Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/25/2020 8:23:49 AM EDT
Decided to type this up to help out those of you looking to "build" or troubleshoot an AR in x39, since I haven't been able to find a thread like this yet. All of this information has been compiled over several years, from reading these forums, YT videos, and lots of personal experience. I've put together and tested about a dozen or so in all kinds of configurations, and would like to pass on this experience to you. This guide will focus on the AR mag lower variants, because you could always go out and buy a CMMG mutant or BRS-47 if you wanted.

First, the basics

You will need a 7.62x39 enhanced firing pin and some kind of XP hammer spring to eliminate light primer strikes. I would recommend a Black Rifle Arms pin and a Wolff spring. Those are what I have used with good results. Some say you only need one or the other, but I like to have both, seems to give me less issues that way. The good news is most quality 7.62 BCGs ship with said enhanced pins nowadays.
Do NOT use the super light drop in trigger units, as the hammer velocity is not sufficient to detonate berdan primed cartridges. If you want to run a high quality trigger, opt for a geissele or similar trigger which uses full power springs. Also, if you're building from parts, make sure your stripped upper has M4 feedramps, and prior to assembly ensure the feedramps on your barrel don't stick out further than the ramps in the upper, as that will be a frustrating problem to fix after assembly (ask me how I know)
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Magazines

Long a much lamented issue with 7.62 AR rifles. Thankfully now we have C-products/Duramag who are pumping out reliable mags at an affordable price. This is the only brand I can recommend. ASCs and D&Hs just don't cut it. It is possible to modify said magazines to function, but buying duramags outright will save you a lot of time and frustration. For those of you who still have an issue with c-products, remember this company is not the old c-products. The original c-products is now ASC, still making bad mags to this day. In my experience, Duramags have been completely and utterly reliable. It may sound unbelievable, but I've never had a misfeed using one of those, with every single build I've done.

Bolts

The elephant in the room when it comes to x39 ARs. Premature bolt breakage. In my opinion, this reputation comes from the early stages of the 7.62 AR on the commercial market, and is maintained today largely by the high volume, poor qc mfgs and a poor understanding of how the operation differs from a 5.56. Not exactly plug and play. Virtually untested, and usually made by awful companies like model 1 sales or BCA. Nowadays there are many reputable companies making parts for the AR in this cartridge, and obviously many more cheaper mfgs too. Stick with the ones I list in this guide and you will have no trouble. LMT makes the most bombproof bolt money can buy, and it has a price tag to match (~$200). EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that LMT has stopped making 7.62x39 bolts. You can still find them for sale but they are even pricier than before. An arfcom user by name of amphibian ran close to 7,000 rounds in his full auto SBR and still couldn't break the bolt. If money was no object, this would be my first choice. Black Rifle Arms is next on this list, my first rifle was put together with a complete upper of theirs, and after about 3k rounds there are no signs of cracks or other premature wear.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Other options include AIM surplus, Toolcraft, KAK and Brownells. I have had good experience with all of these. I have also heard good things about the young manufacturing bolts. They look high quality, I would buy with confidence. If you purchase a nitrided bolt I would HIGHLY recommend getting a phosphate x39 extractor (I will go into more detail below). But first

Buffers/springs

Because of the steep case taper, the bolt thrust is higher than a 5.56 AR, despite the lower chamber pressure. This combined with overgassing, a common issue with barrels in x39, can induce premature wear and breakages in bolts and extractors. Slowing down the bolt is imperative to make a reliable rifle in the long term. It may run with the 3oz buffer but it will beat the hell out the gun. With carbine length gas, I have found an H2 + standard weight (sprinco white) spring works the best. For pistol length gas I would up it to an H3 w/ sprinco hot white spring.  Or just run it with the heaviest buffer it'll still function with if your rifle is very gassy.

