Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2018 8:26:54 PM EDT
So after a recent trade deal, I have a brand new 23" Lilja 6.5 Grendel heavy barrel headed my way. This was somewhat of an unexpected deal and now I have a really solid excuse to build another rifle. This will be a long range build for prs type matches 800yds or less, and will get double duty on hogs, deer, and predators. It may sometimes have a night vision scope on it. Will run suppressed in the future but for now just a brake.

Here's where I'm at so far.

--Barrel: 23" Lilja 6.5 Grendel .936 gas block size with headspaced bolt. It is rifle length gas.

Here's what I plan to buy.

--Upper receiver: Vltor Muir

--Gas block: JP adjustable jpgs-8 .936

--Handguard: Nordic components nc-1 xl handguard.

--Raptor CH

--Scope: Vortex gen 1 pst 6-24 mrad, pst gen 2,  or Athlon Ares, or whatever I find a deal on in that price range when the time comes. Will probably run an ADM mount so I can swap the night vision on easily.

I have put together 4 uppers and never really given much thought to carriers and their weight or buffer weight and springs. I'm not made of money so I am not looking to spend JP money on a carrier. I am just wondering if spending more on a certain type of carrier is going to have any effect on performance over a standard mil-spec carrier. I will be reloading everything that gets run through this rifle, and I like to push things a bit as far as velocity and performance go. Not to unsafe levels but definitely to the highest performance level I can get out of it safely.

Also gas tubes, is a standard stainless gas tube going to be fine or should I look at something that is specific for this application?

Am I overthinking this or am I heading in the right direction? This will be my first precision AR build. I'm a bolt gun guy as far as long range goes but I can shoot more hogs faster with an ar than with a bolt action.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read up on match BCG and don't see an advantage. I would just look into s toolcraft personally. As far as gas tube stainless is great and actually designed to be a failure point if the gun runs to hot (which is really hard to do after watching some melt down videos). The do make nitride tubes of you want something a little more durable
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have read up on match BCG and don't see an advantage. I would just look into s toolcraft personally. As far as gas tube stainless is great and actually designed to be a failure point if the gun runs to hot (which is really hard to do after watching some melt down videos). The do make nitride tubes of you want something a little more durable
View Quote
That's all you need to know right there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ill take that and run with it. Thanks. I think also with the adjustable gas block I should be able to tune it to run with most buffer setups. Having said that, is there a weight buffer that would be a better starting point?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Use standard parts, most of the boutique stuff is fluff IMO. Personally I think your barrel is too heavy as is. Having it turned down will make it easier to handle.

I have several match rifles that I had turned diwn to .810" forward of the gas block. I had the barrel turned down to .875" under the handguard. It still is the full 1" +/- diameter 3.5" in front of the barrel nut and for 1" behind the gas block to form a shoulder. It's still heavy as hell, but much better than before.

Mega Arms makes HD side charging handle upper receivers designed for heavy bull barrels. If I were going with an expensive custom upper that's what I use. You probably won't need an adjustable gas system. You may even need to open the port more to get it running reliably.

I own three 6.5 Grendel rifles and have gravitated toward bullets on the lightest end of the spectrum. I find Sierra 107 grain Match King's to be the best grouping bullets so far. Amazing at times. I just purchased some Lapua 100's and Nosler 100's, both match bullets, but haven't tested them yet.

VihtaVuori N530 and IMR-8208-XBR have been great in my rifles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll admit I’m a little worried about this thing being stupid heavy. I think I’m going to run it for a while though. Maybe shoot a match or two and shoot a few hogs and take it on a coyote hunt. If I find it poorly balanced or cumbersome, I’ll probably chop to 20” and like you said turn the diameter down a bit.

I’ve never been one to be concerned with a rifle being a little heavy. My current match rifle is pretty stout. I don’t typically set out on foot all day when hunting and I’m usually in a box stand or hopping out of a vehicle and shooting from the hood.

I was planning on running the Sierra 120 smk but I’ll pick up some of the 107’s too and give them a shot. I have Win748, varget, and xbr 8208 on hand now so I’ll start load development with those.

