Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2018 10:00:09 AM EDT
Is there really any way of determining if a buffer tube is 6061 or 7075, other than the sellers say so?  I know 7075 is preferred, but I'd think 6061 should be fine unless you plan on butt-stroking trees - in which case both might prove inadequate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The way it tastes of course..........

Jk, that's  a good question, kind of why I buy from known reputable dealers. I'd agree, 6061 is fine for a lot of peoples needs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Cut off a small chunk and send it off to a lab for analization.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cut off a small chunk and send it off to a lab for analization analysis.
View Quote
Sorry, but that one needed fixing...
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
maybe a handheld xray metal analyzer
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cut off a small chunk and send it off to a lab for analization analysis.
Thank you I was struggling with that one
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, kinda what I thought.  I was just thinking there might be some little machining quirks between the metals that may make one distinguishable from the other.  The thought of going through the analization process was just to painful to consider.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cut off a small chunk and send it off to a lab for analization.
View Quote
Interesting
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
AFAIK there is no sure fire way other than having it tested.
We require certificates for some of the materials we buy at work.
We have some customers that require independent lab testing of the finished product.
For my AR parts I stick with suppliers that I know or ones that have good reputations for quality products.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
6061 is approximately 4% LIGHTER than 7075.
A receiver extension weighs approximately 3-4oz .
A receiver extension should displace something like 35 mL of water.

All of these are simply measured quantities... so just determine the density of your buffer tube. A high quality quality large (1000mL) graduated cylinder, a scale capable of sub-gram precision, distilled water, and a pipette should give you a good idea of what kind of alloy your receiver extension (buffer tube) is.

If it's closer to 2.70 g/mL it could be 6061; if it's closer to 2.81 g/mL then it could be 7075.
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6061T6
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA7075T6
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
6061 is approximately 4% LIGHTER than 7075.
A receiver extension weighs approximately 3-4oz .
A receiver extension should displace something like 35 mL of water.

All of these are simply measured quantities... so just determine the density of your buffer tube. A high quality quality large (1000mL) graduated cylinder, a scale capable of sub-gram precision, distilled water, and a pipette should give you a good idea of what kind of alloy your receiver extension (buffer tube) is.

If it's closer to 2.70 g/mL it could be 6061; if it's closer to 2.81 g/mL then it could be 7075.
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6061T6
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA7075T6
View Quote
The forging (impact extrusion or whatever) process is going to completely screw up your density expectations. Forging (or impact extrusion and other similar processes) alter the density of the material.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there really any way of determining if a buffer tube is 6061 or 7075, other than the sellers say so?  I know 7075 is preferred, but I'd think 6061 should be fine unless you plan on butt-stroking trees - in which case both might prove inadequate.
View Quote

Buy it from a reputable vendor.  A quality vendor will have quality sources that will supply exactly the product they say they are.

Yes, from a range commando perspective there should be no real difference in performance.  But a few things typically go along with the 7075 alloy: they’re almost guaranteed to be MIL-SPEC extensions.

MIL-SPEC receiver extensions are made to MIL-SPEC dimensions held to tight tolerances, they’re made with known production processes, they have high quality coatings, and rolled threads (which are tougher than cut threads sometimes found on lesser extensions).

So long story short, buy a MIL-SPEC receiver extension from a trusted source and you’ll get all the positives that go with MIL-SPEC, including the right alloy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The forging (impact extrusion or whatever) process is going to completely screw up your density expectations. Forging (or impact extrusion and other similar processes) alter the density of the material.
View Quote
forging, while it can remove lattice deformations and microscopic cavities in a cast part, do NOT appreciably change the metal's crystalline density. The apparent specific density can change a tiny bit... but it's so small it's generally unaccounted for in design engineering.

I found no papers outlining evidence that aluminum parts are significantly more dense after forging. One would think, with the engineering implications of such a phenomenon, that there'd be tons of papers out there and charts describing density differences of forged vs extruded/cast aerospace aluminum. The only related paper I was able to find was a study based on carbon steel (cast ingots vs forged ingots) and the paper concluded that there was about a 0.64% difference in the density of a forged carbon steel. That ain't much.

Based on what I've found, I'm going to have to say... no, a forged RE tube wouldn't completely screw up the density expectations.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top