Extractors

7.62x39 ARs are also notorious for being hard on extractors, for all the reasons listed in the above section, and the fact that most of the ammo run through these guns is cheap steel, not brass. If you tune your buffer and gas system correctly, your extractor will last much longer. Personally I've only ever broken one, a PSA nitride variant, and it was after ~2500rds and 8 mag dumps in the span of a few minutes. Because the extractor has to be widened out to accommodate the wider rim, there's less material holding the claw in place. The nitriding process simply makes it too brittle in this area, which is why I implore you to use a BRA phosphate extractor (if you don't opt for the LMT and their $40 extractors). I have not broken one yet, but unfortunately I do not have a machine gun lower to run these on. I am of the belief that extractors are consumable, so I keep a few spares in case, just like my other rifles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Gas system

Carbine length + adjustable gas is the way to go. I've heard of issues with midlength and rifle length just not letting enough gas in, especially with steel case ammo. You could opt to open up the port, but in my opinion carbine length with an adj. block is the most reliable option. Gives you all the gas you'll need and you can tune it lower from there. Same applies to pistol gas if you're running a super short barrel. Adjustable gas blocks are a godsend for these builds. I've heard people have had success with Adams Arms and superlative arms piston systems as well, but your mileage may vary depending on port size.

Complete uppers/rifles

The very first rifle I put together was with a Black Rifle Arms complete piston upper. Since the day I popped it on my lower it has run like a raped ape. No feeding issues, no short stroking, perfect extraction, and no sign of premature wear to date. This is what I would recommend to everyone if you can afford it, these guys are professionals and have been doing R&D on 7.62 ARs for a long time. Unfortunately, their uppers are out of stock most of the time, and are a bit pricey, but they're worth every penny if you can get one. PWS and POF also make excellent uppers/rifles in this cartridge, and come in close behind BRA. PSA and a small company called Mas Defense (assembled with PSA parts) used to put out really great value uppers, but those have been gone for a while as well. So, if you want to save more money, your best bet would be a parts build. My beater rifle in this cartridge happens to be a PSA, and it has also run like a top (aside from the broken extractor) much to my surprise considering the base rifle was under $500.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Final thoughts

The thing to remember about these rifles is that there is no "mil-spec". These simply do not have the R&D time behind them that the 5.56 AR does, and there really isn't that much info out there about them, so people don't even know why their rifles are failing. I believe I have outlined the most critical factors in ensuring a reliable build in this caliber. The most important of which being: DON'T BUY CHEAPLY MADE PARTS. Buy once cry once. Aside from the barrel, bolt and mags it still retains parts commonality with the standard AR, which is a big advantage over proprietary systems like the mutant in my eyes. I hope that this information is helpful to you, and good luck with your builds!

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Great post. Thank you!

What upper would yoqu reccomend in a pistol length? I'm thinking 11.5 to 12.5".
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Black Rifle Arms makes an 11.5 piston upper, that would be at the top of my list. 11.5-12 is the perfect length for x39, only losing about 80-90fps vs a 16" iirc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Addendum: Barrels

Don't know how I overlooked this LOL. Anyways, there are lots of good barrel makers out there, just make sure you pick one with a trustworthy name and you should be good to go. A few examples are Faxon, Green Mountain, POF, Black Rifle Arms, and KAK. Not much to say about this part, besides to check and make sure you're getting a true .311 diameter bore, not .308. EDIT: Faxon barrels apparently are .308 diameter. Unless you're handloading with .308 bullets I would opt for a different mfg.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
mine is .310, and it works fine for me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 20" DPMS rifle gassed 7.62x39mm upper and it would not run with the factory gas port. Not even close. I opened the port incrementally and ended up with  a .125" (1/8") gas port before it would run 100%. You could even go larger, my ejection pattern is around 4:00 o'clock with light recoil.

I see several companies showing .120" gas ports on their rifle gassed 20" barrels, I would suggest that dimension as an absolute minimum.

AK-47 gas ports are huge. They have to be because of the weight of the entire piston and bolt carrier group. Around the same amount of powder is used in the 7.62x39mm a 5.56mm weight wise, however the powder used in an AK is faster burning which generates less port pressure.

My standard loads using Hornady 123 grain SP bullets are:
24.5 grains of H4198 or
28.0 grains of H322.
Remington 9.5 or CCI-200 primers.
IMI/K+P/PMC brass
2.200" OAL.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Great info. Few things...pretty sure LMT quit making x39 bolts sometime last year. They were heavily discounted for a few weeks, then they were gone.

any particular reason you haven't tried the young manufacturing bolt? Everything I've seen says that it's as good as you can get aside from the LMT.

