Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2018 4:17:47 PM EDT
So, I had time today to test fire my newly assembled 723. Thanks again to JT for the cut and pin job. I really like this carbine. So, first off, after bore sighting, I took two shots at 50 yards from a bench and the first two hit the orange. The other three, not so. Sadly, my eyes don’t adapt too well to iron sights like they used to.

Now the optics question. I picked up this carry handle drop rail at a gun show this afternoon for $3. What would be a era correct optic for this rail/723 combo?  I typically don’t like optics on retro rifles, but this drop rail makes me rethink that.

Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
This should be in the A2 forum.

Correct red dots for that era would be Aimpoint 2000, 5000, then 3000. Some soldiers preferred a standard scope of some type with a fairly low-powered setting. Most optics of the period were mounted atop the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This should be in the A2 forum.

Correct red dots for that era would be Aimpoint 2000, 5000, then 3000. Some soldiers preferred a standard scope of some type with a fairly low-powered setting. Most optics of the period were mounted atop the carry handle.
View Quote
I have a 2000 on my 727 and it works good, as far as were it should be, here or there, it is retro and it is an A2 so it kind of fits in either area.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at some of the IDF setups, they still field a sizable number of 723ish carbines.

Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Built one of those clones.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everybody.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice build.  Shooting is pretty darn good for carbine iron sights, older eyes and just run of the mill ammo.  It'll do the job.  

You can compare with my 25 meter challenge.....

real results
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Range trip #2 resulted in this. 75 yards and only support was a 4x4 post. Hit it on the sixth shot. Boom

This is my new favorite carbine. For the time being, I am just leaving this Bushnell on it. It is small, light and works well.

Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Range trip #2 resulted in this. 75 yards and only support was a 4x4 post. Hit it on the sixth shot. Boom

This is my new favorite carbine. For the time being, I am just leaving this Bushnell on it. It is small, light and works well.

https://i.imgur.com/QyZeEA6.jpg
View Quote
Very nice looking build, you gave me an idea for my C7 upper.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Fantastic looking rifle!

Just got my pinned and welded barrel back from John Thomas and my 723 is quickly becoming my favorite AR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve got another 1/7 Colt pencil barrel on its way to me and I think it will go off to JT as well. Not sure what I am going to build, yet. I’m accepting any and all ideas. :)
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’ve got another 1/7 Colt pencil barrel on its way to me and I think it will go off to JT as well. Not sure what I am going to build, yet. I’m accepting any and all ideas. :)
View Quote
What about an all-Colt build?

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Aimpoint Comp came out in 1995 and if you aren't picky the Primary Arms M68 copy is a lot of scope for cheap....I have an old 2000 and the PA is less problematic plus they stand behind their product line

I don't have a current photo but my Oly Stopsign (in storage elsewhere) now has a similar or exact same gooseneck with a PA clone on top (but also 6 hole handguards and more correct A1 grip....can't believe I thought 20 years ago the M4 fatties would be an improvement )
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
If not for the cost of the lower, that is not a bad idea. After adding a red dot to my 723 build, sadly I am looking to do something more modern with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If not for the cost of the lower, that is not a bad idea. After adding a red dot to my 723 build, sadly I am looking to do something more modern with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legos for Big Kids......
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Legos for Big Kids......
View Quote
Yes, they are. Today, I received in the mail a correct extension nut and end plate for my 723 along with a N1 stock/tube assembly. Got the nut on the 723 swapped out. Installed the butt assembly on another lower. Bought some other legos off the EE last night.

Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top