Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 8:14:15 PM EDT
Here's the story, people:

I bought a collet and endmill that fits the Dewalt 611 router from 5D last year. I am thinking of purchasing the Easy Gen III because it is the color green to match some of the t-shirts I wear.

I called 80% today to ask, actually today is the first time I've gotten a human being, about any fitment issues between jigs, and the answer no one was certain if there were the same collets for the 611 or not.

So, I turn to you, my Brothers, for your wisdom and collective knowledge:
are they different collets for what looks like to be the same exact product except one matches the color of my t-shirts? I am thinking "nope," but I don't have any experience with either products as well.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here's the story, people:

I bought a collet and endmill that fits the Dewalt 611 router from 5D last year. I am thinking of purchasing the Easy Gen III because it is the color green to match some of the t-shirts I wear.

I called 80% today to ask, actually today is the first time I've gotten a human being, about any fitment issues between jigs, and the answer no one was certain if there were the same collets for the 611 or not.

So, I turn to you, my Brothers, for your wisdom and collective knowledge:
are they different collets for what looks like to be the same exact product except one matches the color of my t-shirts? I am thinking "nope," but I don't have any experience with either products as well.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

The consensus in this group seems to be that 5D Pro, 80% Arms EZ Jig Gen 3 and Modulus Extreme are all basically the same product only varying in color and the markings.  From what I understand (and I don't have any of them, I still use an old Modulus HD), you can mix and match collets, base plates, etc. between them.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The consensus in this group seems to be that 5D Pro, 80% Arms EZ Jig Gen 3 and Modulus Extreme are all basically the same product only varying in color and the markings.  From what I understand (and I don't have any of them, I still use an old Modulus HD), you can mix and match collets, base plates, etc. between them.

View Quote

Thank you kindly, Mr. SoftwareJanitor!

I appreciate your time!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#3]
A little info.....
talks about the 3 jig makers
https://youtu.be/ERQyJ4VFaDQ

80% Arms vs. Modulus Arms vs. 5D Tactical - 80% Jig Comparison

https://youtu.be/_vNIThhpGI4

-Garland
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little info.....
talks about the 3 jig makers
https://youtu.be/ERQyJ4VFaDQ

80% Arms vs. Modulus Arms vs. 5D Tactical - 80% Jig Comparison

https://youtu.be/_vNIThhpGI4

-Garland
View Quote

Thank you, Garland! The vids answered many questions, and also created a couple more , and in the interest in full disclosure, i fell asleep a couple of times. The bottom video is 1 hour and 20 minutes.

First, it looks like they all use the same collet and end mill. The biggest thing that tripped my trigger was not just the difference in the router plates (plastic for 5D; aluminum for 80%.) It was the difference in the top plates. 5D's top plate is closer to the original M16 opening while the 80% Arms has one of the restrictions that Colt introduced, specifically the narrowing of the slot where the auto sear would go. I think that should be milled out, so there's less tricky hand movements. Less hand movements should help with not putting more pressure on one side of the router plate than the other while negotiating theses curves.

Vincent Smith, our genial host, also put the proper sized drill bits through their specific holes (safety, trigger etc.) and there's a lot of wobble there. I think it was to use self centering drill bits (or counter sink bits) first then change to the normal drill bits even if using a drill press and vice.

I'm going to make the videos hot:

Thanks again, Garland!!

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
THIS IS THE BEST JIG REVIEWS GOING............... personally i believe there all 3 made in china, assembled as kits and boxed up and shipped in the U.S.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top