BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2020 11:42:15 AM EDT
So my friend bought this jig. It cut a gaping trigger slot.

I dont think he used it wrong: the mill is the same size as follower dowels on router jig, and the slot on the jig us oversized compares to regular trigger slot.

5d emailed me a reply along the lines that its oversize so all triggers fit. Sounds like total nonsense.

I considered making an oversized pair of dowel, but the slot is oversized by different amount width vs lengthwise, so the plan is to mill a pair of inserts for the jig with correct slot dimensions.

I don’t remember how big the slot came out but it was ridiculous looking.

Can anybody share your experience and if and how you corrected the issue?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So my friend bought this jig. It cut a gaping trigger slot.

I dont think he used it wrong: the mill is the same size as follower dowels on router jig, and the slot on the jig us oversized compares to regular trigger slot.

5d emailed me a reply along the lines that its oversize so all triggers fit. Sounds like total nonsense.

I considered making an oversized pair of dowel, but the slot is oversized by different amount width vs lengthwise, so the plan is to mill a pair of inserts for the jig with correct slot dimensions.

I don’t remember how big the slot came out but it was ridiculous looking.

Can anybody share your experience and if and how you corrected the issue?
View Quote

Pix would help
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the 5D jig on Haloween and this is my first lower I did with it.  Using 5D's jig, their endmill, and their drill bits.
This is a Larue trigger.  The hole seems like its the right size to me.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
No the slot is damn near the same size as jig guide.

I dont have pics sorry.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the 5D jig on Haloween and this is my first lower I did with it.  Using 5D's jig, their endmill, and their drill bits.
This is a Larue trigger.  The hole seems like its the right size to me.

https://iili.io/FPIdYJ.md.png
https://iili.io/FPIJ2a.md.png
View Quote

Oh yeah, that looks perfect!
Maybe your jig has diff dimensions. How wide is the slot on the jig?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The 5d tactical jig comes with 3 different length guide pins.   The short pins help you mill out everything down to the depth of the rear shelf.  The medium pins are used to hog out all the rest of the material.  And the last set, the long pins, are used to cut the trigger slot.

If you screw up and forget to swap in the longest guide pins when you do your final run that cuts the trigger slot, then you will end up with a huge square hole instead of a little slot.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you look at the max diameter on the Gov. print and compare it to the drill bit dimension from the original hole what do you notice?
I have always figured there are trade offs to using any style jig to get the best finish product you could using common tools.
View Quote

Oh yeah it looks beautiful but i can do the slot on a sloppy bridgeport or jury rig the jig

Point is, they overeized the jig. Slop alone wouldnt make it big enuf to be an issue
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I measured my jig.  The #3 slots in the jig are right around 0.355".  The #3 guide pins are about 0.315".  On my jig, the thing is going to cut a slot 0.040" wider than whatever end mill is in it.

Assuming you use a 5/16" endmill, that is 0.3125.  Add the 0.040 that the jig produces, and your slot would be 0.3525".  Easiest way to tighten that up would be to wrap some tape around the #3 guide pins.  Get them so big that they slide in the #3 jig slots with no side to side play.  You're talking 3 minutes worth of work and no machining necessary.  Or if you have a lathe or 3D printer, make you up some replacement #3 pins that are the correct length, but like 35 thou wider diameter.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Point is, they overeized the jig. Slop alone wouldnt make it big enuf to be an issue
View Quote

Occams Razor says it is more likely he did not use the correct pins vs they made an oversized jig.

eta

Re-Reading your posts, it seems it he did not swap to the next set of pins for section 3, which resulted in a deeper cut to section 2. If his jig is missing section 3 (meaning section2 is clear through) then yeah, it is oversized, and he should have seen that error immediately. Pretty easy to tell what went wrong.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
just more of 5d pissing in there cheereo,s
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I measured my jig.  The #3 slots in the jig are right around 0.355".  The #3 guide pins are about 0.315".  On my jig, the thing is going to cut a slot 0.040" wider than whatever end mill is in it.