Barrel Feed ramps, any experience with barrels with one single feed ramp instead of m4? It's been said that because of the case taper x39 rounds tend to turn a bit coming in and a single feed ramp on the barrel works better. PSA as far as I know is the the only one new that make a barrel like that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ll agree with most of this thread, especially the enhanced firing pin.
But in a std. single stage trigger a Wolff XP hammer spring will give you a 10 lb. trigger pull. That sucks.
A std. hammer spring should run steel case just fine. Start there. Or try a 2 stage trigger with an XP spring, at least the felt pull is only slightly worse. This is the setup I run in my 5.45x39 carbine. It will NOT ignite surplus 7n6 without the enhanced pin and the XP spring.

Or if you want to spend a few more $ try the Hiperfire trigger with the ‘booster coil’ springs. Kind of a PITA to install but will give you max hammerforce with a great break. I run one in my 7.62x39 carbine with the std. hammer spring when I was having an occasional misfire with some 80’s prod. Yugo surplus.

If you’re running any steel case besides crappy Tula, you probably won’t have any issues with enhanced pin & std. spring.

And a big +1 for CPD / Duramags, great mags for 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 6.5 Grendel steel case.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#12]
good info so far for people who are building a 7.62x39. I also would recommend the hyperfire trigger for these builds. I had one I bought a few years ago when they were clearing them out for like half price in my AR10. well, when I decided to build a 7.62x39 pistol I swapped it into the pistol build along with a redXarms firing pin. trigger pull is about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. this thing runs 100% reliable with CPD 30 round mags and has yet to have any malfunctions. the barrel is a green mountain 9" (actually 8 1/2") with .311 bore and pistol gas and 8.5 or was it 9.5 twist I don't remember. it was designed to run subs with a faster twist and don't see it available on GM's website anymore. I used a kaw valley precision muzzle device. I run an H3 buffer and damage industry enhanced chrome silicone spring. I used bear creek side charging upper and handguard on an Aero lower with an SBA3 brace and DI optical red dot. even Tula runs 100% through it. someday I hope to suppress it.

after new grip and hand stop, current setup.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great info. Few things...pretty sure LMT quit making x39 bolts sometime last year. They were heavily discounted for a few weeks, then they were gone.

any particular reason you haven't tried the young manufacturing bolt? Everything I've seen says that it's as good as you can get aside from the LMT.

Barrel Feed ramps, any experience with barrels with one single feed ramp instead of m4? It's been said that because of the case taper x39 rounds tend to turn a bit coming in and a single feed ramp on the barrel works better. PSA as far as I know is the the only one new that make a barrel like that.
View Quote

I wasn't aware they stopped making bolts, I will have to edit the thread. Just looked - you can still find them but they're even pricier than before. As for the young bolts, I haven't been able to get them when they're in stock, they go quick. I would love to test one out when I can, they have a stellar reputation. And as far as the single feed ramp barrels, you would be correct about PSA being the only mfg. I have seen people modify theirs to mimick this to help with a problem gun, but not really necessary for most cases imo. In my experience M4 has worked just fine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
good info so far for people who are building a 7.62x39. I also would recommend the hyperfire trigger for these builds. I had one I bought a few years ago when they were clearing them out for like half price in my AR10. well, when I decided to build a 7.62x39 pistol I swapped it into the pistol build along with a redXarms firing pin. trigger pull is about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. this thing runs 100% reliable with CPD 30 round mags and has yet to have any malfunctions. the barrel is a green mountain 9" (actually 8 1/2") with .311 bore and pistol gas and 8.5 or was it 9.5 twist I don't remember. it was designed to run subs with a faster twist and don't see it available on GM's website anymore. I used a kaw valley precision muzzle device. I run an H3 buffer and damage industry enhanced chrome silicone spring. I used bear creek side charging upper and handguard on an Aero lower with an SBA3 brace and DI optical red dot. even Tula runs 100% through it. someday I hope to suppress it.

https://i.imgur.com/reWrwdd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DbtpMUx.jpg

after new grip and hand stop, current setup.

https://i.imgur.com/XnuuNOe.jpg

View Quote

Very nice. I'm a fan of the shorties myself. 7.5" PSA barrel, toolcraft bcg, KVP linear comp, H3 buffer and sprinco hot white. Never had a single issue with it, been 100% since day 1 (with CPD mags and wolf ammo). Through many magdumps and at least 1500rds. Best part is the upper only cost me $280
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#15]
EXCELLENT post....... THANKS!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
EXCELLENT post....... THANKS!
View Quote

This!

