BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2020 11:06:55 PM EDT
If you were looking for a factory 6.8 spc ar type rifle, where do you look?
16” barrel?
14.5” barrel?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Just my opinion but I'd go with LWRC and get one of their Six8 rifles if you want a factory built gun. Even better would be to buy one of their Six8 receiver sets and build one exactly to your specs/preferences. Pricier than most, but I think having a receiver and mags that are designed specifically for the 6.8 ammo is worth the cost.

Barrett and Wilson Combat also make 6.8 complete rifles. I'm sure there are others too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, if I was buying a factory 6.8 rifle I would get a LWRC Six8.

Both of mine are home built and use barrels from the company we don't talk about.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Both of mine are home built and use barrels from the company we don't talk about.
View Quote
The way to go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The above is good advice.  In order to use the advantage of the Six8's longer magwell, we need metal mags.
The Magpul-specific mags don't give you any extra COAL.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.

The "advantage" of the Six8 is using polymer mags, the trade off is there is Pmag and it's proprietary. With the standard mag well you can only use metal mags, so far that isn't much of a disadvantage. Reloaders like to push the OAL of the cartridge for a bit more accuracy and speed, for a shooter it's an expensive upgrade. Purchase a barrel with the correct spec chamber and all is good. You get what you pay for after that, within reason.

Be advised that 6.8 is 50% more powerful than 5.56 so a heavier buffer is needed. Case in point, I built a 16" rifle with mid gas and rifle buffer setup, changed to a carbine with carbine buffer, and it started immediately double feeding. Changed to an H3 buffer and it stopped, loading correctly from then on.

Bolt speed was too high and it wasn't ejecting, then tried to feed both into the chamber. Slowed it down and no further problems. I got my rifle back. It's usually best to choose a heavier buffer and to use the longest gas system for the barrel length practicable. So, 16" mid gas is a good choice - avoids the pin and weld etc - and you also get a plus with about 50 fps improvement over a 14.5". No complications.

Select for dwell time, which is gas port location - and lower bolt speeds - which enhances reliable feeding - and you get a good result.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just my opinion but I'd go with LWRC and get one of their Six8 rifles if you want a factory built gun. Even better would be to buy one of their Six8 receiver sets and build one exactly to your specs/preferences. Pricier than most, but I think having a receiver and mags that are designed specifically for the 6.8 ammo is worth the cost.

Barrett and Wilson Combat also make 6.8 complete rifles. I'm sure there are others too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Same here.

The "advantage" of the Six8 is using polymer mags, the trade off is there is Pmag and it's proprietary. With the standard mag well you can only use metal mags, so far that isn't much of a disadvantage. Reloaders like to push the OAL of the cartridge for a bit more accuracy and speed, for a shooter it's an expensive upgrade. Purchase a barrel with the correct spec chamber and all is good. You get what you pay for after that, within reason.

Be advised that 6.8 is 50% more powerful than 5.56 so a heavier buffer is needed. Case in point, I built a 16" rifle with mid gas and rifle buffer setup, changed to a carbine with carbine buffer, and it started immediately double feeding. Changed to an H3 buffer and it stopped, loading correctly from then on.

Bolt speed was too high and it wasn't ejecting, then tried to feed both into the chamber. Slowed it down and no further problems. I got my rifle back. It's usually best to choose a heavier buffer and to use the longest gas system for the barrel length practicable. So, 16" mid gas is a good choice - avoids the pin and weld etc - and you also get a plus with about 50 fps improvement over a 14.5". No complications.

Select for dwell time, which is gas port location - and lower bolt speeds - which enhances reliable feeding - and you get a good result.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

So if I am understanding, purchase an in spec barrel and swap this on any AR15 of my choosing.  Use metal mags.  Be mindful of the gas system and buffer weight.

The LWRC rifles run using the Pmag magazines.  Nothing wrong with the LWRC - proprietary mags are used.

