Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2018 11:49:11 PM EDT
I’m working on a 723 build with a 14.5” M4 contoured barrel and I am exploring the options to make it 16”. I mocked this up tonight by cutting off part of a second hider as a spacer, but I’m not 100% sold on it. Would a crush washer be correct at all on a 723?  If I need to use a peel washer, then I don’t think this option will work.

If anyone has a picture of the spacer John Thomas uses, I’d appreciate it. I’ve read it mentioned, but no pics.
Yes, I know 723’s are borderline retro, but the knowledge base in here is hard to beat.

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately a peel washer would be correct for early A2 era stuff.

What about getting a 14.7 barrel and having it pinned?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Contact Specialized Armament and explain what you want.  They make a perfect blended barrel extension.  They are not cheap, but the work is exceptional.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s what I was afraid of. If you have a lead on a 14.7 M4 barrel, please point me to it. I have searched and found nothing. A peel with an extended A2 hider may be the best bet.

JT makes a fitted to the barrel spacer, but I would like to see a finished product first.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a couple pictures of my Model 723 with a JT barrel spacer. Barrel was originally a Daniel Defense LW 14.5" that was on sale and being discontinued about 4 years ago. Sent it to John and had him add the spacer since I didn't want an extended flash hider pinned then welded. Hope this helps.

Here's what it looks like today since adding an A2 engraved lower (lower rifle Model 711).

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Adco sells an extension for exactly this situation. Not very expensive either. I've used them on two builds. Looks way better than am extended A2

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/categories/muzzle-devices/kac-spacer/

FYI it puts you just the tinyest bit over 16" with a peel washer. Also a spacer like this is less noticable on an M4 profile barrel than it is on a pencil barrel like shown above. Since the M4 barrel is a wider diameter at the muzzle device and doesn't have a shoulder the way a pencil barrel does.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks so much. Ironically someone posted a M4 barrel in the EE that JT did this exact work to. I’ll eventually be needing two of these, so I went ahead and grabbed it. I do like the way it looks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I used the option that you pictured above for my 727 and used a peel washer.  If you go with a 14.7 barrel or a barrel-sized spacer, just be aware that a bayonet cannot be mounted(no sure that would be a concern but something to be aware of).

ARKAR
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
cnc warrior makes an extended A1 flashider for just such a build

http://www.cncwarrior.com/Extended-Length-Birdcage-Flash-Hider-p/23395.htm

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I used an extended A2 on my 14.5" M4 build, an extended A2 on my 14.5" (lightweight barrel) 723 build, but for some reason the extended A2 didn't look good on the M4 step barrel on my 727 clone with the A2 upper. So I cut the rear ring off a regular A2 and used sandpaper on a flat surface and sanded it until it timed correctly behind another regular A2 then timed them both to the barrel with a peel washer.  I drill an pin all my own 'hiders. When I was building all three uppers I tried various assemblies/combos but to me they looked best in the configurations that I ended up with.  I'll try to post a picture of all three sometime this weekend (if that helps a fellow ARFcommer/Arkansan).
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again. I will likely give another attempt at what I did in my original post using a peel washer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks again. I will likely give another attempt at what I did in my original post using a peel washer.
View Quote
Get one of the adco spacers. It looks way better than an extra flash hilder base behind your FH
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't bring myself to perm pin the actual, 653,723,727, and early M4 barrels I have, so I SBR'd most of them, and only plan to perm so late production Colt M4/A1 barrels
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a M4 barrel off the EE that JT pinned with the spacer. It looks real good. Sending him my new M4 barrel to do this same work, but with a peel washer.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top