Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2020 4:37:59 PM EDT
Why build it? Why not what the hell I say
I can send picks I just love my Aero A4 20 inch thing is not a target rifle but man is it fun to shoot and u feel barely anything with the rifle gas system
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there any commercial ammo in 6x45?  I don't mind reloading, but I don't want to be forced to reload.  I've always thought this was an intriguing cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Not right now! I think it would be great for three gun! I enjoy the round the 70 tnt are deadly
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 10.5 in 6x45... completely different level of wow in that cartridge in a SBR
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Omg please tell me more I can still change the build what makes it great
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
87’s at 2450-2500 FPS. Really think of all the mag length options and imagine them in a short barrel compared to a 223... ??
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I think a 10.5 with a gov front site would be awesome. I just like the long rifle feel and the recoil is a joke in a rifle gas system but this does look awesome and I have ran in my other set up Berger 87 and the are deadly accurate
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Built one with an 18" custom barrel.  It's a laser beam.  The beauty of this cartridge is that compared to 5.56, the same weight bullet is a good 200 fps faster in 6mm.  That may sound strange, but it's the physics of more bullet base exposed to the powder column.

For example my 5.56 load with a Hornady 75g match BTHP averages about 2650 fps with a 20" barrel.  My 6X45 with a Hornady 75g V-Max averages about 2840 fps with an 18" barrel.  The V-Max isn't as efficient as the match bullet, but I use my 6X45 for hunting.  With quality 6mm match bullets, I'd expect even a little more velocity over the 5.56.

I have a bunch of 85g bullets I'll be loading next.  On reloading 6X45, it's no different than loading 5.56/.223.  No extra case prep is required.  The die sizes the case from 5.56 to 6.0mm, and this is not a harsh strain on the brass.  Brass life is excellent and loading this cartridge is no challenge.

If you don't reload, then it's probably not worth the pursuit, but I load everything from 5.56, 300BO, .243, 6.5CM, and .308.  Reloading is fun and rewarding.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Older picture,
Yes the NT4 has enough clearance and sounds incredible on it. ??

The barrel is a bartlien we cut at the shop, accuracy is incredible. Still have the reamer.

As he said above, it can really move the heavier ones more effectively than a 556. Max loads with most powders often are more than the case can hold, it’s crazy I’m pushing the 87’s 2500 and I’m nowhere near max... . I found old data for faster powders and  I have a load with 1680 and lighter rounds that even I can’t believe how fast it is. Love the round. Might do a 20 in one day.

Dream plan when I made mine was a Robinson XDR micro in 6x45. The KAC 6x35 pdf has some surprisingly ballistics so why not make it a little bigger since I can’t get a PDW?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:
Built one with an 18" custom barrel.  It's a laser beam.  The beauty of this cartridge is that compared to 5.56, the same weight bullet is a good 200 fps faster in 6mm.  That may sound strange, but it's the physics of more bullet base exposed to the powder column.

For example my 5.56 load with a Hornady 75g match BTHP averages about 2650 fps with a 20" barrel.  My 6X45 with a Hornady 75g V-Max averages about 2840 fps with an 18" barrel.  The V-Max isn't as efficient as the match bullet, but I use my 6X45 for hunting.  With quality 6mm match bullets, I'd expect even a little more velocity over the 5.56.

I have a bunch of 85g bullets I'll be loading next.  On reloading 6X45, it's no different than loading 5.56/.223.  No extra case prep is required.  The die sizes the case from 5.56 to 6.0mm, and this is not a harsh strain on the brass.  Brass life is excellent and loading this cartridge is no challenge.

If you don't reload, then it's probably not worth the pursuit, but I load everything from 5.56, 300BO, .243, 6.5CM, and .308.  Reloading is fun and rewarding.

View Quote

This is why we need a like button..

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a McGowen 18in heavy barrel
Thing is lethal. Mounted on a spikes punisher lower and Anderson upper with a cheap cabelas AR scope and it can do more than my other 5.56 now I am thinking a gov A4 with 6x45 barrel would be sick! Has anyone tried the 70tnts they are cheap and work great
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you use an adjustable gas block or carrier? I have a 22 inch BHW I was going to use an adjustable carrier or block but if that isn’t necessary I have everything I need on hand to get her up and running.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I do not have an adjustable gas block but I have never had an issue shooting it I am thinking of maybe getting one for the 20 inch but I want it with the front site block
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I am going to go with either a 10.5 build or standard gov 20 inch and see how she goes! Based on what others have said it should be better than the 5.56 even with a SBR
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
The 6x45 is one of my favorite wildcats. So I am extremely happy to see so many people using it in here. One of my favorite loads is a seirra 95gr AND using a max load of IMR 8208 XBR. Generally is just too long for most AR15 mags, but could probably work in those extended variants.

