Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2021 6:36:05 AM EDT
The trigger and hammer bushings are worn and wondering if anyone have found any replacement?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:12:03 AM EDT
I am just checking into this also. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty, so I have emailed them. I will report back when/if they reply back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:03:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:16:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cotntop:
The trigger and hammer bushings are worn and wondering if anyone have found any replacement?
View Quote

This appears to be a common problem.  Apparently 5D shipped a lot of jigs with super soft bushings.  Like soft as Babbit lead, not hardened steel like they are supposed to be.  Lots of reports of significant failure even on the first lower milled.  I've seen jigs without bushings, just aluminum that have been used for dozens of lowers w/o significant wear, so that's a serious problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:42:36 PM EDT
I drove my bushings out and they were very soft.  Gonna try and order some from McMaster.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:56:15 AM EDT
How do you plan to press new ones in... using the corner of bench vise jaws?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:56:40 AM EDT
Got a small hydraulic press, gonna try that first.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:29:02 PM EDT
That should work a lot better than a vise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:08:15 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Got a small hydraulic press, gonna try that first.
View Quote

Freeze the bushing and heat the aluminum jig to about 250* in a oven.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:45:55 PM EDT
I have replaced the large bushing in mine.

I ordered the 3/8 x 1/2 bushing.  

After pressing out the old bushing I found out the outer size was less than 1/2" in the fixture so I had to drill the holes to 1/2" so the bushings would fit.

All is well, I now use a drill press to drill the holes and the bushing have been holding up fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:02:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By woodbutcherer:
I am just checking into this also. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty, so I have emailed them. I will report back when/if they reply back.
View Quote

When did you purchase your 5D jig?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:26:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15inmn:
I have replaced the large bushing in mine.

I ordered the 3/8 x 1/2 bushing.  

After pressing out the old bushing I found out the outer size was less than 1/2" in the fixture so I had to drill the holes to 1/2" so the bushings would fit.

All is well, I now use a drill press to drill the holes and the bushing have been holding up fine.
View Quote

That's the main reason I used the press from my 1st build on, I want to remove as little material as possible from that bushing & keep it straight as I can too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:23:56 AM EDT
Called 5D today and they are selling the side replacements for the old style jigs.  Still gonna try and order some replacement bushings.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:45:17 PM EDT
How many lowers are you guys doing before the bushings fail? Mine has maybe two dozen done on it and no issues yet, so I'm curious.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:44:43 PM EDT
My jig worked good on my lowers.  A friend did his and was heavy handed and ruined mine.  The directions plainly state not to be drilling while entering holes.  Will drill holes with drill press or turn vice sideways to help prevent this.  Did not ask about warranty because I didn't think it was the device.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:16:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2021 5:26:07 PM EDT by SoftwareJanitor]
My jig worked good on my lowers.  A friend did his and was heavy handed and ruined mine.  The directions plainly state not to be drilling while entering holes.  Will drill holes with drill press or turn vice sideways to help prevent this.  Did not ask about warranty because I didn't think it was the device.
View Quote

From what I've seen, even if someone is doing the drilling incorrectly, it is unlikely that the bushings would show the amount of wear/damage people are seeing if they were properly hardened.  I've seen cheap jigs with no inserts at all hold up better than people have been seeing with some 5D jigs.  I suspect that the bushings probably come from China (like just about everything else these days) and that 5D may have bought from a bad supplier or gotten a bad batch that were not hardened at all.  Too see totally egged out bushings on a single use, the bushings would have to be as soft as a Babbitt bearing.

Edit to add...  I probably dated myself.  Most younger people probably have no idea what Babbitt metal is...  It is usually a Lead-Tin alloy used in bearings on old (like Model T era) engines.  It is extremely soft, even softer than most Aluminum alloys.  It is used in bearings because it is resistant to galling and relatively tolerant of friction in underlubed circumstances.

It is possible that 5D was sold bearings as hardened bushings instead of what they were supposed to get.  You've got to watch Chinese companies about things like this -- some of them will slip in cheaper or defective product if you don't monitor quality stringently.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 6:29:35 PM EDT
5D are sending me the top plate and both side plates in the new version at a discount.  At first I thought they were sending the old side plates but they are not available.
Top Top