AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
300BLK is also stupid quiet (for a supersonic rifle) with supersonic rounds. I was shocked. A 9” blackout with 150s was quieter than a 16” 5.56. That said the SD of a supersonic blackout is poor.

6.5G might be supersonic forever but starting out with 2350fps is going to make range estimation critical. Same complaint about short 308s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
No experience with 6.8 but I love my 300 BLK.  It's a short range round, plain and simple but very affective at short range.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

6.5G might be supersonic forever but starting out with 2350fps is going to make range estimation critical. Same complaint about short 308s.
View Quote

I took my Blackout deer hunting late last year because it was the only suitable gun I had with me at the time.  My poor range estimation cost me the shot.  Next time I'll use something much flatter shooting (and use a laser range finder).

That said, for plinking steel Blackout subs are a lot of fun.  Which one is "better" depends greatly on what you plan to do with the gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Should be comparing 300 Ham'r, not BLK

But I wouldn't consider it unless you reload, and you still have to find bullets.

125gr @ 2500fps
150gr @ 2300fps
16" BBL

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
300 BO - 1350 ft/lbs
6.8 SPII - 1650 ft/lbs
6.5 G - 1950 ft/lbs

300 BO Subs - 500 lbs

1873 44-40 Winchester black powder

I think it is interesting that the rifle that won the west fired a 217 grain bullet at 1100 ft/sec for about 650 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Too bad those people didn't know the danger they were in with a rifle that low powered. Even though it's half the blackouts muzzle energy.

Seems like picking a higher velocity cartridge, then cutting off the barrel to run subs and a can is a contradiction. Since he already has a 5.56, maybe it's better to go for a non-related round for safety reasons.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
300 BO - 1350 ft/lbs
6.8 SPII - 1650 ft/lbs
6.5 G - 1950 ft/lbs

300 BO Subs - 500 lbs

I think it is interesting that the rifle that won the west fired a 217 grain bullet at 1100 ft/sec for about 650 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Too bad those people didn't know the danger they were in with a rifle that low powered. Even though it's half the blackouts muzzle energy.

Seems like picking a higher velocity cartridge, then cutting off the barrel to run subs and a can is a contradiction. Since he already has a 5.56, maybe it's better to go for a non-related round for safety reasons.
View Quote

What length barrel are those figures for?
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
300 HAM'R is a superior cartridge when compared to the 300 Blackout minus subsonic use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
300 BO - 1350 ft/lbs
6.8 SPII - 1650 ft/lbs
6.5 G - 1950 ft/lbs

300 BO Subs - 500 lbs

View Quote

You're really just going to post numbers with no details?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 9" 300 BLK that works well on deer and hogs. I have only taken game inside of 200 yards, but with a  handloaded 125gr. Speer TNT it is very effective. Most are DRT. I also use it suppressed with heavy subs for fun shooting at steel. If I need more than that I can go to my Larue big block in .308. I also like that I can share bullets between my 300 Win Mag,  .308 and 300 BLK.

Having said that I will probably buy a 6.8 or 6.5 sometime in the future just because I like building rifles. Not sure which one yet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both a 6.8 SPC and .300 BO, albeit in completely different setups.  The .300 BO is in a 10.5" barrel, and the 6.8 is a 16" barrel.  The BO was built more as a range toy, with the plan to load 220's subsonic and eventually add a suppressor...although I did just order a bunch of 110gr Noslers to try at supersonic speeds.  The 6.8 SPC is more of a "do everything with one load", basically a 90gr Gold Dot over a healthy dose of 2200.

eta:  I will say this, .300 BO is considerably easier to find brass for.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

6.8 is the perfect match for you.
View Quote

Agreed.  6.8 is extremely versatile and could fill multiple roles, while extending your ethical hunting distance.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What length barrel are those figures for?
View Quote

Sixteen inch, but the numbers are rule of thumb for comparing the calibers. For the Winchester, the barrel length is 20 inches and using 1880's black powder. Besides, not disparaging the OP, but if he isn't a deer or bear hunter to start with, what does it matter. As others have posted, for safety reasons, it's best to go with a caliber that can't be chambered. Before the ammunition apocalypse began, I limited my choices of AR15 calibers on what was available at the sporting goods superstores. That makes it 5.56, 300AAC, 6.8 SPC, or 6.5 Grendel. The 450 Bushmaster was represented, but obviously is a hunting caliber with limited use for self defense.