I really want to make a bolt action in the caliber. Unfortunately with brownells becoming the sole distributor of the Howa actions, it has been hard to find a 223 short action, mini only and I definitely don't want one of those. May try a savage axis if I can find something cheap enough. I just want a bolt gun to be able to run the long max loads!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I was going to do that too bolt action wise. But after trying it out and single loading my bill 18 inch McGowen barrel the thing is completely lethal. I have had great work with the 87 he Berger’s I have not tried anything bigger though! The bullet deletion for this caliber is wonderful and honestly better that the 224 caliber. I have no idea why this has not caught on. I just need to submit my order for my custom barrel and be done maybe I will order both an SBR and a gov 20 inch just to see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mnwhiskeyman:
I was going to do that too bolt action wise. But after trying it out and single loading my bill 18 inch McGowen barrel the thing is completely lethal. I have had great work with the 87 he Berger’s I have not tried anything bigger though! The bullet deletion for this caliber is wonderful and honestly better that the 224 caliber. I have no idea why this has not caught on. I just need to submit my order for my custom barrel and be done maybe I will order both an SBR and a gov 20 inch just to see.
View Quote

On your comment about why it hasn't caught on, I think it's just because 5.56 is so deeply entrenched because of the military.  However, if someone had had hit upon the two cartridges at the same time...5.56 X 45 and 6 X 45...I don't think they would have given 5.56 a second glance.  

Basically a free 200 fps and/or the ability to run heavier bullets at the same fps as 5.56 bullets is a win-win that would not have been overlooked.  It's just the way things develop sometimes.

As far as reloading goes, there's just no downside...no special brass, no special brass prep, no excessive brass wear, no special magazine, great bullet selection, etc.

Once something gets so entrenched for so long in military use, it's nearly impossible to derail it.  Look how they keep talking about replacing the M16/M4 platform and even the caliber.  If they knew and had started with a 6 X 45 to begin with, it would be the same for that caliber now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Reloading is so simple and case life is so good too! I think I have finally made my decision and will go with a gov 20 inch and see how that works it will be an A4 everything minus the 5.56 should be killer I will go with a McGowen barrel too since I love the heavy barrel I already got
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Would love to get a AR barrel spun up for it. I just know if I did i would always want to run the long loads and would hate to single load them. But if i come to my senses soon and decide to make an upper, who makes barrel for the caliber at the moment? I know i should be looking at the 6mm ARC as i am set up for the 6.5 Grendel(my favorite normal AR cartridge) so it would be a simple neck down if i didn't want to buy dedicated brass. But 5.56 NATO brass is cheap and everywhere and is still my favorite wildcat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
All are special order right now but one Satern barrels has then it’s a 20 inch and would work but I need a slimmer one for mine. But this is in stock everyone else special order
I think it is worth it
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got an A1 in 6 X 45. It's super light and handy.

I occasionally mount a Colt carry handle 3x on it for hunting.

This is an old pic before I got a Nodak A1 lower for it

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:
I've got an A1 in 6 X 45. It's super light and handy. 

I occasionally mount a Colt carry handle 3x on it for hunting.

This is an old pic before I got a Nodak A1 lower for it

http://newphillysports.com/milsurp/A1kit.jpg
View Quote

That looks fantastic!! How long have you had it in what kind of accuracy do you get when you have the 3x scope on it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Just want to let everyone know that Columbia river arms is still having the 30% off sale and they do chamber 6x45.

Trying to see if I can get a Remington 783 barrel in 6x45 from them since the 783 can use savage small shank barrels.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

That looks fantastic!! How long have you had it in what kind of accuracy do you get when you have the 3x scope on it?
View Quote

I got the barrel about 3 or 4 years ago. It's a mystery as to it's origins as it appears to be an original A1 that was re-bored.

Accuracy is really good. close to MOA (if I do my part) with 87 gr Hornady Varmints and 23.5 grains of H335.

Was getting decent accuracy with 70gr TNT's and 26.2 grains also
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Columbia’s secondary company has a 16” barrel for sale might get it for a carbine build wth
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like I am placing my order for a heavy barrel 20 inch for target work out to 600 should be good too. I know it can go that far. If a 223 can so can a 6x45 I might put in an order for a 6mm Grendel too what the hell
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#26]

On your comment about why it hasn't caught on, I think it's just because 5.56 is so deeply entrenched because of the military.  However, if someone had had hit upon the two cartridges at the same time...5.56 X 45 and 6 X 45...I don't think they would have given 5.56 a second glance.  

