User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 35
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
For you fellas that reload for the .300 Blackout, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x40mm, .277 Wolverine, 6.5mm PCC, 6x45 and many other .223 Remington
based cartridges that like AA-1680 powder, there is a very good substitute that is very similar to AA-1680 in many ways that is called:

Shooters World Blackout (it is a Lovex/Explosia brand powder made in the Czech Republic/Europe) it is a clean burning spherical powder that
meters very well and is again very close to AA-1680 with the added bonus in many cases it produces better velocities with slightly smaller
charges vs. AA1680...also it is generally more available or in stock than AA-1680 in many cases particularly online...and finally it tends to
be less expensive per lbs vs. AA1680.

Their pistol powders are also excellent as well...

Check out the links below:

https://shootersworldsc.com/reloading-guide/

https://explosia.cz/app/uploads/2016/11/reloading_Lovex_EN.pdf

https://shootersworldsc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Shooters-world-reloading-manual-12-16-16.pdf
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 1:55:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: muta4warrior] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rkrcpa:
And so it begins

https://i.imgur.com/1p4N6Yn.jpg

Still have to work out some details as far as handguard, stock etc.
View Quote
Hopefully you have better results with your Wilson barrel then I did.. I went through 2 barrels before I called it quits on the company. (first one; 18" mid gas barrel, I couldn't get to cycle reliably, from starting load all the way up to publshed max load, used both w296 and aa1680.. Ended up running a bore snake down the barrel (chamber to muzzle) and was snagging on a nasty burr/defect at the leade into the rifling.. Sent that one back for a replacement (received a 16" carbine gas barrel,  the18" barrels where discontinued) . Restarted over on load development for this barrel and started at mid recommended charge for aa1680. First round I get this..

I literally had to pry the bolt open, to get the bolt to unlock.. I tried a couple of these rounds from the the same batch in my buddies WOA 18" mid gas barrel, they worked fine, just wouldn't pick up another round from the mag.

Called Wilson and the guy I got in contact with was trying to blame the gas block as the problem (gas block and tube that I had pulled off a working 5.56 barrel). That looks more high pressure then a gas block issue.

I was using Nosler 125 grn Ballistic Tips and once fired LC 2016 brass for these loads.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Go SAAMI please!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By muta4warrior:

Hopefully you have better results with your Wilson barrel then I did.. I went through 2 barrels before I called it quits on the company. (first one; 18" mid gas barrel, I couldn't get to cycle reliably, from starting load all the way up to publshed max load, used both w296 and aa1680.. Ended up running a bore snake down the barrel (chamber to muzzle) and was snagging on a nasty burr/defect at the leade into the rifling.. Sent that one back for a replacement (received a 16" carbine gas barrel,  the18" barrels where discontinued) . Restarted over on load development for this barrel and started at mid recommended charge for aa1680. First round I get this..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106757/20180307_144353-490752.jpg

I literally had to pry the bolt open, to get the bolt to unlock.. I tried a couple of these rounds from the the same batch in my buddies WOA 18" mid gas barrel, they worked fine, just wouldn't pick up another round from the mag.

Called Wilson and the guy I got in contact with was trying to blame the gas block as the problem (gas block and tube that I had pulled off a working 5.56 barrel). That looks more high pressure then a gas block issue.

I was using Nosler 125 grn Ballistic Tips and once fired LC 2016 brass for these loads.
View Quote
Boy that looks pretty nasty...Shame on Wilson for not honoring their warranty...AA 1680 is the "go to" powder for the x40 cartridge...

I had heard fairly frequently that Wilson customer and warranty service has really gone south of late, this seems to confirm that trend
sadly...

Good luck anyway trying to fix the Issues with them...
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dr69er:

Boy that looks pretty nasty...Shame on Wilson for not honoring their warranty...AA 1680 is the "go to" powder for the x40 cartridge...

I had heard fairly frequently that Wilson customer and warranty service has really gone south of late, this seems to confirm that trend
sadly...

Good luck anyway trying to fix the Issues with them...
View Quote
The guy I talked to (the one that said it was my gas block) gave me the option of ANOTHER replacement barrel or refund on the second barrel, I took the refund.

I found a good deal on a nice SS WOA 18" mid gas barrel.. So far, it is performing well..
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]

The guy I talked to (the one that said it was my gas block) gave me the option of ANOTHER replacement barrel or refund on the second barrel, I took the refund.