Are there any factory 6.8 rifles besides LWRC to consider?  Barrett?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way to go.
I have two of these barrels and am really pleased with them
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 4 6.8s, a 20 inch from he that shall not be mentioned, a first year release from DPMS which is a 16 inch barrel that was rechambered to SPCII, and a 18 and 12.5 inch Cardinal/Kotronics (company went out of business but made some really great 6.8 barrels).  Only the 12.5 inch Cardinal/Kotronics needed a heavier buffer to slow things down, the other three work just fine with standard buffers and buffer springs.
Of the four, the He that shall not be mentioned barrel is by far the most accurate although all are pretty darned good and all have been 100% reliable.  Also, all 4 have the He that shall not be mentioned specialized bolt and I use that particular 6.8 bolt in all my 6.8 wildcats, 5.56 x 42, 6mm x 43, 6.5mm x 43, four .30 HRTs , .338 Spectre, and my own .338 GRRR.  You won't find a better and stronger bolt anywhere IMO.
For mags, I use PRI 6.8 metal mags which allow for 2.300" COAL or you can get a PRI mag that has the front cut out of it for longer seating if that's your end game.  I have one load in the 6mm that needs longer COAL and I cut the front out of a Lancer AWM so it will load five rounds seated to 2.325 IIRC and it works just fine, but only for 5 rounds then forgetaboutit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I am at the point of shooting mine but have to come up with what buffer and spring to use.

Mine is going on a rifle length stock.   I have carbine, H buffer, and rifle buffers on hand.  I have an adjustable gas system.   If I can swing it I am going to use the rifle and a tubb chrome silicon spring.  Not sure it will work but that’s in the lower now for my NM upper.  Would be nice to have that work and one less thing to swap.

Mine too is a 16” unmentionable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I assembled mine with the barrel maker that can't be named products as well as regular gas block and full profile carrier. Using D&H mags, I haven't had an issue with S&B and federal. Regular lower too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a heads up new frontier armory has six8 receiver sets now.  Not a fan of the upper but meh it's about a third the price
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Google "6.8 barrels", click on the first result and buy a barrel and bolt from him. He is hands down the best and has done a lot to improve the 6.8 after remington fell on their face.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#15]
You asked about factory rifles.  It would be worth checking out Rock River Arms . My first 6.8 purchase was a complete upper from RRA. I’ve been very happy with it. Have several different 6.8s now including one I built using a bolt and 12.5 barrel from the previously not mentioned guy.  Great caliber , it has become my favorite deer cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Another option for a complete upper is Blackstone Arms.

https://www.blackstonearms.com/category-s/100.htm
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
just build an upper

white oak and wilson combat both have wonderfully accurate barrels
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way to go.
This
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way to go.
This

"Both of mine are home built and use barrels from the company we don't talk about"

The company that can not be named...
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I've built a bunch from that fella's barrels and have nothing but good to report.

One of his 5.56 barrels I have might have turned into the most accurate autoloader I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
My old 6.8 build.

Wilson Combat LW hunter 16" barrel

out clanging 400 yard steel

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This

"Both of mine are home built and use barrels from the company we don't talk about"

View Quote
If buying factory, lwrc is the way to go. Roughly 6k rounds through current one. No problems. Ever

Always curious what “he” did to piss everybody off? I had very limited dealing with him, but never any problems
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If buying factory, lwrc is the way to go. Roughly 6k rounds through current one. No problems. Ever

Always curious what “he” did to piss everybody off? I had very limited dealing with him, but never any problems
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

ARF caught him trying to drum up business in a manner they deemed unethical.

I don’t disagree necessarily, but it doesn’t change the fact that his $200 barrels will compete with $400 barrels.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've built a bunch from that fella's barrels and have nothing but good to report.

One of his 5.56 barrels I have might have turned into the most accurate autoloader I've ever seen.
View Quote
This my friend is the absolute fact.  This fella's 6.8 SPC barrels and bolts have filled my freezer with piggies, deer and antelope not to mention outstanding range groups.

" />
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don’t disagree necessarily, but it doesn’t change the fact that his $200 barrels will compete with $400 barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

What is so crazy is there are a whole bunch of us that bought his barrels at whatever ever price he had on his website and they shoot so good you wouldn’t believe it.

