deal on the easy jig, and so far I haven't turned anything into a paperweight.

A hand drill will work, just take it easy and be prepared for a bit of an arm workout.  A drill press makes the process a whole lot nicer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve used the Gen1 jig about 4 times but if I had the money I would get the Gen2 because of the steel sleeves for the holes. Drilling those holes can cause obligation of the holes. If your not going to use a drill press then get the Portal-Cable router. Absolutely love this Router! But be patient on drilling because it’s not hard to break the end-mill.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top