Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 11:32:18 AM EDT
Anyone working on making an AR10 barrel in this?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/the-new-68-western-is-a-versatile-big-game-hunting-cartridge-from-browning-and-winchester/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's basically a WSM but would require short bullets to meet mag length.
A lot of the reason for its creation is long, sleek bullets that wouldn't fit into a 270 WSM.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's basically a WSM but would require short bullets to meet mag length.
A lot of the reason for its creation is long, sleek bullets that wouldn't fit into a 270 WSM.
View Quote

What you are saying is partially true.   They specifically designed this to use the bigger/heavier bullets.  It looks like a 6.5 CM with the shoulder pushed back so it can mee OAL requirements.  I realize that it is a WSM case, but they took cues from the creedmoor
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand that it couldn’t take advantage of the heaviest bullets but should be able to make a lot work
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh, another attempt by Winchester to push the WSM that nobody bought into from the get go.  I think the only way this cartridge is going survive or become anywhere close to mainstream is if someone fits it into an AR platform, otherwise, it won't last long.  

Besides, with the way things are, we can barely get guns and ammo for popular calibers as it is.  The ammo manufacturers can't keep up with the demand for the cartridges we have, what makes them think they can now add another caliber/cartridge into that mix?  I hope some management type people are smart enough to not hobble the production of the calibers people want in order to fit this thing into the production line.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What you are saying is partially true.   They specifically designed this to use the bigger/heavier bullets.  It looks like a 6.5 CM with the shoulder pushed back so it can mee OAL requirements.  I realize that it is a WSM case, but they took cues from the creedmoor
View Quote

For sure, the short, fat, steep shoulder thing is everywhere, with the Creedmoor being the most popular.
SAAMI spec for the 6.8 Western is 2.755 to 2.955 COAL.
Max AR mag internal length is near the middle so it could be done and would probably be badass.
IIRC, bolts, barrel extensions and mags are the issues with WSM ARs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meh, another attempt by Winchester to push the WSM that nobody bought into from the get go.  I think the only way this cartridge is going survive or become anywhere close to mainstream is if someone fits it into an AR platform, otherwise, it won't last long.  

Besides, with the way things are, we can barely get guns and ammo for popular calibers as it is.  The ammo manufacturers can't keep up with the demand for the cartridges we have, what makes them think they can now add another caliber/cartridge into that mix?  I hope some management type people are smart enough to not hobble the production of the calibers people want in order to fit this thing into the production line.
View Quote

This is a Browning cartridge. Don't think Winchester had anything to do with it. This cartridge is for a short action. The appeal is that Browning shortened the WSM case to allow the heavier/longer bullets to  still fit in a SA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is a Browning cartridge. Don't think Winchester had anything to do with it. This cartridge is for a short action. The appeal is that Browning shortened the WSM case to allow the heavier/longer bullets to  still fit in a SA.
View Quote

Browning and Winchester firearms are the same company (FN Herstal), and Browning ammunition is made by Winchester Ammunition (Olin). I'm pretty sure this is an Olin project.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top