Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2021 5:37:44 PM EDT
Hello, I’m looking to build a 6.5 grendel upper for deer hunting. The issue is I live in commie-York and in order to hunt with it, it will need to have a fixed 5 round magazine. I’m hesitant to use a steel body mag because in the case of malfunction I would like to be able to remove the floorplate of the magazine and empty the gun safely instead of sticking my fingers in the chamber and having to charge and eject each round.
I haven’t been able to find any dedicated 6.5 grendel polymer mags but I found 3D printed 6.5 grendel followers for sale on eBay, but then what size .223 pmag (or other polymer mag with removable floorplate) would actually/only hold 5 rounds of 6.5 grendel? In order to be ny hunting compliant it has to have a 5 round max capacity, so it wouldn’t be as easy as “only load 5”. I’m not terribly concerned about being stopped in the woods and asked to demonstrate that it only holds 5.. but it would give me peace of mind having it 100% legitimate
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The only polymer magazines I'm aware of is the Amend 2 10 round magazines.  In my opinion, they are not that good.  When left loaded and outside the gun, they swell from the spring pressure and the spring/follower stops working. They jam up.

I use 5 round C Products magazines in my grendel and they function flawlessly.  You can take the bottom off but it could be harder loaded.

ETA: I can disassemble the magazine with 4 rounds in it no problem.  I couldn't with 5 rounds in it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Disassembling with 4 rounds in it.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top