Lots of Very Good information!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#17]
For anyone with an LMT 7.62x39 bolt, I got a spare extractor from Primary Arms about 2 years ago. Good source for LMT parts.
When I bought my first LMT bolt many years ago, they went out of production a year later.
So they may come back again one day.
They’re great bolts but man are they pricey. When they went on ‘going away’ sale for $150 a few years ago I grabbed another for my pistol build. But only cause my first one is like 12 years old and going strong. There’s also some really good bolts for a third the price of LMT’s MSRP. Toolcraft & AIM Surplus are two of them.

There’s a very old thread on feed ramps in this forum that shows a pic of a Bushmaster 7.62x39 feed ramp, it’s just one wide ramp with no lower support for the bolt. My first build was an Alpha Shooting Sports upper w/M4 feed ramps, with ASC mags rounds would feed low and hit the space on the barrel extension between the lower lugs. So I was tempted to do this to mine, but started by just rounding/smoothing everything slowly, which helped, but wasn’t 100%. I also worked the ASCs over, and swapped in stronger springs. Almost 100%

Then I got CPDs gen III (now DuraMag), that fixed it, they fed much higher with no mods. Years later I bought a PSA upper and the unmodified CPDs ran just fine in the unmodified PSA, and the ASCs still would occasionally misfeed.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know where to find quality 10.5 nitride 762x39 barrel In stock?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Couldn't find 10.5s, but there's an 11 here

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/7-62x39/11-0-inch/chf-76239-11-inch-carbine-melonite-barrel
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Long a much lamented issue with 7.62 AR rifles. Thankfully now we have C-products/Duramag who are pumping out reliable mags at an affordable price. This is the only brand I can recommend. ASCs and D&Hs just don't cut it. It is possible to modify said magazines to function, but buying duramags outright will save you a lot of time and frustration. For those of you who still have an issue with c-products, remember this company is not the old c-products. The original c-products is now ASC, still making bad mags to this day. In my experience, Duramags have been completely and utterly reliable. It may sound unbelievable, but I've never had a misfeed using one of those, with every single build I've done.

Just wondering what mods can be made to my older ASC mags to make them work better. I'm in Commifornia so can't get a hold of any better mags like Duramag right now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just wondering what mods can be made to my older ASC mags to make them work better. I'm in Commifornia so can't get a hold of any better mags like Duramag right now.
View Quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxAEbSuMhc

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Very nice. I'm a fan of the shorties myself. 7.5" PSA barrel, toolcraft bcg, KVP linear comp, H3 buffer and sprinco hot white. Never had a single issue with it, been 100% since day 1 (with CPD mags and wolf ammo). Through many magdumps and at least 1500rds. Best part is the upper only cost me $280
https://i.imgur.com/XnuuNOe.jpg
View Quote

thank you! and back at you nice looking build you got. yeah, I like short barrels a lot too. I love the 7.62x39 cartridge and have been into them ever since I got my first SKS back when you could get them around 50 to 100 bucks. then came an SA93 and a Norinco SKS Model M or D (don't remember) with the thumbhole stock. I also have the shorter barreled SKS referred to as a paratrooper model. I would post pics but don't want to pollute the thread anymore than I already have. but thanks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Addendum: Barrels

Don't know how I overlooked this LOL. Anyways, there are lots of good barrel makers out there, just make sure you pick one with a trustworthy name and you should be good to go. A few examples are Faxon, Green Mountain, POF, Black Rifle Arms, and KAK. Not much to say about this part, besides to check and make sure you're getting a true .311 diameter bore, not .308.
View Quote

Here's some research I did on 16" barrels before settling on YHM and KAK. Sorry, it won't format in columns here...  

Faxon and select GM barrels are 1:8 twist. Suppose if your into subs those would be a possible choice.

Faxon is .308 which would make it a good choice for someone hand loading that wants to use 308 bullets. I've loaded 308 SMK bullets for a Mini30 years ago to see how it would do and it shot 2" at 100yds. It had a 308 bore as well.    

