Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2018 2:26:46 PM EDT
So after picking up two stripped lowers to attempt my second attempt at rifle building (first was a ruger 10/22) I ended up buying 4 more through Palmetto state’s sale they were/are having (50 bucks a lower)

The first two are stag arms (one is the American flag etched and the other is the 2nd amendment etched)

Stag arms Flag etched - Is going to be a retro 20” build .....will have some fun bits put on it but mostly sticking to a retro build just for fun

Stag arms 2A etched - have decided this one will be a pistol build ...tongue and cheek FU to gun grabbers by building a “pistol” out of a “rifle” LOL

4 consecutively numbered PSA lowers....well....a buddy of mine want’s to do a pistol build so I’m probably gifting one to him so what to do with the other three?

I was thinking one of the three will be an “accuracy build”....something that will be done over time....not Uber expensive but not low grade parts either

Perhaps consecutively numbered dueling pistols??  LOL get one dipped and do some crazy color like a neon green zombie gun? LOL

Hmmmmmm ideas?

Keep in mind I also have a “stock” Smith & Wesson MP15 16”......so, no need for another one of those....although I guess one can’t argue against a back up LOL

Going to be a fun year!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
First to say;

Welcome to the site

Maybe an accuracy build around WOA
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
MK18 MOD 1
10.3" URGI
14.5" URGI
M4A1 BLK II
MK12 MOD 1
M16A4
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
M16A4
Light weight as possible 20" build
AR pistol build
carbine
DMR
for #6, something in a caliber other than 5.56 that uses a standard lower.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a set of their matching ar15/ar10 lowers. Waiting to get them shipped still though. I would do a 16” 556 and a ~8” 300 BO for sure. If you figure out what size your doing with them it would be cool to have the longest one with the highest serial number and work your way down to a pistol having he lowest serial number.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Take one and file a tax stamp on it then set it to the side. The SBR bug will bite you and you will already have the hard part taken care of.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
8.5" 300 Blackout pistol
10.5" 223 Pistol

That would be at least 2 of the builds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take one and file a tax stamp on it then set it to the side. The SBR bug will bite you and you will already have the hard part taken care of.
View Quote
You know what......that's not a shabby idea!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First to say;

Welcome to the site

Maybe an accuracy build around WOA
View Quote
Thanks! Lots of good info here....
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MK18 MOD 1
10.3" URGI
14.5" URGI
M4A1 BLK II
MK12 MOD 1
M16A4
View Quote
good list!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
M16A4
AR pistol build
carbine
DMR
View Quote
Will do some research on what other calibers can be used with the standard lower.....good idea!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I picked up a set of their matching ar15/ar10 lowers. Waiting to get them shipped still though. I would do a 16” 556 and a ~8” 300 BO for sure. If you figure out what size your doing with them it would be cool to have the longest one with the highest serial number and work your way down to a pistol having he lowest serial number.
View Quote
it did not take more than a week and a half to get my lowers in so hopefully yous will be in soon!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
10.5-11.5” pistol
14.5” lightweight midlength
16” recce
18” SPR/DMR

Shoot, train, and be happy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
10.5-11.5” pistol
16” recce
18” SPR/DMR

View Quote
I just bought two lowers and this is the same list I have
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I build 1 at a time.  Finish a gun, shoot it and have fun with it.  Then I don't grab the next lower off my pile till I have something I want to build.  Otherwise you're just making rifles for the sake of making them.
I do keep a list of thing's I'd like but are not available.  Like a PSA mid-length CHF upper.  If I see one of those, I'll grab it and I already have a lower waiting for it.  I also have lowers here that I've sent off a form1 to SBR even though I'm not sure how I'd like the end result to be.  When you get the stamp back, you're allowed to change your mind and notify the ATF of the new length and caliber.  Go ahead and get the wait out of the way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10.5-11.5” pistol
16” recce
18” SPR/DMR