RS
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sixteen inch, but the numbers are rule of thumb for comparing the calibers. For the Winchester, the barrel length is 20 inches and using 1880's black powder.
View Quote

Bullets used? Factory loaded ammo?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Not relevant to the discussion.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not relevant to the discussion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:18:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I like both. Especially if you have a suppressor.
I shoot Lehighs in my BO suppressed. Animals don’t know you’re around.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SBR, subs, suppressor, NV, IR, shooting something in the face at 50ft = 300BLK. If a single one of those variables is removed, then the 300 BLK is not what you want. 68 all day.
View Quote

If you handload you could split the difference and go 277 wolverine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SBR, subs, suppressor, NV, IR, shooting something in the face at 50ft = 300BLK. If a single one of those variables is removed, then the 300 BLK is not what you want. 68 all day.
View Quote

I have all pistols, and not an single SBR.
I shoot mostly supers.  I have subs, but it is mostly because at one point, FMJ subs were just as cheap, if not cheaper than, super FMJ's  
I don't have NV
I don't have IR
Outside of "50 feet", I have NONE of those variables.

300blk is what I wanted.
I have nothing against 6.8, I think it is a "better" 5.56, especially in the AR platform.   But no need to pigeonhole one caliber to the point of being near useless to prop up another.
It all depends on what the user is trying to do.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you handload you could split the difference and go 277 wolverine.
View Quote

I thought 277 Wolverine is dead , waited 277WLV to go SAAMI but seems forever! Now I doubt MDW even wants to.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I thought 277 Wolverine is dead , waited 277WLV to go SAAMI but seems forever! Now I doubt MDW even wants to.
View Quote

Highly doubt it will ever go SAAMI, but their are a couple of companies that load for it. For me it was about consolidation. I already shoot 6.8 so only having to stock 1 caliber of bullet is nice. Being able to dedicate my 6.8 to run 130gr Bergers for distance was even better.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have all pistols, and not an single SBR.
I shoot mostly supers.  I have subs, but it is mostly because at one point, FMJ subs were just as cheap, if not cheaper than, super FMJ's  
I don't have NV
I don't have IR
Outside of "50 feet", I have NONE of those variables.

300blk is what I wanted.
I have nothing against 6.8, I think it is a "better" 5.56, especially in the AR platform.   But no need to pigeonhole one caliber to the point of being near useless to prop up another.
It all depends on what the user is trying to do.

View Quote

Wasn’t my intention, but rather was trying to point out that the 300 BLK is king of the hill in one very particular need, but outside of that, there are other calibers that would win a face to face comparison.  I have a few different 300 BLK firearms that perform various tasks at work very nicely. For example, the suppressed single shot AAC H&R.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks all for the help. Just took the plunge and picked up a 6.8 upper off the EE.

Now to search for ammo lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Lots of Prvi Partizan115 Grain BTHP  Ammunition Avalable this week on line..
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#25]
6.8 SPC definitely over .300 BO.

Though I'm more a a Grendel guy - truth is 6.8 and Grendel are pragmatically the same round, with the differences more purse-swinging than really meaningful.  

.300 BO for short barrel subsonic suppressed.  that's it, that's the one place it shines.  And spotty there if your first shot matters - since you still get high-decibel first-shot-pop with it, even suppressed.  Also, don't kid yourself - a short barreled subsonic .300 BO is very anemic compared to a standard 6.8/6.5 round.  It's basically pistol power, in comparison to those two rifle power rounds.