I have to buy dies too. I like Forster stuff but I may venture to Redding for this set. I’m going to try and find a deal on someone selling dies and lapua brass.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I usually start with an H buffer and go from there.  You want the bolt to lock back with the weakest ammo you will run on the gas setting you choose.  I run h/h2 in most of my guns depending on set up as well as the A5 system with A5H2 buffer
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen the 6.5 bcg's on sale of jobobs recently.  Right to bear, granite ridge, and Armorally would be good places to check for the bcg/smallparts
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So after a recent trade deal, I have a brand new 23" Lilja 6.5 Grendel heavy barrel headed my way. This was somewhat of an unexpected deal and now I have a really solid excuse to build another rifle. This will be a long range build for prs type matches 800yds or less, and will get double duty on hogs, deer, and predators. It may sometimes have a night vision scope on it. Will run suppressed in the future but for now just a brake.

Here's where I'm at so far.

--Barrel: 23" Lilja 6.5 Grendel .936 gas block size with headspaced bolt. It is rifle length gas.

Here's what I plan to buy.

--Upper receiver: Vltor Muir

--Gas block: JP adjustable jpgs-8 .936

--Handguard: Nordic components nc-1 xl handguard.

--Raptor CH

--Scope: Vortex gen 1 pst 6-24 mrad, pst gen 2,  or Athlon Ares, or whatever I find a deal on in that price range when the time comes. Will probably run an ADM mount so I can swap the night vision on easily.

I have put together 4 uppers and never really given much thought to carriers and their weight or buffer weight and springs. I'm not made of money so I am not looking to spend JP money on a carrier. I am just wondering if spending more on a certain type of carrier is going to have any effect on performance over a standard mil-spec carrier. I will be reloading everything that gets run through this rifle, and I like to push things a bit as far as velocity and performance go. Not to unsafe levels but definitely to the highest performance level I can get out of it safely.

Also gas tubes, is a standard stainless gas tube going to be fine or should I look at something that is specific for this application?

Am I overthinking this or am I heading in the right direction? This will be my first precision AR build. I'm a bolt gun guy as far as long range goes but I can shoot more hogs faster with an ar than with a bolt action.
View Quote
You could skip all the individual parts bashing and just order the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit, sell or keep the barrel.

The kit literally comes with everything except the lower, which you can order afterwards.

I also have a Lilja 23" bull, fluted barrel.  They're beautiful.

Still get the JP gas block and the Raptor CH if you want that.

You can use a standard rifle buffer if you go with a rifle RET, or use any of the carbine buffers, 2.9oz through H3 if you want if you stick with the precision-machined and position-marked Carbine RET that comes with the LaRue kit, which also includes the RAT stock with internal cleaning rod sections.

Get a Vortex Viper PST Gen II or better with HD glass and tank-like internals and a 20 MOA US-made mount.

That combo will be hard to beat in terms of price and quality.  You get all billet made under the same roof, as well as the MBT-2S trigger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ll admit I’m a little worried about this thing being stupid heavy. I think I’m going to run it for a while though. Maybe shoot a match or two and shoot a few hogs and take it on a coyote hunt. If I find it poorly balanced or cumbersome, I’ll probably chop to 20” and like you said turn the diameter down a bit.

I’ve never been one to be concerned with a rifle being a little heavy. My current match rifle is pretty stout. I don’t typically set out on foot all day when hunting and I’m usually in a box stand or hopping out of a vehicle and shooting from the hood.

I was planning on running the Sierra 120 smk but I’ll pick up some of the 107’s too and give them a shot. I have Win748, varget, and xbr 8208 on hand now so I’ll start load development with those.

I have to buy dies too. I like Forster stuff but I may venture to Redding for this set. I’m going to try and find a deal on someone selling dies and lapua brass.
View Quote
When you get around loading for the 6.5 Grendel you’ll find Varget is to slow to get optimum velocity.  The powder is to bulky to get enough in the 6.5 Grendel case.   The Advantage of Varget is it is temperature stable and AR Comp is getting popular for this reason.   I have used CFE223 as it gives good velocity but is not as temperature stable as IMR8208XBR or AR Comp.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
This is all really great info, thanks everyone. I’ll be sure to get some pics posted up when I get this thing put together.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top