Basically a free 200 fps and/or the ability to run heavier bullets at the same fps as 5.56 bullets is a win-win that would not have been overlooked.  It's just the way things develop sometimes.

As far as reloading goes, there's just no downside...no special brass, no special brass prep, no excessive brass wear, no special magazine, great bullet selection, etc.

Once something gets so entrenched for so long in military use, it's nearly impossible to derail it.  Look how they keep talking about replacing the M16/M4 platform and even the caliber.  If they knew and had started with a 6 X 45 to begin with, it would be the same for that caliber now.
View Quote

Main reason while it lurks in the shadows is a variety of reasons....as far as a target round is concerned the 6mm PPC killed it off. It best performs with 80-85 grain bullets, that said there are a lot of better 6mm Ar15 rounds on the market to use in that platform. It def has a niche.....Ive like had 3  ar's barreled in it and two bolt guns.........Shooting through a chrony with loads on the high side I was getting around 2750 fps with 85 grain bullets out of a remington 700. Its a very accurate round, easy to reload and gets you in the hunting game in States that dont allow 556.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By catcatcher1:

Main reason while it lurks in the shadows is a variety of reasons....as far as a target round is concerned the 6mm PPC killed it off. It best performs with 80-85 grain bullets, that said there are a lot of better 6mm Ar15 rounds on the market to use in that platform. It def has a niche.....Ive like had 3  ar's barreled in it and two bolt guns.........Shooting through a chrony with loads on the high side I was getting around 2750 fps with 85 grain bullets out of a remington 700. Its a very accurate round, easy to reload and gets you in the hunting game in States that dont allow 556. 
View Quote

Definitely an impressive round, but it's not a "barrel only" swap, is it?  I only know of from seeing articles and such, never had one.  Don't you have to have a lower that is for AK mags or such?  Asking...don't know.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Definitely an impressive round, but it's not a "barrel only" swap, is it?  I only know of from seeing articles and such, never had one.  Don't you have to have a lower that is for AK mags or such?  Asking...don't know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By catcatcher1:

Main reason while it lurks in the shadows is a variety of reasons....as far as a target round is concerned the 6mm PPC killed it off. It best performs with 80-85 grain bullets, that said there are a lot of better 6mm Ar15 rounds on the market to use in that platform. It def has a niche.....Ive like had 3  ar's barreled in it and two bolt guns.........Shooting through a chrony with loads on the high side I was getting around 2750 fps with 85 grain bullets out of a remington 700. Its a very accurate round, easy to reload and gets you in the hunting game in States that dont allow 556. 

Definitely an impressive round, but it's not a "barrel only" swap, is it?  I only know of from seeing articles and such, never had one.  Don't you have to have a lower that is for AK mags or such?  Asking...don't know.

No, it is literally just a 5.56 NATO/223 necked up to 6mm. It is just a barrel swap like 300 blackout. No need for special mags or anything.

I found out they are still making the 783. So I am probably going to use that as a base when I decide to build one. Debating either a 22 or 24 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#29]

No, it is literally just a 5.56 NATO/223 necked up to 6mm. It is just a barrel swap like 300 blackout. No need for special mags or anything.

I found out they are still making the 783. So I am probably going to use that as a base when I decide to build one. Debating either a 22 or 24 inch barrel.
View Quote

Ooops, sorry.  I was referring to catcatcher's post on the 6mm PPC.  I do have a 6X45, love it and reload for it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I wish Barnes would give us a 60 grain range TSX do it. Love my 6x45. I have taken javelina,deer,hog and coyotes with it. Heck you boys have me thinking it will go to Wyoming this year if I draw a tag.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Do it. I just put in my order in for a gov 20 inch and a 6mm Grendel 20 heavy for target work. I like I can run 6mm cal bullets! I am thinking a 12inch sbr 6x45 would be cool too. As soon as I get out in the field I will report my shooting
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I was referring to 6mm PPC as a target round in a bolt gun my bad....6x45 is just a barrel swap in an AR or Bolt gun for that matter.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a weird question. If one was to get a 6mm barrel blank, would that person need a 6x45 reamer or just a 5.56 reamer?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:46:22 AM EDT
[#34]
The 6x45 is one of my favorite wildcats. So I am extremely happy to see so many people using it in here. One of my favorite loads is a seirra 95gr AND using a max load of IMR 8208 XBR. Generally is just too long for most AR15 mags, but could probably work in those extended variants. 