I found a good deal on a nice SS WOA 18" mid gas barrel.. So far, it is performing well..
View Quote
Shame on Wilson?????

They offered a replacement or refund and gave the choice to the customer.  Sounds like they stood behind their warranty 100%.   muta4warrior, please do not take this wrong.  The guy at Wilson's has no clue if the barrel is the problem or if it is another problem with your rifle.  Several things could cause what appears to be an over pressured load.  Yes, I am bias.  I have been a steady customer of Wilson's since 2011 when I got my first 7.62x40 barrel.  The last one of the six that I have bought was last month.  As for their customer service, other than placing orders I have never had to "test" it.  I'm happy to learn that they did in fact offer a refund.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Timberhawk] [#7]
I know this is an old thread, but it seemed better to post here than start a new thread.
Has anyone been using CFE BLK in the 7.62x40?
I was also wondering about Barnes Black Tipped 110 Gr. TAC-X bullets. Will they seat properly in the 7.62x40? Barnes says they will open up at 1,300 FPS.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I have not yet, but it is on my list of things to do at the end of hunting season. (Dec. 8th in my area)  I have been loading for the 300 HAM'R and have a lot of CFE-BLK sitting here, so it just makes sense to try it in the 7.62x40.  I'll post my results later next week.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried the Barnes, Black Tipped, 110 Gr. TAC-X bullet?
I'd like to know if it will fit the neck properly, but don't want to buy a box and find out I can't use them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've tried some at the range but not on any animals.  To be honest, I have always gotten good results with the 125 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter at the range and in the field on deer and hogs.  Since it is cheaper, why not.  Once I get good results on deer and accuracy below MOA I just say "I'm set" and leave things alone.  I'm trying the CFE-BLK just so I can keep one powder in stock instead of two.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Timberhawk] [#11]
We have some really big hogs on our place. Seen some on the game cams that look like they may be 350 to 400 lbs. Maybe bigger! We shot one two years ago that was 425 lbs., shot with a .270 Win.

We plan on a few hunts after deer season in Jan. and Feb to try to thin the sounders out. I just thought the Barnes might do a better job on the bigger ones. Do you think the 125 gr. Sierra Pro Hunters will leave an exit hole on one that big, with a broad side shot behind the shoulder?

Shots will probably be from 100 to 220 yards, depending on which stand I hunt and obviously, at night.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I really should have just asked how the Sierra Pro-Hunters work on big hogs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Hogs that big and you didn't invite us?

The largest hog I've killed with the 125 Sierra was right under 300.  I have also taken a black bear about the same weight.  This year all of my hunting has been with the 300 HAM'R and the lowly 130 Speer HC "kills better" than anything I've seen.  I'll have to put it on my list of things to try with the 7.62x40.  In the HAM'R, the Speer bullet puts down anything in front of it.  I've used it on hogs, deer and bear.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for not inviting you. Our lease has very strict "guest" rules and a very primitive camp. No utilities at all.

I've used the Barnes 62 Gr. TTXS in .223 on hogs with great success. Just concerned the 125 Gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter won't penetrate on a really big hog well enough to anchor them quickly.