Manufacturer/Length/Profile/Twist/Bore/Weight/Steel/Coating
YHM/16"/Diamond Fluted/1:9.5/311/26.6 oz/4140 CM/Melonite QPQ
Gorilla Machining/16"/Hbar/1:10 /?/?/4150 CMVS/Nitride QPQ
Green Mountain/16" /M4/1:9.5 or 1:8/?/26.4/4150/Chrome bore, phos
Black Rifle Arms/16"/medium tactical/1 in 9.5/311/29.7 oz/4150/Nitride
KAK/16"/medium  /1:9.5/311/26 oz/4150/Melonite  
KAK/16"/medium  /1:9.5/311/26 oz/416 SS/Mat blasted
Spinta/16"/Socom/1:10 /?/?/4150/Parkerized
CBC/16"/Heavy/1:10 /?/?/4150 CM/Phosphate
Faxon/16"/Gunner/1:8/308/23.7/4150/QPQ Nitride
Bear Creek/16"/Heavy/1:10 /308/36.8/4150 CMV/Parkerized
PSA/16"/A2/1:10 /?/?/4150 CMV/Nitride
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here's some research I did on 16" barrels before settling on YHM and KAK. Sorry, it won't format in columns here...  

Faxon and select GM barrels are 1:8 twist. Suppose if your into subs those would be a possible choice.

Faxon is .308 which would make it a good choice for someone hand loading that wants to use 308 bullets. I've loaded 308 SMK bullets for a Mini30 years ago to see how it would do and it shot 2" at 100yds. It had a 308 bore as well.    

Manufacturer/Length/Profile/Twist/Bore/Weight/Steel/Coating
YHM/16"/Diamond Fluted/1:9.5/311/26.6 oz/4140 CM/Melonite QPQ
Gorilla Machining/16"/Hbar/1:10 /?/?/4150 CMVS/Nitride QPQ
Green Mountain/16" /M4/1:9.5 or 1:8/?/26.4/4150/Chrome bore, phos
Black Rifle Arms/16"/medium tactical/1 in 9.5/311/29.7 oz/4150/Nitride
KAK/16"/medium  /1:9.5/311/26 oz/4150/Melonite  
KAK/16"/medium  /1:9.5/311/26 oz/416 SS/Mat blasted
Spinta/16"/Socom/1:10 /?/?/4150/Parkerized
CBC/16"/Heavy/1:10 /?/?/4150 CM/Phosphate
Faxon/16"/Gunner/1:8/308/23.7/4150/QPQ Nitride
Bear Creek/16"/Heavy/1:10 /308/36.8/4150 CMV/Parkerized
PSA/16"/A2/1:10 /?/?/4150 CMV/Nitride
View Quote

Interesting, I assumed Faxon was .311. I will update the thread, thank you. Also, how has your experience been with gorilla machining? I've seen their parts before but was hesitant to purchase.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been pleased w/ my UniMags, they're down to $20 before shipping.  Listed as clearance, so likely there will be no more when these are gone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Pws makes a good 7.62x39 ar
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

KAK CHF if you don't mind 11"
or

10" Diamondback.  Don't know about the quality, but it is nitride and it is on sale.
https://www.primaryarms.com/diamondback-firearms-762x39-ar15-carbine-barrel-nitride-10

10.5" Bear Creek.  Phosphate only.  
https://www.righttobear.com/Bear-Creek-10-5-Pistol-Barrel-7-62x39-p/1108-b762chb10.5110.htm
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Interesting, I assumed Faxon was .311. I will update the thread, thank you. Also, how has your experience been with gorilla machining? I've seen their parts before but was hesitant to purchase.
View Quote

Gorilla Machining is an HBAR so I passed. Haven't used anything by them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Cason engineering 7.62x39 bolt that has over 10k rounds on it without even a broken extractor, not sure if they make them anymore. I also have an older Aim 7.62 nitrided bolt (used in a 264 lbc) that has a few thousand rounds on it, it recently broke the extractor but since they have a lifetime warranty they sent me a new one for free.

The rifle with the Cason bolt has a chrome lined green mountain barrel and shoots Hornady steel cased sst ammo into .75-1.5” groups consistently after 10k rounds. Usually gets a steady diet of golden tiger for target practice. My kids and I have killed a lot of deer with that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a Cason engineering 7.62x39 bolt that has over 10k rounds on it without even a broken extractor, not sure if they make them anymore. I also have an older Aim 7.62 nitrided bolt (used in a 264 lbc) that has a few thousand rounds on it, it recently broke the extractor but since they have a lifetime warranty they sent me a new one for free.

