Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2018 8:33:23 AM EDT
As usual, John knocked it out of the park.

For a birthday present to myself, I sent him a GM 1/12 barrel, a take off FSB and taper pins, and the rest of the needed bits. He supplied the correct lock washer, opened up the gas port, smoothed out the FSB and installed it, cut the barrel, and pinned and welded the flash hider.

The pics are a little rough (I need a new phone) but this thing is beautiful. It's hard to believe that's a used FSB. He lined it up perfectly.

As usual, I sent it Monday and it was back on my front porch by Saturday. I don't know how he does it. Some sort of sorcery I imagine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
He did the same for me earlier this year on a GM barrel, and he reprofiled a new FSB for the project.  Excellent work.

Just got my 605 reprofiled upper back from Braceman too.  Hopefully will have some time to engrave and mill a lower soon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got an M VP 12 I need him to do this to. It was cut down to 16” before I got it, so might as well go all the way now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
605 barrels are great the way JT does them. It is amazing how many 605 clones have been done on this forum. Your barrel looks great, enjoy it. Slick side upper for your build or shaved?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my 605ish!

It just really feels right in the hand and if I had to choose only one of my retro ARs to keep it would be between my SP1 carbine and it and the SP1 would win out if nothing else simply because it’s a factory Colt gun rather than my mixmaster “ish”.

Oops, almost forgot my 4 digit SP1 so it, the carbine and then my 605
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve got an M VP 12 I need him to do this to. It was cut down to 16” before I got it, so might as well go all the way now.
View Quote
Same, but mine has a cast fsb on it that have have debated cutting the bayonet lug off of.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same, but mine has a cast fsb on it that have have debated cutting the bayonet lug off of.
View Quote
Luckily (unluckily?) for me, mine isn’t cast so I don’t have a problem. I’ve posted pics of it here before but here it is again. The pic is zoomed in from the original, but the barrel is featured here with my 602 upper and my very early SP1 upper. I’m not sure which kind of upper I want to mount the barrel to yet for the 605. Any suggestions? I know they came with forward assists, the assist milled off and true slickside.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the one shown directly above 16" without the 3-prong? It looks like it's longer than OP's, & he stated that his was pinned & welded. Appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the one shown directly above 16" without the 3-prong? It looks like it's longer than OP's, & he stated that his was pinned & welded. Appreciate the info.
View Quote
I believe it is, but have never measured it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks. Strongly considering building one of these. Very cool model.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Luckily (unluckily?) for me, mine isn’t cast so I don’t have a problem. I’ve posted pics of it here before but here it is again. The pic is zoomed in from the original, but the barrel is featured here with my 602 upper and my very early SP1 upper. I’m not sure which kind of upper I want to mount the barrel to yet for the 605. Any suggestions? I know they came with forward assists, the assist milled off and true slickside.
View Quote
Go with the assist milled off.  Makes a more interesting rifle.  Just got a 605 milled assist conversion back from Braceman.  He did a great job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Go with the assist milled off.  Makes a more interesting rifle.  Just got a 605 milled assist conversion back from Braceman.  He did a great job.
View Quote
One of those uppers came up for sale a while back but I didn’t think twice because a 605 wasn’t on my radar at the time.  It was original Colt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
What size did you have the gas port drilled to?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
He did my 605 as well...I'm working to tee up my 601 fsb cast sight conversion and 653 GM barrel fsb and doing the handles of the 601 bayonet from Boy Wonder....I should just start a tab!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm not sure honestly. John recommended it for reliability and I would assume he knows from experience what size is optimal.

Quoted:
605 barrels are great the way JT does them. It is amazing how many 605 clones have been done on this forum. Your barrel looks great, enjoy it. Slick side upper for your build or shaved?
I'm actually doing a 605A. There are a few in Knight's collection and I found a scan of a letter from Rob Roy talking about the model designations that mentions it. I don't recall seeing too many clones, especially with the right barrel so, I thought I'd go for it.