We've got some real bruisers and tracking them in the dark is not something I look forward to, 6" tusks and all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
First want to testify that I got great customer service from Wilson Combat.  A friend of mine bought me x40 barrel sometime in Aug 2018.  I received it was impressed but having never build AR15 I was intimidated and put if off until about December when I took a plunge and build my first AR in 7.62x40WT, my lower was PSA ($40) and upper was from Davidson Defence, everything came together perfect and looks great!  At that point I noticed that there were some burrs in the barrel crown that pretty much were visible with magnifying glass, also the muzzle thread was buggered up a little.  I wrote to Wilson and they told me to ship the barrel back and they send me a replacement!  Guys it's been almost half a year since my friend bought me a barrel (I never shot it) but they still replaced it, if this ain't a great customer service I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dimaprok] [#16]
I finished reading all pages from the start here’s my experience:  My 2nd group (shots #7 - 10) I haven't even broken in gun or barrel I got solid 1" group at 50 yards with cast lead bullets as this was one of the important things for me to be able to shoot cast bullets.  Nobody wrote about this, I am using NOE 130gr bullet that comes out 136gr PC and GC I got avg. 2330fps with 23.5gr of 1680 (first try).  If you compare this to 7.62x39 this is typical velocity you get with 123gr bullet and it’s from a bigger cartridge (more volume) I get this with smaller case, smaller powder charge so this is better round IMO and free brass converted from LC range pickup.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the Lee dies and should have spent extra on Hornady.  I ended up getting Vickerman seating die in 30 cal from ebay for cheap to try to fix my crooked bullet seating.  I started using Lee universal expander with NOE insert before seating bullet and that made big difference I believe.  I picked up Hornady die set in 300 BO, I found that it has universal 30 cal. bullet seating die with a  sleeve that helps to guide the bullet, I am pretty sure it’s the same die in x40 kit.  I found that sometime the cases were not formed straight, with shoulders more pronounced on one side, I don't know why, maybe because I used my Hornady progressive press to form them?  I have since got a known accurate single stage MEC press and use that, I also got concentricity gauge from Hornady and noticed one loaded cartridge was .008 out of round on the neck I pulled the bullet and sized it 3 times rotating the case each time and this time it was little over .001” run out on the neck.  I crimped it with Lee factory die and run out dropped to slightly less than 1 thousand on the neck (it was .002” on the bullet).  The Lee crimp die I modified from 300 BLK, first I made a simple aluminum bushing with .380 hole and about .215” tall that I would slip over the cartridge on top of shell holder since the die uses the shell holder to push against and clamp the collet and it worked great!  After that proof of concept I took the die apart and machined the "extension" in to the collet end and I made it slightly shorter at .200 so it doesn't just crimps the very edge of case mouth but crimps a little deeper in order to remove the mouth flare and put some neck tension.  I also discovered I can use the same technique to adapt 300 BLK neck collet die which also can be used to uniform case necks which I also plan to experiment the effects of it on concentricity.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Formed a bunch of brass from PPU brass.
Apparently, the PPU brass is thicker than the Lake City brass and I wound up with neck thickness of .013".
Bought a Forster outside neck trimmer, but the mandrel is too large to go into the necks of sized brass. Forster is .306, Expander is .3055"
Waiting on Hornady to send me a neck expander for the 7.62x39 that is .311". I'll have to polish it down to .306" to use with the Forster neck turner mandrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Well fellas, I jumped in head first on the x40. I have a Bushmaster ACR SBR with a 14.5" barrel using a Nefarious Arms (Marvin Pitts) gas system.  I am nearly done building an 18" Aero gas build and also an 11.3" Wilson pistol using an Adams Arms piston kit for use with my silencer. Pics to follow.

Thread revival!
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I doubt you will be disappointed.  I've always found it easy to convert surplus brass and the cartridge has always been accurate.  Given a decent barrel it should do whatever you need.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Be aware that different brands of brass form different neck thicknesses due to body thickness.
LC brass seems to form about right in the neck area. IIRC Wilson designed the cartridge to compensate for the thicker body brass.

I had trouble with PPU brass, because the body seemed to be thicker brass. I had several rounds that would not chamber. The following were my results:

PPU .223 brass formed by cutting off the necks, forming in 7.62x40 sizing die and trimming to length:

0.300" inside neck dia.

0.013-0.014" neck thickness at the mouth.

LCOFB formed the same way:

0.306" inside neck dia.

0.010" neck thickness at the mouth

Fire formed brass LCOFB:
0.333" outside neck dia. at the mouth (Don't really know if this indicates max chamber dia.)

Sierra Pro Hunter 125gr. .308 bullets:
0.3078 - 0.3079" ( check 20 bullets to be sure) This surprised me that they are ALL UNDERSIZED.

Sizing 158 gr. cast bullets to 0.309"

Chamber drawing shows mouth dia. of the chamber at 0.334". I know this is not exactly what my neck chamber dia. is.

Seems obvious that the neck wall thickness of the PPU brass was the culprit.

I turned the necks of the PPU brass down to .011" and have had no more problems.