And yea, .300 BO blows up 5.56 guns.  It does it a lot more than people think.  And it does it to smart people who are careful, and make sure to keep the .300 BO ammo all on the otherside of the room even.  Same reason they don't put a big red SELF DESTRUCT button on cars next to the ignition button, and then act all supreme when some presses the wrong button in error.  Frankly, .300 BO should never have been SAAMI approved - they almost never approve a round that will readily cross-chamber into another common chamber and kaboom.  No other rounds do that (6.8 and Grendel can't cross chamber into 5.56, nor anything else).
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Depends on application and distance. 300 BO with a 110 to 125 grain will do good to around 250 yards. But since your into 45, have you considered 458 SOCOM?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#27]
As other's have said, .300 BO really shines in a short barrel, plus using the same mags and bolt as a 556 is very handy, and reduces cost and gear you need.

6.8mm with a short barrel is a beast to shoot.  I have a 8.5 inch LWRC upper, and it's not much fun to shoot - but is better now than when I had a Surefire muzzle break on it, when it was about unshootable under a roof for sound echo.  

Ballistics on a .300 BO are not great, so longer range isn't where it shines.

In general -

Short barrel - .300 BO.

Longer range work - 6.8mm or 6.5

Hunting - 6.8mm

A real man has them all, plus 556 and 308.  Except for 6.5mm, that's a sissy round
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Though I'm more a a Grendel guy - truth is 6.8 and Grendel are pragmatically the same round, with the differences more purse-swinging than really meaningful.  

.300 BO for short barrel subsonic suppressed.  that's it, that's the one place it shines.  And spotty there if your first shot matters - since you still get high-decibel first-shot-pop with it, even suppressed.  Also, don't kid yourself - a short barreled subsonic .300 BO is very anemic compared to a standard 6.8/6.5 round.  It's basically pistol power, in comparison to those two rifle power rounds.

And yea, .300 BO blows up 5.56 guns.  It does it a lot more than people think.  And it does it to smart people who are careful, and make sure to keep the .300 BO ammo all on the otherside of the room even.  Same reason they don't put a big red SELF DESTRUCT button on cars next to the ignition button, and then act all supreme when some presses the wrong button in error.  Frankly, .300 BO should never have been SAAMI approved - they almost never approve a round that will readily cross-chamber into another common chamber and kaboom.  No other rounds do that (6.8 and Grendel can't cross chamber into 5.56, nor anything else).
View Quote

Eh, a lot of subjective opinion in your post. I agree that short barrel suppressed subs is the ideal combo for the 300blk. My 6.5in will also launch 110g supers at 2000+fps without insane flash and concussion.

Plenty of smart people do dumb things everyday. Smart and wise are not connected. Does 300blk blow up guns? Guns also kill people right? I've never tried to chamber a 6.5g in my 556 and vise versa.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You blew up your buddies rifle, didn't ya?

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Eh, a lot of subjective opinion in your post...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, a lot of subjective opinion in your post...

Well... yea, that's why we're here! :)
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. 300BO becomes almost useless past 150 yards and subs long before that. The 6.8 was designed to hit hard at 300 but drops off quickly afterwards.

300 uses all the same parts and accessories as 5.56, except the barrel.

6.8 uses different bolt, barrel and mags.

View Quote

This is why I stopped reading the internet when it came to calibers and do all my own research.  300 is useless after 150 yards?  Mkay, take a 110 or so grain bullet from each caliber, what's the difference in ballistics at 150 yards.  Do you know what the drops are?  I'm laughing because the drop between the two at 150 yards will be less than an inch.  At 150, they are very similar.

Go shoot and bring a chrono.  300 blk is essentially 7.62x39 in an AR.  If you're shooting subs, it's essentially .45 ACP in an AR.  Is an AK useless past 150 yards?

6.8 isn't all that great.  It's not generating much more velocity than 300 blk.  Staying in an AR and trying to get heavier grain bullets down range will always be a compromise.  The drop for 6.8 is like 6-7' at 500 yards.  It's hardly a laser.

