Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2022 1:00:22 PM EDT
Was gifted a 6x45mm barrel at 12" with a 1/10 twist. I did the midway usa YouTube video with Larry Porterfield on assessing your barrel twist, so I think I'm correct at the 1/10 twist. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this type of setup or similar?

The gentleman I received it from was Army Ranger in 60's and 70's and did a lot of wildcat rounds. I have 6.5/06, 7mm/08 from him too. I'm learning the military had been trying to see if those ballistics 6x45 were beneficial back then but I can't find simple loads for this type of setup. I believe I'm not looking in the right area. I have the reloading manuals from the 80's/90's from Speer, etc. But might need to update some Information. I've definitely read up quite a bit and at the moment I have WIN 748 I'm able to use but am reading 8028, h335, h322 are also options. Apparently  h335 compared to h322 makes a bigger fireball out of the barrel and I'm reading certain powders like longer barrels, etc. I could be wrong but just what I think I'm reading in some of the forums and literature out there.

I'd like to get the barrel re-rifled to spin the "as heavy as possible" bullets, maybe up to 80, 85, 87gr or so and I have to put a pin and weld compensator on it to be legal here in washington. I'm originally from AZ.

Goal is to get some hogs, javalina, coyote, self defense, and I simply just like accuracy, to make my own ammo and enjoy building these tools.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It was a popular benchrest cartridge before the PPCs took their throne as kings of that sport.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got load data for this round on my personal laptop, I'll upload later.

CD
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Ohhh. Ok. I didn't know that. Thx. I will read up more on ppc.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an older Hodgdon Reloading magazine with a bunch of 6x45 loads in it. Used with success for my 20" build. If you IM me your cell # or email, I will send you pictures of the pages.

Edit, my build is a 20" Satern barrel, not a 16". Sheesh, I guess it's been a while since I played with that one...
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to shoot 6x45 quite a bit.  PM me your email address and I'll send a PDF of load data.

It's a great cartridge.  I always wondered why it wasn't more popular.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had at least one 6x45/6mm-223 or whatever you want to call it since the late  80's.  I try to keep all of my 6mm brass nickel so they're easy to tell apart at a glance.   Try, as right now I know I have a box of hollowpoints leftover from coyote hunting that are in brass cases.   The shoulders  are very easy to bulge if you try to crimp too hard or have uneven length brass.    They've all shot great, and as mentioned the older Hodgdon reloading manuals (mine is #26) have reloading data.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to get the barrel re-rifled to spin the "as heavy as possible" bullets, maybe up to 80, 85, 87gr or so and I have to put a pin and weld compensator on it to be legal here in washington. I'm originally from AZ.
View Quote

Would be better served just buying a new barrel.  I don't think you will have any problem with a 10 twist.  Try it before you do anything rash
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The 1:10 will shoot 87/90's without any problem. I own six of those puppies and have shot the 87 in matches/PD fields since the early 90'3. Won a ton of trophies with them. I also have shot a bolt gun barreled Savage at 500 yard F-Class and did well with the 87's.

Greg
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top