Just be sure to check and measure a few loaded rounds before you go to the range to fire form loads.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Timberhawk:
I know this is an old thread, but it seemed better to post here than start a new thread.
Has anyone been using CFE BLK in the 7.62x40?
I was also wondering about Barnes Black Tipped 110 Gr. TAC-X bullets. Will they seat properly in the 7.62x40? Barnes says they will open up at 1,300 FPS.
View Quote
So where is report?  I myself tried CFE BLK and was disappointed, maybe I need to add more, it really starts to perform when starting to compress but per normal testing I started low.  In my 221FB CFE BLK absolutely blows out of the water when comes to velocity and single digit ES.  In 300BLK it performs OK with cast but velocities are on low side.  I did pickup World Shooters Blackout 10lb because it was on clearance 15.99 and free ship/hazmat but its sadly disappointed, groups twice as 1680.  Maybe I haven't found the magic load yet so I'll keep trying.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Finally got some ammo in this caliber.  I've had the rifle for years, but still haven't learned to load my own ammo.  My own fault, of course.

Going to test fire my rifle soon, and hopefully hunt with it this fall.  I'll keep  y'all updated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Went out and shot my rifle last week, finally.  The good news is it works.  Now the bad news.  Every piece of brass I picked up looked like this:

Attachment Attached File

They were neatly piled up for the most part, but all were dented.  Do y'all think this is an over gas issue, or would a heavier buffer do the trick?  Right now I'm using a standard carbine buffer.

Also, accuracy was not what I would call consistent.  The flash hider came loose while I was shooting, so that may have been the issue.  99% sure my scope was tight.  Further testing will determine if it the gun, the scope, or the shooter.

I've got about a month to get this sorted out to be able to hunt with it this season.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I would say you might have a bit of force with the ejection.

But really not that big of a problem.  Heavier buffer, or recoil spring, could solve the denting. (I do like Wilson's flatwire springs.)

The loose flash hider isn't going to help accuracy.  You would think that by the time the flash hider would come into play the bullet would be out of the muzzle and on its way to the target.  But I played a bit putting a flash hider (standard birdcage style with a close section intended to be indexed on the bottom) on a Ruger Scout Rifle and found that the point of impact on the target could be altered several inches just by rotating the enclosed section of the flash hider.

I'll also say that with my first 7.62x40 rifle I was rather disappointed in the accuracy.  Then I fired shot number 100 and something happened.  My groups tighten right up to where MOA five-shot groups became standard.  I imagine the barrel just reach its "break-in" point, or something else I can't explain, but ever since that point this rifle has been my standard "I want to feel good about accuracy" weapon.

For what it is worth, this rifle (16") prefers the 125 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter, but my second rifle (20") shoots the 125 gr. Nosler BT a tad better.

Tinker a bit and give the rifle time before judging it too hard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Graycard:
I would say you might have a bit of force with the ejection.

But really not that big of a problem.  Heavier buffer, or recoil spring, could solve the denting. (I do like Wilson's flatwire springs.)

The loose flash hider isn't going to help accuracy.  You would think that by the time the flash hider would come into play the bullet would be out of the muzzle and on its way to the target.  But I played a bit putting a flash hider (standard birdcage style with a close section intended to be indexed on the bottom) on a Ruger Scout Rifle and found that the point of impact on the target could be altered several inches just by rotating the enclosed section of the flash hider.

I'll also say that with my first 7.62x40 rifle I was rather disappointed in the accuracy.  Then I fired shot number 100 and something happened.  My groups tighten right up to where MOA five-shot groups became standard.  I imagine the barrel just reach its "break-in" point, or something else I can't explain, but ever since that point this rifle has been my standard "I want to feel good about accuracy" weapon.

For what it is worth, this rifle (16") prefers the 125 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter, but my second rifle (20") shoots the 125 gr. Nosler BT a tad better.

Tinker a bit and give the rifle time before judging it too hard.
View Quote
I'll play around with a heavier buffer and see what happens.

The flash hider is an A2 style .30 cal.  When I installed it, for it to index properly, It would have to go another 3/4 of a turn.  I thought this would be too tight and effect accuracy so I just snugged it.  A thread protector is on its way as we speak.

