Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2018 10:16:14 PM EDT
Hey everyone.  I am looking to build a 6.5 Grendel for hunting.  I am in NY state so I have some restrictions over most places.  One of them appears to be a threaded barrel.  I can have one but whatever goes on the end needs to be welded or pined so it can't come off.  I don't know anyone in the area that could do that and would mean either doing it myself or buying a bull/crowned barrel.  So far the only crown barrel I can find is 24" and I would prefer to stay under 20".  Any idea where I can get a barrel that fits my needs?

The other thing is a reliable magazine.  The magazine has to be fixed so a bullet button or something similar will be used to secure the magazine so I would like to buy a good 5 round magazine or under to lock into the Lower that will be the best quality.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:06:58 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a few out there if you search for with a 6.5G barrel with out threads. Probably going to be longer than you want. Hell if it has to be where you cannot take it off order the barrel and break and have someone install it after you build with silver solder. Or do it yourself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Adco should be able to pin your device of choice. There are plenty of reliable mags out on the market now quality over quantity. Or you could move to a free state...all in all it is very possible.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
1100 degree silver solder (find a jewelers supply store/website) and a simple MAP gas torch can make a muzzle device permanent pretty quickly and easily.

AA makes pretty good steel mags. not sure if they make a 5rd mag though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with a pinned and welded muzzle device, but if you want a target crown, x-caliber can custom build whatever barrel you want. http://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1100 degree silver solder (find a jewelers supply store/website) and a simple MAP gas torch can make a muzzle device permanent pretty quickly and easily.

[...]
View Quote
Here's a thread with lots of info on the process: Permanently Attached FHs with 1100 Degree Solder
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 6.5 Grendel 20” Shilen barrel from Midway 5 or 6 years ago.   This barrel comes with a matched bolt and has proven very accurate.  The barrel has a Match profile like used in DCM matches with plain recessed target crown and is not threaded.   This and a couple of E-Lander mags should make a good reliable AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/833900/shilen-drop-in-match-barrel-with-bolt-ar-15-65-grendel-service-rifle-hbar-contour-1-in-9-twist-20-stainless-steel
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go with a McGowan Custom AR Barrel...They are reasonably priced and have a 10 week turn around time, for
$265 you get a choice of options (4140 CM Steel or 416R Stainless Steel, Length up to 20", Gas Length, Muzzle
Threading and Crowning, and Std. Machine Surface Finish...)

All of their chamberings conform to SAAMI standards like the 6.5 Grendel (Chambered to a .136" Bolt Depth) for example
which is what most people want, but also offer custom chamberings...

Personally I would go with a: 20" SPR Contour 4140 CMV Steel Bbl. with a 1:8 Twist and Rifle Length Gas System
with No Muzzle Threading and Target Crown...But that's just me.

McGowan
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Just buy whatever barrel that best for your needs and send it off for the pin/weld

I have used John Thomas from Retro Arms works and he is awesome. Very responsive to emails if you have any questions and I had my upper back in less than a week
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Id get a Criterion 18" RLGS and silver solder a brake, they are $299 and usually in stock.

The 18" will give you a good combo of velocity and portability for hunting.

I like the Dead Air Key-Mount brake but there are many out there.

For mags E-Lander are top dog.

Maxim bolts are gtg and $75-80 or you can pony up more for a AA hard use or JP Enhanced bolt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don’t want to bother with something pinned. Wilson Combat just came out with a 18” and 20” non threaded barrel.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/Match-Grade-Barrel-65-Grendel-Hunter-18-1-8-Twist-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR%2D65GHTRG18FC8/
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with a McGowan Custom AR Barrel...They are reasonably priced and have a 10 week turn around time, for
$265 you get a choice of options (4140 CM Steel or 416R Stainless Steel, Length up to 20", Gas Length, Muzzle
Threading and Crowning, and Std. Machine Surface Finish...)

All of their chamberings conform to SAAMI standards like the 6.5 Grendel (Chambered to a .136" Bolt Depth) for example
which is what most people want, but also offer custom chamberings...

Personally I would go with a: 20" SPR Contour 4140 CMV Steel Bbl. with a 1:8 Twist and Rifle Length Gas System
with No Muzzle Threading and Target Crown...But that's just me.

McGowan
View Quote
As PLT mentioned, a Wilson Tactical 6.5 Grendel 20" Bbl. with fluting is quite nice for the price...just keep in mind you
will need a .136" Bolt Assembly/BCG  (aka "Type II" Grendel bolt)...

Wilson Tactical

The 20" Bbl length in this caliber gives you the best of all worlds (IMHO)...like: velocity, good balance, less perceived
recoil, less muzzle blast/report, light weight with the added fluting, and good barrel harmonics...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone. I am looking into some things as I have read conflicting things.  Some say under the safe act once the magazine is pinned the rifle doesn’t fall under the safe act as it is no longer a semi auto rifle that accepts a magazine.  Than others say that even if the magizine is pinned you still have to have a crowned barrel or pinned muzzle brake and pinned stock as this was Law before the safe act.  If I find out that once the magazine is pinned I would go with the normal barrel with a muzzle brake but if not I would be looking at a crowned barrel. I do like the Wilson barrel and since the price is the same I would go with the 20” as it seems best all around.

The next thing is the magizine. Due to it being pinned in place I noticed all the options are metal and while researching I noticed some mentioning about being able to remove the magizine base plate in case a need to clear a failure.  Most magizines I’ve seen are metal. Anyone experience any issues that would be an issue with unable to remove the magizine?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top