I really want to make a bolt action in the caliber. Unfortunately with brownells becoming the sole distributor of the Howa actions, it has been hard to find a 223 short action, mini only and I definitely don't want one of those. May try a savage axis if I can find something cheap enough. I just want a bolt gun to be able to run the long max loads!
View Quote

@MDStroup
These guys often have the howa mini's for the best prices out there. https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/81992
Less money for a complete rifle than just a barreled action from brownells.

I've been meaning to buy one myself for my 6x45 esq wildcat

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a weird question. If one was to get a 6mm barrel blank, would that person need a 6x45 reamer or just a 5.56 reamer?
View Quote

6x45 reamer. Reason being is you have to cut the neck and throat also.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Do It!!!    I had my 6x45 upper built  prolly 10 years ago.  Black Hole Weaponry 18" SS barrel.  Got it for tournament coyote hunting,  lots fewer spin and goes, mostly DRT.  Hits worlds harder than 223.  Simple conversion.  Gotta try it on whitetails someday..
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#37]
What bullet is that above what grain looks like an 87
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What bullet is that above what grain looks like an 87
View Quote

105gr nosler RDF

Seated 2.310" for ASC mags

It's not a 6x45 however. it's a wildcat of mine(actually a wildcat of a wildcat ). 1.65" case, 30' shoulder and less case taper (ie. "improved")

The case above is only partially hydro formed. Have yet to shoot it yet. It's like #4 in line for testing

Goal is 2350 ft/sec from a 13.7" barrel. Should do 2500 with an 18"

Also going to try 87 v-max's for a general plinking load. (estimated 2600 from the 13.7",2750 from 18")
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@MDStroup
These guys often have the howa mini's for the best prices out there. https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/81992

https://i.imgur.com/WAx4oK2l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QnemyPDl.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The 6x45 is one of my favorite wildcats. So I am extremely happy to see so many people using it in here. One of my favorite loads is a seirra 95gr AND using a max load of IMR 8208 XBR. Generally is just too long for most AR15 mags, but could probably work in those extended variants. 

I really want to make a bolt action in the caliber. Unfortunately with brownells becoming the sole distributor of the Howa actions, it has been hard to find a 223 short action, mini only and I definitely don't want one of those. May try a savage axis if I can find something cheap enough. I just want a bolt gun to be able to run the long max loads!

@MDStroup

https://i.imgur.com/WAx4oK2l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QnemyPDl.jpg

@garred8787

Is that a typo in that website or is that How a really in 222 Remington?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@garred8787

Is that a typo in that website or is that How a really in 222 Remington?
View Quote

It appears that it really is a 222. Googled it and there are reviews of such animal.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#41]
I have an 18" AR and a 16" TC Contender chambered in 6x45, they are a riot to shoot. I make my brass on the Dillon 1050 with the 6x45 sizing die in the very last station, Once fired LC brass goes in (deprime, swage, 223 size/trim, then the final 6x45 sizing), tumble to get the lube off then load. When I'm done firing them I usually turn them into 300 Blackout brass, its just easier to make new 6x45 brass then run them back through. I load 85 grain SP bullets and are plenty accurate. I have a spare R700 SA complete receiver sitting here and am planning to get a barrel made for it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have an 18" AR and a 16" TC Contender chambered in 6x45, they are a riot to shoot. I make my brass on the Dillon 1050 with the 6x45 sizing die in the very last station, Once fired LC brass goes in (deprime, swage, 223 size/trim, then the final 6x45 sizing), tumble to get the lube off then load. When I'm done firing them I usually turn them into 300 Blackout brass, its just easier to make new 6x45 brass then run them back through. I load 85 grain SP bullets and are plenty accurate. I have a spare R700 SA complete receiver sitting here and am planning to get a barrel made for it.
View Quote

a 6x45 throated for 105+gr bullets at Coals 2.54+ really takes on a new life. Also does really well with lighter bullets as well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do it. I just put in my order in for a gov 20 inch and a 6mm Grendel 20 heavy for target work. I like I can run 6mm cal bullets! I am thinking a 12inch sbr 6x45 would be cool too. As soon as I get out in the field I will report my shooting
View Quote

That’s exactly what I did.  12” barrel from X-Caliber topped off with a 3-9x40.  Makes a great little coyote rifle suppressed.  I’m running the 70gr SMK’s.  Pretty accurate little rig.  

Haven’t loaded any of the heavier bullets yet, but I’d like to have a mag full of the upper 80gr bullets as a back up deer gun to keep in my truck for the season.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top