I figured there would be a bit of a break in.  Should've started shooting this thing sooner. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Season opener 2019, Nester the molester ruined opening day here in GA, but day 2 was a victory. Made contact with 2 does yesterday, 1 shot each. Finally using A1680 25gr with a 125gr Sierra Prohunter on top. One down at 30 yrds and the other at 70 yards. About 30 seconds apart. Both DRT. Damn I still love this round.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine is one of the early Wilson barrel, 1x10 twist, only using Wilson Ammo 125gr ballistic tip. Deer and hogs usually dead with one shot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Late update from deer season. 5 rounds sent downrange, 5 deer in the freezer. Still loving this cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Did some more shooting with today with this caliber.  It was really hot so I only shot about half a box of ammo, but things are improving slightly.  This was my best 3 shot group, using my truck bed as a rest at 50 paces.  

Attachment Attached File

However, I'm still getting dented brass.  And comparing the recoil with a 5.56 AR I also shot today the 7.62x40 rifle was hitting much harder.  

I guess a heavier buffer would be the next step?  It seems that all of the affordable adjustable gas blocks are out of stock; I've been searching for one for my .308 AR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Did some more shooting with today with this caliber.  It was really hot so I only shot about half a box of ammo, but things are improving slightly.  This was my best 3 shot group, using my truck bed as a rest at 50 paces.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/214097/IMG_0385_jpg-1536757.JPG

However, I'm still getting dented brass.  And comparing the recoil with a 5.56 AR I also shot today the 7.62x40 rifle was hitting much harder.  

I guess a heavier buffer would be the next step?  It seems that all of the affordable adjustable gas blocks are out of stock; I've been searching for one for my .308 AR.
View Quote

I would run an "H" buffer if you are currently running a standard weight buffer.. that should slow the bolt velocity down a tad bit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:51:39 AM EDT
[#33]

I would run an "H" buffer if you are currently running a standard weight buffer.. that should slow the bolt velocity down a tad bit.
View Quote

In the last week I put an H2 buffer in the rifle.  Recoil is much better but I'm still getting dented brass.  

Also, my mags aren't holding the bolt back on the last shot.  My ASC 10 round mag catches the bolt carrier not the bolt itself.  My PSA 10 round mags don't catch anything.  Haven't tried a USGI 20 round mag yet.  

I'm using Wilson Combat's ammo currently.  Velocity on the box is listed at 2350.  Max velocity on the same load in their reloading data is a bit slower.  Is Wilson's ammo loaded hot?
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like the bolt velocity may still be a bit fast, do you have a lower with a rifle buffer/stock that you can swap out with real quick to see if it helps it any, that should add another .6 of an ounce of buffer weight over the H2 and .2 under an H3. I would definitely try different mags also (I have a known good mag that I keep in my range bag just for that purpose along with a known good bolt group, to help troubleshoot issues). Another option would be to install an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like the bolt velocity may still be a bit fast, do you have a lower with a rifle buffer/stock that you can swap out with real quick to see if it helps it any, that should add another .6 of an ounce of buffer weight over the H2 and .2 under an H3. I would definitely try different mags also (I have a known good mag that I keep in my range bag just for that purpose along with a known good bolt group, to help troubleshoot issues). Another option would be to install an adjustable gas block.
View Quote

Finally got a chance to try a lower with a rifle stock. Brass is still coming out dented, and recoil seemed to be more brisk than my carbine stock with the H2 buffer. On the bright side a USGI 20 round mag worked well, holding the bolt open on the last round.

Another option I could try is having my Dad’s friend load some ammo for me. I still have a feeling Wilson’s ammo is loaded a little hot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I have also had trouble with PPU brass, but in a different caliber:  6.5 x 54 Mannlicher.  I think the primer pockets aren't tight enough (too large).  I started with a minimum charge of 4350, and primers backed out about 1/32".  Headspace seems fine, though.
I won't be buying any more PPU brass for rifle cartridges.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Anybody still tinkering with the 7.62x40?  I've finally learned to load my own ammo, and I'm prepping brass to load some for this caliber.  Obviously, I am late to the party

I have 300 pieces of Wilson Combat made brass, and around 45-50 pieces of once fired brass from Wilson loaded ammo.  Which would be the best to use to make a small test batch?  I plan to use 1680 powder and Sierra Pro Hunter 125 grain projectiles.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I for one use mine at least a couple of times each week.  I set it up as my "Night Time Coyote Rifle."   I built this one in 2011 and have about 4,000 rounds through it, but it is still MOA accurate.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Graycard:
I for one use mine at least a couple of times each week.  I set it up as my "Night Time Coyote Rifle."   I built this one in 2011 and have about 4,000 rounds through it, but it is still MOA accurate.
View Quote