I'm going to have to track down a real Colt forward assist though. I thought I could live with a DPMS but, it's just too ugly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
There is pictures of all three types of 605’s in the Vicker AR book vol1, I just did not think about it when I asked...

Here is mine:

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
That's sweet! I really need the Vickers book, too.

What barrel did you use?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
It only has two types.  I was going to post pictures of the book but I'm not sure if thats a legal issue lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I have TBR, & I think it defines the 605 & 605A in there, but I hear the Vickers book has some great photography. I've never had the opportunity to peruse it.

I think TBR has the 605/XM148 combo pic in it.   I'll have to double check.  That is one wicked setup.

Seems one of the nitrided JSE barrels might be a good candidate for chopping to 605 parameters. At least for me (clone-looking/clone-format builds).
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have TBR, & I think it defines the 605 & 605A in there, but I hear the Vickers book has some great photography. I've never had the opportunity to peruse it.

I think TBR has the 605/XM148 combo pic in it.   I'll have to double check.  That is one wicked setup.

Seems one of the nitrided JSE barrels might be a good candidate for chopping to 605 parameters. At least for me (clone-looking/clone-format builds).
View Quote
There's a barrel and an upper on GB right now. Might have a look.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There's a barrel and an upper on GB right now. Might have a look.
View Quote
That appears well executed, & it's in my state. Brownells barrel, JT did the work, etc. Pretty much the same path I was contemplating. Problem is I already have everything except the barrel. Not to mention the GAU barrel that's already with JT this week (last piece of that project) & the XM16 build I have going. The disease is REAL, as they say. Thanks for the tip, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh I feel ya.  I've got 3x 601s, a 602 and a couple prototypes I'm working on all at the same time lol. That's not including rifles that are already done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It only has two types.  I was going to post pictures of the book but I'm not sure if thats a legal issue lol
View Quote
Model A (forward assist) and model B (shaved) on page 168/169 and a slick side on page 313.

On mine I sent an old heavy barrel to JT and had him cut everything down.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine would need to be shortened up as well.

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is pictures of all three types of 605’s in the Vicker AR book vol1, I just did not think about it when I asked...

Here is mine:
https://i.postimg.cc/Kv4p1Hf6/3_E6_D1_E99-427_B-493_F-_BADD-0_AD07_DB7078_C.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/tCfSWNmY/D4_B78_B24-21_F1-4_B5_E-_BA63-5_B263019_D123.jpg
View Quote
Now that is nice. I love the scope. It's a shame they're so expensive, they look great on top of these rifles.

Mine is going to be a bit of a work in progress. I'm going to get it up and running with spare parts in the next week or so and then replace them as I go. I'm hoping to pick up some chrome BCG parts at Knob Creek and hopefully some of the other pieces as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Here is my JT built Model 605 from 3 years ago. It's currently sporting a Braceman engraved 80% NDS-XM16E1 lower I opened and re-finished. Works reliably in all temps, including below freezing! Someone asked what gas hole size is. This was covered in a thread many moons ago, and the size was .110 if my memory serves me correctly. Barrel used was a brand new Colt USGI M16A1 that Fulton-Armory was blowing out for $135 that had been pre-cut. I wish my FSB was cast..... still a great and handy tool the 605.

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Model A (forward assist) and model B (shaved) on page 168/169 and a slick side on page 313.

On mine I sent an old heavy barrel to JT and had him cut everything down.
View Quote
Oh yeah, you're correct.  Its good to get an idea of what all 3 look like, although the one on 313 is only a clone and I guess I discounted it for that reason.  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a real 605 with slickside upper but I'm sure they exist.

EDIT: Nevermind, I have seen this picture before. Difficult to tell but does that look like a duckbill out front to anybody else?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Difficult to tell but does that look like a duckbill out front to anybody else?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463351/CAR-15-Family-677134.JPG
View Quote
It looks like most of them do. Might just be a trick of the light. They do all seem to have the flash hiders timed to the same position though. Odd how the 605 is the only one without an open ejection port.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top