Assuming you use a 5/16" endmill, that is 0.3125.  Add the 0.040 that the jig produces, and your slot would be 0.3525".  Easiest way to tighten that up would be to wrap some tape around the #3 guide pins.  Get them so big that they slide in the #3 jig slots with no side to side play.  You're talking 3 minutes worth of work and no machining necessary.  Or if you have a lathe or 3D printer, make you up some replacement #3 pins that are the correct length, but like 35 thou wider diameter.
View Quote

Yeah well its overized length wise more than that, otherwise id make new dowels that are .355” or whatever. So i figured id make spacers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Occams Razor says it is more likely he did not use the correct pins vs they made an oversized jig.

eta

Re-Reading your posts, it seems it he did not swap to the next set of pins for section 3, which resulted in a deeper cut to section 2. If his jig is missing section 3 (meaning section2 is clear through) then yeah, it is oversized, and he should have seen that error immediately. Pretty easy to tell what went wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta

No he did not make the trigger slot the size of the trigger cavity lol.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your words above:

"No the slot is damn near the same size as jig guide"

Either way it is easy to see what went wrong. If his jig does not look like every other one posted on the internet, it is the jig, else it is human error.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your words above:

Either way it is easy to see what went wrong. If his jig does not look like every other one posted on the internet, it is the jig, else it is human error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your words above:

Yes i get it. Its the jig. As the other dude said, his jig is .040” over also.  The nice photo of raw lower with trigger - i bet that jig was cut right. Ours is newer, from this year. Maybe they banged out some with big slot, i dunno. Seems completely unaccetable to me. I can grab trigger shoe and slide trigger waaay left and right. Im not gonna cut my own one as it is, i can tell you that right now. They replied once that it was on purpose to accomodate diff lowers which is so effin crazy ur cutting whole cavity at once. Sounds like a ba excuse from someone that dowsnt understand wtf is happening. And then they went silent.
Or maybe the nice photo is oversize also, idk. But it looks right. My friend’s lower does NOT look ok
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes i get it. Its the jig. As the other dude said, his jig is .040” over also.  The nice photo of raw lower with trigger - i bet that jig was cut right. Ours is newer, from this year.
View Quote

My photo above and those measurements of it cutting 0.040" over width of the endmill are all from my jig that was from 1 month ago.  Its their new style one with the extruded aluminum side pieces and the router block thats polymer instead of metal.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Rather than pissing back and fourth, maybe OP could post a picture of the jig with a ruler next to the third slot for comparison?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]

OP needs to post pics.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OP needs to post pics.
View Quote

The jig is in another county.
Another user already confirmed dimensions so idk what y’all wanna see. The lower is long gone.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought this was common knowledge?  Many of us have been complaining about the trigger hole issue for years.  It’s not anything wrong with his Jig, it’s the design of the big itself.  

That said I looked at their photos online and seen they updated it recently the newer Jig looks like they have skeletonized the side plates to reduce weight and mentioned the top plate is now made of polymer.   I figure it’s a way to make it cheaper and faster with all the recent demand.

When looking at the photos I thought the trigger holes looked a tad smaller but couldn’t tell from the photos.  Now looking at the lower above that was milled out on the newer jig it appears they did finally listen to all the complaints and made the trigger cavity smaller.  Perhaps a new top plate is worth it for $65 or so.  

What I have seen done in the past was drill the initial pilot hole which is the perfect width to start with for AR trigger holes and then instead of using the router to finish the trigger hole use a dremel and small files to lengthen it out.  This takes a lot longer then it should just to have a lower that doesn’t look like Donkey Kong was boning the trigger hole.  

