Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2018 5:27:19 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm looking at building my first AR from the ground up and decided on the 6.5 Grendel I'd like to do a DMR-style build and want to get as much accuracy out of this gun as I can. I do reload so I will work up a load once the gun is assembled. Budget is in the $1-1.5k range, not including glass.

Barrels - What makes a "good" or "great" barrel? What blank manufacturers are good and which should be avoided? What linings are best for accuracy (not going to be doing mag dumps with this gun)? What method for rifling the barrel is "best?" I've looked at Faxon (Match Series- 20" Heavy Fluted, 6.5 Grendel, 5R, 416R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension), Seekins, Satern, Odin Works (6.5 Grendel Barrel 20" Rifle with BCG), Ballistic Advantage (20" 6.5 Grendel DMR Fluted Stainless Steel Rifle Length AR 15 Barrel, Premium Series).

BCG - a couple of those manufacturers sell their barrels with a BCG and will headspace it. What's going to make a BCG higher quality and how much will it affect accuracy? Is it worth dumping more money on a BCG?

Handguard - Personally I like the looks of quad rails but most everyone seems to be switching to M-Lok or Keymod. Is lurking on the EE the best place to find a good free-float quad rail? Any other recommendations?

Stock - I like the looks of the Magpul PRS stock but that's a bit heavy and there seem to be other good options for a lower price point. Anyone have recommendations and personal experience with adjustable stocks for a build like this?

Trigger - I'm pretty well set on the LaRue MBT. Any others I should consider in this price point or that are worth spending more on? Thinking I'd like to stick with a two-stage for this build.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of those barrels, I'd say Satern first, then BA, and OW third.

If they come with a headspaced bolt, use that, and then get a carrier. Which carrier you want will depend on a few things, notably recoil vs. reliability. What features are worth dumping money into is also dependent on your uses and requirements for this gun. If you want to drop recoil as much as possible, then get an adjustable gas block, lightweight carrier, and lightweight buffer on a reduced power spring. If you want to have it be perfectly reliable, then get a full mass BCG with a Springco blue spring and run the gas a couple clicks open from functioning. If you want it to be a very pleasant shooter, run the Armaspec or JP captured spring systems.

Lurking on the EE is definitely the best place. I will say, if you want a quad rail, go for it. I love my M4gery, even though I know that freefloat modular with a midlength gas system is "better." There's usually a KAC, LaRue (boom, found one. IMO, these are the sexiest), or DD on there for a good price. It's your gun, have fun with it. Quad vs Keymod/Mlok isn't near as big a concern if you're going to be running a bench gun as it is if you're out running about with it. The only downside to quad rails vs modular then is that it won't ride bags as well, but if you get a bipod, then even this is a moot point. Geissele, however, is probably going to be your best option. They're exceptionally rigid, which is something you want in a precision free float handguard.

I would recommend running a Vltor MUR upper. In a precision oriented build, you're going to want a rigid upper setup, and this is one of the best options out there. Had some discussion on uppers with Weapon Genetics (great dude and smith, part of this site), and it's his go-to. After seeing him shoot at 2 Cola Warriors and watching his rifle stage times, I'm certainly not going to question that. After doing my own research as well, I have one on the way for a precision upper I'm putting together right now. It will likely be my constant go to in the future unless I'm going lightweight (bootleg) or budget (whatever milspec is on sale)

Luth would be a good option, but personally I'd go grab the Tacmod on the EE right now. That's a pretty dang good deal, and I'm tempted to grab it myself, but I need to get a barrel first. So grab it before I change my mind. Please. My wallet has gotten bent over enough this month by the EE deals.

The MBT is good, but the SSA-E is better. Here's another. Again, depends on what exactly you want - Geissele makes the best triggers out there, but the MBT is very good for the cost. If you're making this more a target rig than combat, then there are some more light and touchy triggers for bench use.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Larue Ultimate Upper and done.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Came here to post this
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Came here to post this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Came here to post this
I would have to agree!
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a larue rail on sale to go with my barrel. It's really nice, but it's really heavy too.