There was no reason to do all the stupid ‘shilling’ that went on, that got him and his company banned.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have 4 6.8s, a 20 inch from he that shall not be mentioned, a first year release from DPMS which is a 16 inch barrel that was rechambered to SPCII, and a 18 and 12.5 inch Cardinal/Kotronics (company went out of business but made some really great 6.8 barrels).  Only the 12.5 inch Cardinal/Kotronics needed a heavier buffer to slow things down, the other three work just fine with standard buffers and buffer springs.
Of the four, the He that shall not be mentioned barrel is by far the most accurate although all are pretty darned good and all have been 100% reliable.  Also, all 4 have the He that shall not be mentioned specialized bolt and I use that particular 6.8 bolt in all my 6.8 wildcats, 5.56 x 42, 6mm x 43, 6.5mm x 43, four .30 HRTs , .338 Spectre, and my own .338 GRRR.  You won't find a better and stronger bolt anywhere IMO.
For mags, I use PRI 6.8 metal mags which allow for 2.300" COAL or you can get a PRI mag that has the front cut out of it for longer seating if that's your end game.  I have one load in the 6mm that needs longer COAL and I cut the front out of a Lancer AWM so it will load five rounds seated to 2.325 IIRC and it works just fine, but only for 5 rounds then forgetaboutit.
View Quote
How would you say the re-chamber job worked out for you?  I have an old Ruger 6.8 piston upper that I love but it is spec -I, which doesn't necessarily bother me so much but every once in a while I toy with the idea of changing it to spec -II.  On the other hand it is hard to argue with this so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Same here.

View Quote
The correct answer it adjustable gas block, like Odin or SLR.

I use a low mass carrier and std buffer weight and spring in all my 6.8’s. Control the gas, control the cycling.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 6.8 rifles and 1 pistol. Both rifles sport Daniel Defense bolts and barrels. The pistol has a Wilson Combat barrel.
I've been getting Barrett mags off of GunBroker when I see the auction closes around $18-20 per mag.

Been thinking of doing a 20" barreled rifle. But in no hurry.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I built a 6.8 about ten years ago using a 16" barrel from the
company we can not name. I've been pleased with it.

Last year I assembled a pistol using a Wison Combat 11.3"
barrel. I really like the size or it, may SBR it.

If you are set on a factory rifle Daniel Defense use to sell
some nice looking 6.8s under the "Ambush" name. Not
sure if they still sell them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I have 3 6.8 Ar's.  One is a 16in Rock River upper.  It's a light weight coyote and deer rifle.  Nice shooter and fun to carry

One is an 18in DMR with a Kotonics barrel.  Very accurate.  I used it in a precision rifle class and it was deadly out to 600 yards.  Even made hits out to 1000 but that was a little tougher.

3rd is a 14.5  LWRC M6A2 using the pre-Six8 receivers.  Set up as a SHTF carbine with a TA33.  Even with the ACOG it will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards with 90gr Gold Dots.

I also have an 18in Custom shop barrel for my TC Contender.  That's a sub 5lb deer slayer.

My dad has a slew of 6.8's from CMMG  and Noveske.  Shooters all.

I'd like to pic up a Barret Rec7 2 but that's spendy.  Anyway, I definitely recommend getting a 6.8.  You wont go wrong with LWRC or Barrett but something from Rock River or Stag will do just fine as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Stag is another (Especially LH). Like others have said you can get an upper & mags too. If you like your lower. The.224 Valkyrie uses the same mags.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I did a lot of reading over on 68forums before getting a 6.8 upper years ago. The un-namable along with Wilson and Bison got good reviews there. I Went a different route. At the time you could get a complete 20" upper with a FN CHF barrel at PSA . I went with the PSA upper for an A4 build. It shoots Hornady 110Gr really well. Unfortunately PSA has been hit or miss on availability of 6.8 uppers/barrels over the years.

If I ever build another 6.8, I will go with a shorter barrel and probably carbine or mid length gas system. The rifle length gas system doesn't seem to like the real light 6.8 bullets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Somebody please pm the info that can't be named.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Go to the top of the forum and read the forum rules. Be sure to look at rule #9 and the vendor that can’t be named may be listed there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I have 6.8s made by PSA, a piston LWRC plus barrels from the one who can't be named on this forum. The barrels from one who can't named are my most accurate 6.8 barrels. With my reloads, .5 MOA. My PSA is slightly less accurate and the LWRC Six8 is the least accurate  But, I haven't spent much time working up a load for it. I like the LWRC Six8 and the Six8 Pmags. But not a big fan of piston ARs. I have several Six8 receiver sets that I use for other calibers, like .224 Valkyrie and 6.5 Grendel. Although the Six8 mag is larger that a regular metal mag like PRI's excellent 6.8 mag, you won't gain in OAL with a Six8 mag due to thicker plastic.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Don’t buy a factory rifle unless you definitely must have the LWRC Six8platform.