I thought about making inserts for the top plate but I had no mill to do so.  I always wondered why someone with a mill or 3D printer doesn’t make inserts and sell them?  Polymer inserts should work fine and could be 3D printed very easily.  But something else I thought of was just having someone make a whole new top plate for the market with smaller trigger hole and maybe even different internal dimensions too.  Maybe copy the M16 design instead of AR15 which would cut more material out of the rear and lighten the lowers a little more.  

If anyone wants to make inserts or a new top plate shoot me an email.  I’d be happy to buy them.  The first lower I did I scrapped because I couldn’t stand the trigger hole.  It just looks stupid to me.  I ended up selling the jig to a friend since it wasn’t worth the trouble over just buying 100% lowers.  But if I could get some inserts made I’d probably get it back from him.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought this was common knowledge?  Many of us have been complaining about the trigger hole issue for years.  It’s not anything wrong with his Jig, it’s the design of the big itself.  

That said I looked at their photos online and seen they updated it recently the newer Jig looks like they have skeletonized the side plates to reduce weight and mentioned the top plate is now made of polymer.   I figure it’s a way to make it cheaper and faster with all the recent demand.

When looking at the photos I thought the trigger holes looked a tad smaller but couldn’t tell from the photos.  Now looking at the lower above that was milled out on the newer jig it appears they did finally listen to all the complaints and made the trigger cavity smaller.  Perhaps a new top plate is worth it for $65 or so.  

What I have seen done in the past was drill the initial pilot hole which is the perfect width to start with for AR trigger holes and then instead of using the router to finish the trigger hole use a dremel and small files to lengthen it out.  This takes a lot longer then it should just to have a lower that doesn’t look like Donkey Kong was boning the trigger hole.  

I thought about making inserts for the top plate but I had no mill to do so.  I always wondered why someone with a mill or 3D printer doesn’t make inserts and sell them?  Polymer inserts should work fine and could be 3D printed very easily.  But something else I thought of was just having someone make a whole new top plate for the market with smaller trigger hole and maybe even different internal dimensions too.  Maybe copy the M16 design instead of AR15 which would cut more material out of the rear and lighten the lowers a little more.  

If anyone wants to make inserts or a new top plate shoot me an email.  I’d be happy to buy them.  The first lower I did I scrapped because I couldn’t stand the trigger hole.  It just looks stupid to me.  I ended up selling the jig to a friend since it wasn’t worth the trouble over just buying 100% lowers.  But if I could get some inserts made I’d probably get it back from him.
View Quote

Im with you 1000000000%
I want 16 profile, at least 6 companies make semi auto 16 cut lower. They absolutely feel lighter in thr hand, probably a cubic inch less aluminum. And they look badass.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My photo above and those measurements of it cutting 0.040" over width of the endmill are all from my jig that was from 1 month ago.  Its their new style one with the extruded aluminum side pieces and the router block thats polymer instead of metal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes i get it. Its the jig. As the other dude said, his jig is .040” over also.  The nice photo of raw lower with trigger - i bet that jig was cut right. Ours is newer, from this year.

I cannot find photos of that plate
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The top plate of the jig is still aluminum. The router plate is plastic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OIC. The photos with the hollowed out side plates. I think we are going to buy another top plate and mill it out for a different profile. Really they should just give us a free one paid enough for the fucking gig and the results look stupid
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have drill guides do this?  Obviously they are not hardened like they claim.

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Whoever did that probably shouldn't be around tools.  Those steel inserts are guides, they're not idiot proof.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That drill bit was OBVIOUSLY way off center! Many early jigs didn’t have bushings at all, just holes in the aluminum.

McMaster Carr offers replacement drill bushings, BUT, no bushing is going to stand up to a drill bit THAT off center!  LINK
View Quote

Those bushings look like someone used a drill press but didn't square the table. Notice how the egg shape seems to be towards the same side on all 3 holes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone have drill guides do this?  Obviously they are not hardened like they claim.