The rifle with the Cason bolt has a chrome lined green mountain barrel and shoots Hornady steel cased sst ammo into .75-1.5” groups consistently after 10k rounds. Usually gets a steady diet of golden tiger for target practice. My kids and I have killed a lot of deer with that rifle.
View Quote

I've heard of Cason's great reputation, but i haven't been able to find any for sale. It seems to me they went out of business but I can't say for sure. Their facebook page has been dead for 4 years. Would you happen to know the steel type of the cason bolt and extractor?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Even several years or so ago The only way I could get ahold of them was by phone, must be a really small shop. I don’t recall what type of stainless steel it is but it was supposed to be really tough and really expensive, lol. Looks different than any bolt I’ve ever owned.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#32]
First of all: awesome thread (needs to be stickied)!

Any recommendations regarding an A5 buffer system with the carbine gas system? Does it "soften" enough to make the difference when shootin steel cased ammo? Is it better to stick with a standard buffer system?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to mess with spring and buffer weights, now I just use an adjustable gas block. I personally think the #1 failure point with 7.62x39 is the magazine, #2 is a bad extractor design. #2 isn’t as common as it used to be. I’ve had real good luck with c-product mags in both 7.62x39 and 6.5 grendel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
First of all: awesome thread (needs to be stickied)!

Any recommendations regarding an A5 buffer system with the carbine gas system? Does it "soften" enough to make the difference when shootin steel cased ammo? Is it better to stick with a standard buffer system?
View Quote

Thank you! And personally I don't have experience with the A5, I'm sure it would run just fine as long as you use the right buffer weight. I would opt for the A5 H1 or H2, depending on your gas port size (an adjustable block really helps as well)
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Gas port size does vary a lot with 7.62x39 barrels.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Where does Windham fall in terms of their 7.62x39 AR. Ive heard good things.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Will a "regular" adjustable gas block work fit a x39 upper?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Yup, just make sure the barrel diameter is correct.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm thinking the seekins unit, the one where you dial in your setting then there's a lever where you can switch between suppressed and unsuppressed. Should work for a 11.5 in build. Best I recon key points are...
Pistol length gas
Phosphate extractor (does no one make a tool steel version?)
Lengthed firing pin/high speed hammer for hard primers
M4 feed ramps/match barrel extension
*I forget the verbage* but unobtanium bolt
Duramags
Anything else? I plan in running a lot of corrosive ammo. I believe chrome lined everything is recommended. Thoughts? Ballistol bomb it/run it?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm thinking the seekins unit, the one where you dial in your setting then there's a lever where you can switch between suppressed and unsuppressed. Should work for a 11.5 in build. Best I recon key points are...
Pistol length gas
Phosphate extractor (does no one make a tool steel version?)
Lengthed firing pin/high speed hammer for hard primers
M4 feed ramps/match barrel extension
*I forget the verbage* but unobtanium bolt
Duramags
Anything else? I plan in running a lot of corrosive ammo. I believe chrome lined everything is recommended. Thoughts? Ballistol bomb it/run it?
View Quote

Don't *need* the LMT bolt, a BRA, Young MFG, or the others I listed will work well. 11.5 should be carbine gas, but you've got everything else right. And for corrosive ammo yes chrome lined is best.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Where does Windham fall in terms of their 7.62x39 AR. Ive heard good things.
View Quote

I haven't had experience with them personally but I've heard they run well, haven't heard anything really negative about them either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Windham Weaponry is owned by the man whole started the original Bushmaster. He has a wealth of experience and a great reputation in the industry. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a Black Rifle Arms piston upper 7.62x39 . I do run their enhanced firing pin . I also use the Timney 4lb single stage drop in trigger on an Aero lower ( and Anderson and 17 design ) . I have had zero lite strikes.. C products and AR Stoner mags Never had an issue . I was able to order another upper from Black Rifle arms and should receive it at anytime . I use it to shoot hogs and it will knock them down
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Even several years or so ago The only way I could get ahold of them was by phone, must be a really small shop. I don’t recall what type of stainless steel it is but it was supposed to be really tough and really expensive, lol. Looks different than any bolt I’ve ever owned.
View Quote

Its 2021, there is no excuse to not have at least some of a web presence and no a basically blank webpage and a facebook account that hasnt been update since 2016 doesn't count.