That is impressive.  I built mine as a lightweight, handy rifle for deer and hogs.  Where I hunt, seldom do I have a shot past 100 yards.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Season opener yesterday and the 7.62X40 did not disappoint. Still love this round. Wish barrels where still available like they where. Would love to do one in 20". Too bad arfcom will not host pics. Got a sweet 10 point bout 10 to 8 yesterday morning. Bout 55 yrd shot. Went about 40 yrds and piled up next to my stand.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#41]
This is a great cartridge  . I've talked myself out of a 300hamr many times ( the 7.62x40 spiritual successor) . I hope Kurt is doing well .

* quite a testament to  Kurt that there is a 15 y/o thread here .
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I’m hunting with my 7.62x40 this year for the first time. No shot opportunities yet, but I’m hoping that changes soon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I recently had an 18” 7.62x40 barrel made by MDWS from a 4 groove 1:11.25 twist 41V50 Green Mountain blank.  

I haven’t accuracy tested it yet, but I have about 130 rounds through it.  I’ve hit steel easily to at least 200 yds with basic loads (M80 + 23.5 SWBO, 110 NVG + 26.5 CFE BLK).  Accuracy work up will be in the near future.

I’d like to directly compare SW Socom, 1680, SWBO, and CFE BLK eventually.

Having just converted almost 300 LC cases to x40, I’ll be loading up a bunch as soon as I have the free time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By kicsibors:
I recently had an 18” 7.62x40 barrel made by MDWS from a 4 groove 1:11.25 twist 41V50 Green Mountain blank.  

I haven’t accuracy tested it yet, but I have about 130 rounds through it.  I’ve hit steel easily to at least 200 yds with basic loads (M80 + 23.5 SWBO, 110 NVG + 26.5 CFE BLK).  Accuracy work up will be in the near future.

I’d like to directly compare SW Socom, 1680, SWBO, and CFE BLK eventually.

Having just converted almost 300 LC cases to x40, I’ll be loading up a bunch as soon as I have the free time.
View Quote

Just curious, why didnt you go with the 300 HAMR?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GGGBeo50:

View Quote

Because I have a condition…  

But seriously, I enjoy supersonic 300BLK enough that I wanted a  more powerful 30 cal in the AR-15.  I chose it over tha Ham’r because the 1mm extra length allows loading of some longer bullets.  At the same OAL, handloaded x40 is indistinguishable from the Ham’r, and I can load 110 bullets to 2.255” like the Wilson data shows. I won’t use the 130 Speer FP, so I don’t worry about that.

While I do have plenty 110 V-max & Varmageddon and 125 TNT & Nosler BT, I also have lots of  blem 150 SST (308, not Savage) and 147 M80 bullets that’ll all load to 2.25”.  If I got the Ham’r, I’d be limited to just the lighter bullets, and this build isn’t just for hunting, so I definitely wanted to load the cheap heavies.

If I wasn’t on the MDWS forum, I probably wouldn’t have gotten interested in either the x40 or Ham’r.  It was also definitely a “want,” not a “need,” and already having two wildcat cartridges and a 300BLK, the x40 presents no new challenges.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#46]

But seriously, I enjoy supersonic 300BLK enough that I wanted a  more powerful 30 cal in the AR-15.  I chose it over tha Ham’r because the 1mm extra length allows loading of some longer bullets.  At the same OAL, handloaded x40 is indistinguishable from the Ham’r, and I can load 110 bullets to 2.255” like the Wilson data shows. I won’t use the 130 Speer FP, so I don’t worry about that.

While I do have plenty 110 V-max & Varmageddon and 125 TNT & Nosler BT, I also have lots of  blem 150 SST (308, not Savage) and 147 M80 bullets that’ll all load to 2.25”.  If I got the Ham’r, I’d be limited to just the lighter bullets, and this build isn’t just for hunting, so I definitely wanted to load the cheap heavies.

If I wasn’t on the MDWS forum, I probably wouldn’t have gotten interested in either the x40 or Ham’r.  It was also definitely a “want,” not a “need,” and already having two wildcat cartridges and a 300BLK, the x40 presents no new challenges.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GGGBeo50:

Good points . Much like the 25-223 vs 25-45 sharps
Page / 35
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top