[url]https://i.pixxxels.cc/MK7sfThJ/20201128-142008.jpg[url]

[url]https://i.pixxxels.cc/nhn34xJj/20201128-142019.jpg[url]

[url]https://i.pixxxels.cc/Bv6NzCtJ/20201128-142234.jpg[url]
View Quote

When did you get your jig?

I received mine two weeks ago, went to try it out tonight and had a similar issue.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:16:26 AM EDT
[#31]
JUST MORE 5d crap quality products. there on the way out as everybody is seeing them for what they really are. the door is wide open for a quality mfg company. when this happens 5d and there 2 sister companys will cease to exist............... good ridins to them..............
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
JUST MORE 5d crap quality products. there on the way out as everybody is seeing them for what they really are. the door is wide open for a quality mfg company. when this happens 5d and there 2 sister companys will cease to exist............... good ridins to them..............
View Quote

So being new to 80% lowers who makes the best billet pieces?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not sure how that happens during normal use. I have done 2 lowers with mine and about to order 5 more lowers. Mine still looks new. No scars just light rubbing from an unsteady hand drill. I have the new style. The trigger hole on the first was a little funky but that was because of me. I turned the router on before I had the bit centered. The 2nd came out fine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I received mine two weeks ago, went to try it out tonight and had a similar issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]https://i.pixxxels.cc/MK7sfThJ/20201128-142008.jpg[url]

[url]https://i.pixxxels.cc/nhn34xJj/20201128-142019.jpg[url]

[url]https://i.pixxxels.cc/Bv6NzCtJ/20201128-142234.jpg[url]

Same issue with mine.  Machined a lower and put it together, the safety selector is crooked.  Looks like the hole is drilled too far back.  Bushings are oval.  This is the first time I used it and I used the bits included.  Received it about a month ago.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Im with you 1000000000%
I want 16 profile, at least 6 companies make semi auto 16 cut lower. They absolutely feel lighter in thr hand, probably a cubic inch less aluminum. And they look badass.
View Quote

Just now getting back to this thread but If you have a new top plate made please let me know I’d happily buy one as well to perhaps reduce the cost of having one made.  I bet a lot of people here would buy them if someone machines some up.  M16 profile and smaller trigger hole in both width and length.  I don’t even need the indentions for depth cut.  

A aluminum top plate should be very easy to make for someone with a mill.  I may try to see if I can find someone to do it.  And idk why more people don’t offer M16 profile either since plenty of receivers come that way and are noticeably lighter and more authentic for clone builds.  I see no down side.  

And to the posters below with guide bushing issues I have no idea how it could be that messed up unless you were really trying to egg the hole out by putting sideways pressure on them.  But if more then one person has had this issue recently there may be something to it.  Sounds like they really cheaped out on everything here lately.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Same issue with mine.  Machined a lower and put it together, the safety selector is crooked.  Looks like the hole is drilled too far back.  Bushings are oval.  This is the first time I used it and I used the bits included.  Received it about a month ago.  
https://i.imgur.com/aiNH77n.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ddkYncW.jpg?1
View Quote

A little off topic but what lower parts kit are you using here if you remember?  It looks like the mag catch is parkerized and I have been looking for some parked mag catches for awhile now.  Almost all of them I find are shiny black or deep black anymore which I don’t like for clones.  It’s hard to find parkerized takedown pins too.

I wish places listed what the coating was so you wouldn’t have to order just one to see before ordering a larger quantity. I prefer parkerized small parts on all builds the grey just looks much nicer to me to offset the black receiver even on modern builds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A little off topic but what lower parts kit are you using here if you remember?  It looks like the mag catch is parkerized and I have been looking for some parked mag catches for awhile now.  Almost all of them I find are shiny black or deep black anymore which I don’t like for clones.  It’s hard to find parkerized takedown pins too.

