Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2021 4:32:33 PM EDT
I recently built a 6mm ARC with a Ballistic Advantage barrel mated to a Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Grendel bolt and bolt carrier. Using RCBS small base dies I loaded and chambered 108 ELD bullets using [email protected] grains. COL at 2.26,  Velocity 2454fps, SD=6. The issue is that the charging handle locks up after firing and is extremely difficult to pull back. I sometimes need to "mortar" the gun to remove the fired case. The same happens after putting a fired case into the chamber and attempting extraction. A new unfired Hornady case extracts without a problem. Then the charging handle operates smoothly.
I placed a 6.5 Grendel bolt/carrier from a LaRue 6.5 Grendel AR that I own. No issue with the charging handle being stuck. Case ejects smoothly.
My conclusion is an issue with the Ballistic Advantage bolt. I measured fired cartridge base to datum(.350) at 1.1880 on brass fired from the Ballistic Advantage bolt group vs 1.1915 for brass fired with the LaRue. bolt. Is the BA bolt out of spec resulting in compressed headspace making case removal difficult? Can .0035 difference in case size make the fired case (BA bolt) so hard to eject from the chamber? Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it eject the fired round at all?. If you re-chamber a fired round it will stick in the chamber almost every time so that is completely normal. If your rifle is not ejecting the fire case, I suspect it is re-chambering the fired case and you are not getting full extraction or rejection, i.e., short stroking, and that is causing the sticking.  Check your gas system for all the usual suspects that causes short stroking, such as bad rings, gas tube upside down, gas tube not in the block far enough with the gas tube pin in front of the gas tube, not through it, gas ports in barrel and block not aligned, gas key bolt broken...
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top