The lite rail was easier to install, its lighter, and has the continuous upper rail.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would have to agree!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Came here to post this
I would have to agree!
Yeah but that's boring.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah but that's boring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Came here to post this
I would have to agree!
Yeah but that's boring.
I do like the idea of the LaRue Ultimate upper (thanks to everyone who suggested that) but I also like the idea of piecing it all together myself. Would allow for a bit more customization. For example, I was hoping to get a 20" bbl and a quad rail.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I do like the idea of the LaRue Ultimate upper (thanks to everyone who suggested that) but I also like the idea of piecing it all together myself. Would allow for a bit more customization. For example, I was hoping to get a 20" bbl and a quad rail.
View Quote
Go ahead and go through my post above, put together a parts list to the best of your idea and research, thrown it up in a Google doc, and then take it to the Precision Rifles forum for fine-tuning, they'll be able to get you more squared away than I can.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Another question I've got for you guys - what length barrel and twist rate would you recommend? I do plan on both hunting (deer, maybe hogs and elk) and bench rest shooting (casually, not competitively at this point) with this rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 18” BA and I am very happy with it. I got to shoot out to 1000 yds a few weeks ago and was very happy with the results. Less than 300yds isn’t even fun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#11]
" />

Here is a home build I haven't shot yet.

-19" Lilja 1-8" RH twist
-Lilja recommended Bolt by Maxim Firearms
-BCG from primary
-Spikes upper
-Giessele MK7 from EE
-Spikes Lower
-Giessele SDSA-E
-Magpul PRS/w Atlas Mono
-Vortex Viper HST
Just need a mount
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#12]
18 inch faxon barrel with their headspace bolt.  Any quality carrier is fine.  Geiselle rail.  I'm partial to the mk13.  Standard upper and lowers are good to go.  Lots of good stocks to choose from so that's pretty much personal preference.  Same with triggers, but I consider the mbt you mentioned to be the best value in that segment by far.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
My Grendel has a 20" Satern barrel that has worked great. On two others (large frame AR's) I've used Rainier Ultramatch and Wilson Combat super sniper profiles. They have been great to and I wouldn't hesitate to use one on my Grendel when needed. I'm currently using an Vltor low profile gas block. It's non adjustable,  but never had a need to adjust it. It'll be changed to an SLR adjustable pretty soon,  but that's only because I'm waiting to get a supressor out of jail

BCG, I use an AA bolt. It is in an AXTS nitride carrier. Originally I used my SE parked carrier.  Both work and worked fine. The 18" that I had, i used a NiB carrier in that.  NiB and nitride do make cleaning a little easier.

Mine is primarily Seekins billet, upper lower and rail.  I had an 18" Gredel that used forged upper and lower from Mega. Nice rifle. Not overly heavy and maneuverable. That used a Troy rail that worked well. Hunting around on the EE is a good way to find what you want if you have time. SLR rails have worked well for me as well. The Intrepid in my Creedmoor may interest you.  Rails top and bottom with MLOK on the sides.

Stocks are preference. On my Grendel I have used ACS, ACS-L, STR, UBR and PRS stocks. All worked well. The UBR and PRS were heavier,  but nothing that concerned me much.  All my rigs currently run XLR stocks and use silent captured springs. XLR is around the weight of the PRS, but has more adjustability and range of adjustability than the PRS. The SCS is worth it to me,  quiet and configurable.

Triggers are preference too. I agree with the Geisselle recommendation as they are nice triggers. I had an SSA-E and SD-E. I'm currently using a Triggertech that I really like in my Grendel, but have used an AR-Gold, Elftmann match,  Armalite match , RRA, KAC match, CMC 2&2 and MBT in it (as well as my other rigs). The AR-Gold and Elftmann are still in my other rigs and are great. Didn't care for the MBT in any of them even though I tried all 4 I had. I stuck with single stage drop in triggers in my carbines,  so all  the other two stage triggers were sold off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]
PRS stocks help to balance out heavy barrels.  A balanced rifle will handle better than a lighter, front heavy rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top