Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2019 7:05:54 PM EDT
https://youtu.be/PrdkvHoVSaY

Saw this on youtube. It has "highly sophisticated, German spring steel". Anyway, looks interesting, never heard of Shmeisser before.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot Show 2019 - New Schmeisser AR15/M4 60rds Polymer Stick Magazine

Looks interesting, if it works reliably. According to the Firearm Blog, the price is advertised at 89.90 EUR or about $110. For that price, I think I’ll stick with the known, reliable Magpul D-60. If it was somewhere in the $50 range, I’d be more interested.

From looking at their website, it appears they’re trying to link themselves to Hugo Schmeisser, who developed the infamous MP38 and MP40 for the Wehrmacht in World War II. One of the founders has the same family name, but I’m not sure if he’s a descendant or just capitalizing on the name recognition. They tout themselves as a German maker of AR-pattern rifles.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
What's wrong with the Magpul D60?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
What's wrong with the Surefire 60 rounds mags? I have 4 of them and really enjoy them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's wrong with the Surefire 60 rounds mags? I have 4 of them and really enjoy them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An ungodly amount of their mags are unreliable garbage.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
These days - nothing. They had a rough launch almost a decade ago and some folks just can't get past that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nothing I guess.
But it’s always nice to have options
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These days - nothing. They had a rough launch almost a decade ago and some folks just can't get past that.
View Quote
@Reiko
Any way to tell a good Surefire from bad, when buying used?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I want some.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By @KitBuilder:
@Reiko
Any way to tell a good Surefire from bad, when buying used?
View Quote
I really can't say for certain! It's the post 2007/2008 ones you want. My newer looking ones have a cage code of OBJZ8 but I'm not sure when that went into effect or if that even matters. For the most part, I just nab them on the EE when they're being sold for $80 NIW since those might be on the newer side. That said, Surefire has a solid warranty. If you have issues with one, just send it back to them and get a brand new one!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
GERMAN GERMAN GERMAN GEEEERRRRMAN!!!

yeah, not feeling it, they shoved the fact that this is German and that is German so much it made me think "WTF you saying? We can't design good stuff!?"  Keep your stupid 60 round GERMAN stick mag. I'll keep buying Okay Industries or Magpul magazines, or drums, made in the United States of America!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yeah, not feeling it, they shoved the fact that this is German and that is German so much it made me think "WTF you saying? We can't design good stuff!?"  Keep your stupid 60 round GERMAN stick mag. I'll keep buying Okay Industries or Magpul magazines, or drums, made in the United States of America!
View Quote
Just what are you trying to say?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I must have missed 60 minutes.  What are you saying?

LOL
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/PrdkvHoVSaY

Saw this on youtube. It has "highly sophisticated, German spring steel". Anyway, looks interesting, never heard of Shmeisser before.
View Quote
Well it looks pretty good.  I like that they disassembled it in the video and more importantly stated it works with suppressors and high pressure ammunition.  Just stating that and showing the AR with suppressor firing with the mag tells me they have really put some thought into the design of this mag.  Proof is in the pudding of course but it looks good so far.  One problem I have with these mags and others like them including the Magpul D60 is they don't have any way of telling how many rounds you have left in the mag.  If you have 60 rounds available and fire in a stressful situation you may have no idea how many rounds remain.  That could end up defeating the purpose when you run dry totally unexpectedly.  It's for this reason that for extreme capacity I like my 100 round beta with clear back.  It's easy to tell at a glance when it will be time to reload.  Anyway I still like the looks of this mag for sure.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I really want this to work.

The D60 is an excellent design, it’s drawback is that the drum shape is bulky, and the options for ergonomically carrying the D60 are very limited. The best advice I have heard about using the D60 is to start with the D60 in the gun, and to then transition to stick mags which are easier to carry.

Ignoring issues with the launch of the Surefire-60, the major critiscm is the aluminum construction. If the feed lips become misshapen or damaged, the magazine becomes unreliable. This is the issue that has historically affected aluminum magazines. If a polymer magazine has damaged feed lips, they tend to be cracked or partially missing, which is easier to identify as a problem compared to out-of-spec aluminum feed lips.

I’m working on a PCC as my current AR obsession, but once that’s complete, I would love to try an IAR-type gun and would absolutely try these mags.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]
The D60 is nice but its a pain to load and its not very bullpup friendly as it pushes against my forearm. I'd like to know more about this mag, price and availability information seems to be lacking.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 1. I will try to post some pictures when I get home. I spoke to the owner of the company at shot show about the design. They wanted to make sure it was reliable in the HK 416. They said that you can jam 63 rounds in it but only recommend 60 so that you can easily load it on a closed bolt. I have not shot it yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st gen yes.
Surefire seems to have ironed out the issues with current model.
Magpul has made their fair share of lackluster products.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have 1. I will try to post some pictures when I get home. I spoke to the owner of the company at shot show about the design. They wanted to make sure it was reliable in the HK 416. They said that you can jam 63 rounds in it but only recommend 60 so that you can easily load it on a closed bolt. I have not shot it yet.
View Quote
Please keep us updated.

I very much hope that it works out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Functionally, its a great drum magazine.

The downside is that its a drum magazine, and all drums have two major drawbacks:
1. Bulk
2. Weight

It's difficult to carry multiple drums without a messenger bag type setup.

And the D60 weighs 20oz empty, about the same as a loaded 40rd Pmag, and a loaded D60 weighs 44oz, as much as 2x loaded PMAG 40's.

So a working polymer quad stack would be really a huge development. They can be carried easily in pouches (similar to a 2x pouch) and they weigh ~1/2 as much empty as a drum mag.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where are these available for sale now?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Schmeisser pointed me to Blueline Global.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
My only complaint is it's slow to load.  A 60 round box mag could attach right to my Caldwell mag charger and load it in 10 seconds or less.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#29]
One interesting feature of the Schmeisser is that the bolt hold open is not placed on the follower itself. The follwer actuates a metal tab on the back of the magazine. I can understand the principle behind this I just hope it’s reliable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone able to find these for purchase? Blueline Global phone just rings and rings.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top