All that aside I just finally picked up a KS47 after toying and researching the x39 AR idea for years. I knw it doesn't fit the original post of the thread but a bit more perspective on options out there is always helpful and also this would have all the regular ar15 upper quirks non ak mag x39 ars have. Ive read a great many things and am relatively knowledgeable on the subject but this will be my first practical experience with the round in this gun. I also live in Michigan where it gets cold and I dont usually do a ton of shooting during the winter months, also ammo prices right now obviously so it could be a while before I actually get it out for more then maybe a few mags.

The plan though is to shoot the living piss out of this gun when I finally can get out and see if I can break anything. Then fix it and continue that process to see what ends up happening and if I can get a dead reliable gun out of the deal. Personally I really don't think it will take much if anything. My bet is I probably break the extractor and have to replace it with something better because these tend to have some issues with them. Im not trying to hijack the thread but I also feel that having the info on one place instead of scattered all over the forum is more helpful. Also remember one guys opinion with one gun...YMMV
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Good info lok993.
I really wanted this so I'd not have different mags, but was never in-stock. I've heard good things about KS47, but never had opportunity to check it out. I like my AK47, but really like the AR for hunting. KS47 would have been the cat's meow. I ended up with several AR47's that take the C-Products banana mags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Enhanced firing pin definitely get one. I'd stockpile a spare bolt, it'll go eventually. I'm shooting a Radical Firearms AR47 with C-Products mags. I have had two mags fail to feed reliably and the solution is to send back and they send you two mags back for each failed mag.

I've got probably 5000 rounds thru the Radical and shot every ammo but red army standard and corrosive.
I broke the bolt last summer and killed the adjustable gas block last month. Radical sent a replacement bolt and Odin is replacing the AGB. That and the mag issues is the total problems so far.

For a (in 2016) $600 rifle, Radical was cheap enough to ride hard and put away wet. I had a pair of high end binos once and was so afraid of damage, I didn't really use them. I wanted something that was a lightweight "throwaway gun" so I would not have to worry about abusing it. Enter Radical.

I'd go to the machine gun shoot and do mag dumps up to 500 rounds in a day. Other than it getting really hot (suppressor maxed the thermometer at 525°) and cooking off the lube which will cause cycling issues. (easy fix, bring CLP). I have a Hybrid suppressor so recoil and "bang" is well tempered. People pick up my spent steel to figure out what I'm shooting and I get routine comments how quiet it is.

It's borderline 140 db, "eyeballing it" with the can. It's quiet enough while hunting I can shoot 2-3 rounds without earpro and not hurt my ears. I'd not do a range session.

Money no object, I'd buy the CMMG. The Radical you can see some minor manufacturing mistakes, and the upper and lower have a little more play than I'd prefer. But it's $600.  I have a Leupold 2.5x8x36 which I use to spot and stalk and the Radical makes for a compact lightweight platform that goes thru brush well. The 7.62x39 can punch thru brush and vines to find it's mark far better than 5.56 NATO.
AR47, yeah sold.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Hello, 7.62x39fan

Regarding the LMT BCG, when I purchased mine directly from LMT (10 years ago maybe?) they stated the BCG's they were selling were the surplus from a gubmint contract that was cancelled.
I purchased (as I recall) three complete BCG's and a loose bolt or two, that was the very last of what they had on-hand to sell, so I reportedly cleaned 'em out.
I never had much success at the time getting them to run, although I was using (at the time) Standard of the Industry parts, that list included ASC mag's, as well. I've since purchased a few Duramags, and hope to get back on that project soon.
I always figured the Uncle Sugar contract LMT referred to was blind optimism by some misinformed General, and it rocked on until they slipped in the ASC mag's for testing......Then, LMT got the cancellation notice.
I did muse a bit about them apparently trying to make the AR-47 (M-47?) concept a reality on the battlefield, though. It would seem there was a certain amount of preference for both the Stoner platform and the "Commie cartridge". I respect them for at least giving it a go.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Picked up my first LMT bolt 5 years ago (5k rounds and still going strong) and picked up another back in spring of 2019 when they put them on closeout for $149. No more left now from what I've heard.

Bird
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Do these rifles run ok with the standard M4 barrel extension or does it need to be opened up a little?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top