So since you're going to compromise, you have to decide which compromise is less offensive.  Neither is super awesome when compared to longer cases, but both are still fun.  I prefer 300 myself.  Commonality of mags and bolts is a big reason.  Stupid quiet subs is the fun deal sealer for me.  Supers are pretty quiet suppressed too..  If the world ends, I'm not grabbing 300 or 6.8 anyways.. as I said, they are both compromises and thus far from ideal.  If it weren't for them fitting in an AR, we wouldn't care about these calibers (save maybe for the 300 subs)
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is why I stopped reading the internet when it came to calibers and do all my own research.  300 is useless after 150 yards?  Mkay, take a 110 or so grain bullet from each caliber, what's the difference in ballistics at 150 yards.  Do you know what the drops are?  I'm laughing because the drop between the two at 150 yards will be less than an inch.  At 150, they are very similar.
View Quote

Why is 150 suddenly the magical number?

Go shoot and bring a chrono.  300 blk is essentially 7.62x39 in an AR.  If you're shooting subs, it's essentially .45 ACP in an AR.  Is an AK useless past 150 yards?
View Quote

Again, what's with the infatuation with 150 yards?

6.8 isn't all that great.  It's not generating much more velocity than 300 blk.  Staying in an AR and trying to get heavier grain bullets down range will always be a compromise.  The drop for 6.8 is like 6-7' at 500 yards.  It's hardly a laser.
View Quote

Regarding the bolded bit, compare Hornady 110gr V-Max loads both out of 16" barrels, and then try to say that crap again. The rest of the paragraph I agree with.

So since you're going to compromise, you have to decide which compromise is less offensive.  Neither is super awesome when compared to longer cases, but both are still fun.  I prefer 300 myself.  Commonality of mags and bolts is a big reason.  Stupid quiet subs is the fun deal sealer for me.  Supers are pretty quiet suppressed too..  If the world ends, I'm not grabbing 300 or 6.8 anyways.. as I said, they are both compromises and thus far from ideal.  If it weren't for them fitting in an AR, we wouldn't care about these calibers (save maybe for the 300 subs)
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#33]
My 6.8 is only a bolt gun, but it has been a great performer....normally use reloads in it & it tends to always see use with a suppressor fitted

MAY look into trying it with dedicated subsonic ammo (reloads) once I do more research into recipes for same, etc.
Aside from the Woodleigh (?) 200gr bullet, which I have not been able to find a great deal of information on, I may go with some other heavier for caliber bullets, pushed with whatever pistol powder best suits.

NOT CONNECTED per se, but last weekend I was using Trail Boss loads in a 6.5 Swede with copper plated bullets - likely close to subsonic, but a little over it according to QuikLoad
I'd really like to cast a dedicated bullet for subsonic use in the 6.8, but again, not narrowed down which to use or even what is out there that would fir the bill

Love shooting my LTR with the suppressor on, even though I'm using supersonic ammunition. Good fun!
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well... yea, that's why we're here! :)
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

270 and 308

I have a 300 BO and I’m considering getting into a 6.8/6.5. I’m suffering from analysis by paralysis on this as well. I haven’t decided.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

270 and 308

I have a 300 BO and I’m considering getting into a 6.8/6.5. I’m suffering from analysis by paralysis on this as well. I haven’t decided.
View Quote

There's really no wrong decision between the two.  I like 6.5's better range and cheaper ammo option.  I like 6.8's higher pressure ranting and smaller case diameter.  Unless your goal is 1000 yard gong shooting, both rounds are solid and pragmatically interchangeable.  

I don't think either is going away, though I do think 6.5 has slighlty higher adoption - again thanks to Wolf Steel being an option.  When I go to ranges and bother to pick up brass, I find more 6.5 than 6.8; FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Highly condensed(controversial) short short version:
How often do you plan to hunt past 400 yards?
If up to and including 400 yards more often than not, 6.8spc.
If starting at and past 400 yards more often than not, 6.5g.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Consider MDWS 277 Wolverine if you are trying to consider between 300 BO or 6.8 SPC.
Otherwise, get all three!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top