Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 303_enfield:
OP, if you have time could you post the production numbers on the dies? Or post pics, please.

TY
View Quote

Here you go:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By uscgnaveng:
Very cool piece of history!

It's interesting to see the differences in the Colt pony between the roll dies.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369104/Roll_Mark_Comparison_jpg-1425844.JPG
View Quote

Among many other projects I have yet to get to, I really plan on diving into these to notate the differences as well as how many rifles and years these markings would have been on. The hard part is getting them so at least got that done lol

I plan on making a post here soon of other misc purchases that are rare and unique.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The design of the face of the lines is really cool. Usually they are either flat/or tapered.
View Quote

Well, they are called roll markings for a reason.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Never ceases to amaze me what slips out of factories for posterity! Great pieces of history.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the comments! These have been something I have been looking for for a very long time and extremely excited to finally get some!

And I do plan on doing something with these I just do not know what yet. Canvas and leather come to mind for doing something as well as maybe some aluminum pieces or mag wells that are cut in the trigger area.

Also, for the smaller one that is for the 22lr bolt, I am unable to locate a bolt that had those markings. The roll die only says '22 L.R. Conversion, For M16 Pat. Pend, Colt's inc, Hartford, Conn., U.S.A'

As far as markings on the dies, they just say Industrial which I assume is the name and CE-5486 on 3 of them.
View Quote

Very nice items indeed

Here are three pictures of the .22 lr conversion bolt

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I appreciate all the comments! These have been something I have been looking for for a very long time and extremely excited to finally get some!

And I do plan on doing something with these I just do not know what yet. Canvas and leather come to mind for doing something as well as maybe some aluminum pieces or mag wells that are cut in the trigger area.

Also, for the smaller one that is for the 22lr bolt, I am unable to locate a bolt that had those markings. The roll die only says '22 L.R. Conversion, For M16 Pat. Pend, Colt's inc, Hartford, Conn., U.S.A'

As far as markings on the dies, they just say Industrial which I assume is the name and CE-5486 on 3 of them.

Very nice items indeed

Here are three pictures of the .22 lr conversion bolt

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390738/650A3A19-3602-4FF8-971E-AD76EFFE0954_jpe-1445600.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390738/EA6A35DE-E475-4BD6-A1CC-4A8D1B54BA33_jpe-1445601.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390738/661F2710-79A2-40BF-9C1B-745C1357C398_jpe-1445602.JPG

Cool piece!

With this roll die it’s just m16 marked. Not ar15/m16 like this one. I have yet to locate just an m16 marked one
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool piece!
With this roll die it’s just m16 marked. Not ar15/m16 like this one. I have yet to locate just an m16 marked one
View Quote

Maybe your die is an error (M16 INSTEAD of AR15/M16) and it was never actually used, since it was replaced with the correct one
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe there's some Mattel AR-14 dies wandering out on eBay....
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe your die is an error (M16 INSTEAD of AR15/M16) and it was never actually used, since it was replaced with the correct one
View Quote

I don’t know about that but that would be neat!

All of my searching I just cannot seem to locate one. These were all 60’s and 70’s so I’ve been trying to locate possibly the first model if anyone has any more info on that
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe your die is an error (M16 INSTEAD of AR15/M16) and it was never actually used, since it was replaced with the correct one.
View Quote
Or it could've been produced for a military contract that Colt was not successful in securing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Or it could've been produced for a military contract that Colt was not successful in securing.
View Quote

It would be super cool if one of the retro engravers was able to use these as a reference for near-exact patterns.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It would be super cool if one of the retro engravers was able to use these as a reference for near-exact patterns.
View Quote

Until Colt gets wind of it
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was stated previously in the thread that these would not be used for reproduction purposes
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was stated previously in the thread that these would not be used for reproduction purposes
View Quote
Late to the thread but very cool find & thanks very much for sharing. And respect to your context of these as artifacts.

As I was looking at those I was thinking back to a part-time gig I had as a kid in a machine shop while in college between Army stints.
The owner was an old school die-maker.  He'd have taken some measurements, chucked up the right radius piece of soft carbide, put a loupe in his eye and sat down at his pantograph.  Then the piece of carbide reversed would be chucked against the target die blank in an electrically charged oil bath to "burn" down just the right mount leaving the raised die.  Sure the hell beats making stamping dies & stuff that says "Craftsman" or "Snap-On" all day...

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow! I’m late to this thread too.
This has to been among the best retro finds ever.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice find OP. Can’t wait until you start another thread.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
What a cool find!
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I have still yet to find the conversion bolt that matches these markings if anyone knows!

I also need to figure out a project for these (not lower receivers)
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Very cool
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Key chains or similiar may be an option OP. I'd like to have a dog tag blank rolled with the M16 die.

Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Key chains or similiar may be an option OP. I'd like to have a dog tag blank rolled with the M16 die.

Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing.
View Quote

I vote for an aluminum, type III anodized (colt grey), dog tag shaped keychain.

Also the back of a double width aluminum bottle opener would give the dillo some competition.

I’d totally buy one

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

If your making a Key chain use a real stub. There are tons of  M16A1 stubs on GB now. It would be awful to ruin the dies trying to make a keychain.

“Here is my fake m16 keychain”
Or
“Look at my keychain, made from a real demilled M16”
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top