Cheers. I’m working on an 18” right now, everything else is accounted for.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can't agree more!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
DMR
MK18 pistol
9mm pistol
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I build 1 at a time.  Finish a gun, shoot it and have fun with it.  Then I don't grab the next lower off my pile till I have something I want to build.  Otherwise you're just making rifles for the sake of making them.
I do keep a list of thing's I'd like but are not available.  Like a PSA mid-length CHF upper.  If I see one of those, I'll grab it and I already have a lower waiting for it.  I also have lowers here that I've sent off a form1 to SBR even though I'm not sure how I'd like the end result to be.  When you get the stamp back, you're allowed to change your mind and notify the ATF of the new length and caliber.  Go ahead and get the wait out of the way.
View Quote
Oh as much as I'd like to build a few at a time my finances won't allow that! So it will be one at a time for me. Just fishing around ideas in my head....once I get some solid ideas of what I want to do I can then keep my eyes out for sales......gun show deals.....stuff like that.....I am all too familiar with the tax stamp wait....took about 7 months to get my silencerCo suppressor for my 22/45....but I must say....one of the best firearm related purchases I've ever made!
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah.....setting it to the side will work.....
I tried that too....
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#20]
A 10.5" pistol (just built one and it is my favorite gun now), a couple of 16" guns and an 18-20" precision gun.  I personally like running all 5.56 or .223 wylde chambers.  I've seen some guys that mix and match uppers in different calibers.  That is all well and good until one day the wrong sized bullet ends up blowing your gun up in your hands.  If you are careful this is likely never an issue, but if you have a lot of guns and a lot of ammo (or let a friend shoot with you)....shit can happen.  It also means you have to stockpile fewer calibers for range days or SHTF purposes.  Personally, I don't see the value in the SBR stamp with what you can do on a pistol these days....just my $.02
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't see the value in the SBR stamp with what you can do on a pistol these days....just my $.02
View Quote
AR pistols are still relatively new.  Most of the rules and regulations around them come out in the form of ATF letters which are not law.  More than once they've changed their opinion.  You can shoulder it.  You can't shoulder it.  Ok, you can shoulder it again.  Recently they raided a gun shop and went to all the people's houses who had bought certain guns from them because they decided that you had to measure the OAL with the arm brace collapsed, not extended.  But when they gave black aces the green light for their "firearm" a couple years back, it was measured with the brace extended.  Depending on what day of the week it is, the ATF may decide your pistol is not correct and you've committed a felony.

The rules around SBRs haven't changed since before my grandma was born.  When I get a stamp for a lower, I know I can put a tiny barrel on it, hold it up to my shoulder, but a vertical fore grip on it, etc and I'm good.  Overall length doesn't matter.  Barrel length doesn't matter.  How I happen to be holding it when I shoot it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
16" 7.62x39. classic firearms has uppers for $250. Outfit it however you want. Mine has a quad rail, vfg, vortex strikefire 2 red dot, matech.
The other one, I'd probably build a m4 clone of some sort. Even though you have the s&w, you can have 1 with iron sights and one with an optic or whatever. You can decide if you want a plain Jane m4 or some level of sopmod. I have m4s with carry handles and plastic handguards and others with quad rails, sopmod stocks, folding sight and red dot or 1-4x optic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd throw a stripper party
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

AR pistols are still relatively new.  Most of the rules and regulations around them come out in the form of ATF letters which are not law.  More than once they've changed their opinion.  You can shoulder it.  You can't shoulder it.  Ok, you can shoulder it again.  Recently they raided a gun shop and went to all the people's houses who had bought certain guns from them because they decided that you had to measure the OAL with the arm brace collapsed, not extended.  But when they gave black aces the green light for their "firearm" a couple years back, it was measured with the brace extended.  Depending on what day of the week it is, the ATF may decide your pistol is not correct and you've committed a felony.

The rules around SBRs haven't changed since before my grandma was born.  When I get a stamp for a lower, I know I can put a tiny barrel on it, hold it up to my shoulder, but a vertical fore grip on it, etc and I'm good.  Overall length doesn't matter.  Barrel length doesn't matter.  How I happen to be holding it when I shoot it doesn't matter.
View Quote
I get your point.  I guess it depends on your situation.  The reality is that the ATF wasnt running around arresting people for shouldering their pistols after they changed their mind.  There would be plenty of guys on YouTube in jail.  As for the raised gunshop... those weren't classified as pistols...that was the problem.  They were firearms because of the length and grips and once they decided that folded length mattered there was an issue.

For where I live on a state line and going back and forth regularly, an SBR isn't worth the $200 and headaches of the paperwork.  Would a padded collapsible stock be nice...sure....but a kak blade gives me 80% of the function and 0% of the hassle
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
M16A4
AR pistol build
carbine
DMR
View Quote
I would do an M16A2 instead of the A4, because honestly A4's are pretty Meh. They're more versatile but A2's just have something about them being fixed carry handles... or build a C7 clone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm building out all my spare lowers right now since they're no good naked. The mini-panic lit a fire under me to complete projects. Have 3 pistol builds happening and trying to figure out plans for another 3 rifles. Two are hosting .300 BLK 8.5" SIG Spartan Uppers. I was going to sell one of the uppers but I just might keep both. They're light and sexy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the same problem, Trying to decide what to build with my lowers. But I figure when funds allow it Ill build one at a time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's a good piece of advice I wish I had when I built out my lowers.

When building the guns out, try to find the best upper and lower fit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]
M16a1

11.5" Commando pistol

20" A2/C7

24" Varmint

7.62x39 M4

8-10" 300BO pistol

Then you will have one each of a lower with a pistol buffer, pistol 'arm brace', carbine stock, rifle stock, and varmint stock that you can build as many different caliber/length uppers as you want.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top