I wish places listed what the coating was so you wouldn’t have to order just one to see before ordering a larger quantity. I prefer parkerized small parts on all builds the grey just looks much nicer to me to offset the black receiver even on modern builds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/aiNH77n.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ddkYncW.jpg?1

https://aimsurplus.com/unbrandedar-elg-ar-lower-receiver-parts-kit-lpk/

I picked up a few when they were on sale for $39.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, looks like a decent parts kit for the money I checked them out on their factory site and they had them for a little cheaper but I have picked up lots of small parts over the years in lots so don’t really need whole lower parts kits sadly.  

I mostly just need takedown pins and mag catches.  On their site the parts kits say everything is parkerized but their individual parts say black oxide so I emailed them and will see.  If you happen to see this reply and have the time - was the trigger fairly decent in it?  I usually stick with Schmidt Tool parts that are stamped S since they are almost never gritty and are all fairly nice.  Most of the big names use their parts and it’s a shame they don’t sell directly.  But those parts kits look pretty nice for the money if the trigger isn’t gritty.  It looks like they don’t use any MIM crap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I always wondered why someone with a mill or 3D printer doesn’t make inserts and sell them?  Polymer inserts should work fine and could be 3D printed very easily.  But something else I thought of was just having someone make a whole new top plate for the market with smaller trigger hole and maybe even different internal dimensions too.  
View Quote

Printed inserts work great and the files are freely available online. I'm guessing nobody sells them because they cost pennies to make.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And to the posters below with guide bushing issues I have no idea how it could be that messed up unless you were really trying to egg the hole out by putting sideways pressure on them. ...
View Quote

I'm thinking hand drill vs drill press.  also, the right-side safety selector hole should probably be drilled before milling.  If drilled after milling, the stepped internal wall thickness will force the drill bit to side-load the insert, regardless.  This was discussed in another thread, this sub-forum.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Those bushings look like someone used a drill press but didn't square the table. Notice how the egg shape seems to be towards the same side on all 3 holes.
View Quote

I ran into a problem that caused something similar.  When drilling the initial hole that goes all the way through the lower I think I wasn't perfectly aligned and when I made the final pass using the router the trigger hole looks like it has a slight bump out.  Doesn't bother me since everything functions as it should, but I know it would cause diarrhea for many who are more demanding.  The jig flexes a bit too when turned on it's side to drill the safety and trigger holes which could misalign the holes slightly.  I counter it with my finger under the jig as I drill, but it's something I noticed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
5D BITS ARE CHINA SHITZ
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes i get it. Its the jig. As the other dude said, his jig is .040” over also.  The nice photo of raw lower with trigger - i bet that jig was cut right. Ours is newer, from this year. Maybe they banged out some with big slot, i dunno. Seems completely unaccetable to me. I can grab trigger shoe and slide trigger waaay left and right. Im not gonna cut my own one as it is, i can tell you that right now. They replied once that it was on purpose to accomodate diff lowers which is so effin crazy ur cutting whole cavity at once. Sounds like a ba excuse from someone that dowsnt understand wtf is happening. And then they went silent.
Or maybe the nice photo is oversize also, idk. But it looks right. My friend’s lower does NOT look ok
View Quote

I have the newer 5D jig and just finished completing a 80 lower and happen to have a new Larue trigger to install...pics to follow tomorrow or Saturday when I have some time.
I'll be interested to see if it looks over-sized.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Whoever did that probably shouldn't be around tools.  Those steel inserts are guides, they're not idiot proof.
View Quote

Agreed !!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

WELL KNOWN fact, good drill bits are pricey.

The trigger hole SHOULD be 21/64” (the diameter of the guide hole you initially drill)
View Quote

If memory serves, my old Modulus HD jig the diameter of the guide hole drilled for the trigger slot is 19/64", which leaves just a tiny bit more leeway.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Different because of the size mill bit? Was it one of the jigs that used a 1/4" end mill instead of a 5/16"?
View Quote

Yes, it uses a standard 1/4" end mill bit.  No collet adapter or special router base plate.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top