Personally, IMHO the way to go is build an upper with a barrel from the maker we can’t name. Also get one of his bolts.  Then buy PRI mags.

You’ll have a 6.8 that shoots most factory ammo with good to very good accuracy, and can shoot handloads with extreme accuracy.  PRI mags are pricey, but built like a tank and just plain work.

Note, if you go this route there is a downside.  You won’t be able to up your post count with threads like “My 6.8 rifle is undergassed” or “My 6.8 won’t group” or “My 6.8 mags won’t feed”.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I got into the 6.8 years ago by picking up a 16inch Kotonics upper on the EE. I was skeptical about the accuracy potential of a chrome lined barrel but shouldn't have been, it's extremely accurate and does pretty much the same with whatever weight bullet I feed it. Do a google search of the 6.8 barrels, I'm pretty sure two of the better barrel makers will come up at the top of the search.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I wish I cared to post pics on here but “you know who’s” 16” stainless bbl 1/11.25”
Shouts factory Hornady 110 BTHP 5 shot not three shot into less than .75”
The Privi 115 HP shoots the same 3 or 4 in same hole
S&B 110 FMJ .75”
I have hand loaded 100 GR Accubonds that literally will put 5 rounds in one hole if you can hold it
With a 1x6 PA KISS reticle
Absolutely outstanding
It’s the most accurate sub $200 barrel I think in existence
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#39]
And I’ve killed the biggest pig in my life on the run with this upper over 200 with the Hornady load
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I went dd on my barrel, bcg, and rail. You can get dd to build you a custom 6.8 or you could with the arbuilder.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#41]
LWRC Six8 rifles are probably the best factory 6.8 you can buy. A 14.5" with a pinned and welded FH would be my one and done if I went with them. Their proprietary Magpul magazines usually sell for $10 more than a 6.8 mag designed for standard AR-15 lowers. IMO this is a better engineered rifle.

With that being said I have 4 uppers that work on standard lowers. I built them over 10 years ago and the better magazines and LWRC's latest rifles weren't an option then.

White Oak Armament sells both complete uppers and barrels in 6.8 if you want to build one custom. Wilson Combat would be my next recommendation.

I own a Noveske 13.7" with a pinned and welded brake.
A 16" CLE
A 18" WOA
A 20" Kotonics

While not as expensive to run as 6.5 Grendel, I never shoot either caliber for "fun".  Lapua brass in 6.5 that gets bent upon ejection makes me since in pain.

An old school accuracy load in 6.8 SPC that has shot well in every rifle I own:

Remington 9.5 standard large rifle primer
Remington brass
28.0 grains of H322
Sierra 115 Match King's Seated @ 2.250".
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#42]
The Hornady factory BTHP American Gunner is $12 a box broken down from 200 packs
You can sell the once fired brass for $50
You can shoot one of the most accurate loads that I have ever used for $7 if you collect brass
The 6.5 Grendel you are missing out if you ain’t shooting the Wolf
It’s .25 and it shoots 1.25” groups out of my AA 16” and 11” and runs like a raped ape
I have only broke one extractor and AA mailed me a free one
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Btw I use Barrett mags and they can usually be had for 50% off straight from them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Any user feedback on the Barret Rec 7 DI 6.8 model?  Or the Blackstone Arms 6.8 uppers?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve had several bison armory and Wilson combat barrels both have been very accurate. I love 6.8 but now only have a SBR got rid of my longer barrels.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]
{enjoy your time out}
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
AR Performance builds one hell of an upper!
View Quote
You can’t say that, in for the shit show.

Please read the rules before posting, may not agree with the rules, but those are the rules.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can’t say that, in for the shit show.

Please read the rules before posting, may not agree with the rules, but those are the rules.
View Quote
He didn't state the actual/correct name
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Nevermind..... I see my mistake
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Odd, I tried to find the ban of that place listed.  It didn’t seem to have a specific mention in the addendum.   You just have to know?

I honestly was annoyed I went a long time not knowing who it was that was banned from being mentioned.   I was not in on the early 6.8 craze back in its heyday.  I used to see the occasional oblique references and didn’t get the Beetlejuice of it at all.

Edit, found it!   I was looking at the code of conduct not this sub forum’s own rules.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top