Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2021 3:21:25 PM EDT
Anyone seen gel tests of the stuff? Seems a bit on the pricey side. Devastating? Anemic? What barrel lengths for terminal performance, distances?

ETA: For shits and giggles, bought 200 rounds of 62gr Chaos. Hoping there’s someone with personal experience with it on the board who could shed a little light about the rounds.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I did find this...

Gimmick Or Good To Go? .223 Rem Gorilla 62gr Controlled Chaos Gel Test

Loaded by another maker but I’m thinking results would be very comparable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
did you buy the Lehigh, underwood, or black hills load? The Lehigh should the same as the gorilla load, and underwood and BH slightly hotter, but not much. Should all be similar performance. Seems to be ideal in sbrs because the higher Velocity may cause over penetration
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Performance similar to MK318.

I love the 115Gr 300blk version.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
did you buy the Lehigh, underwood, or black hills load? The Lehigh should the same as the gorilla load, and underwood and BH slightly hotter, but not much. Should all be similar performance. Seems to be ideal in sbrs because the higher Velocity may cause over penetration
View Quote

Grind Hard loaded
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I am still using the 1st Gen Lehigh 62GR. CCCu bullets I bought several years ago. No factory load of the 62GR. CCCu bullet existed at that time so I loaded them up to 5.56MM NATO pressure over TAC in new #41 primed LC brass. The CCCu bullet is accurate and very lethal. It over expands then fragments very early in the wound channel. The petals will shear off the core causing different wound tracks in flesh and bone targets. But the copper core will continue to penetrate VERY deeply. I should have picked up a case or 2 of the relatively new BHA 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu Dual Performance ammo while it was still available this time last year. The BHA 5.56MM DP load uses the 2nd Gen CCCu bullet which should be even more lethal. "You snooze, you loose!" Now I have to wait until this severe ammo crunch ends to continue testing with updated bullet/ammunition types. .02

This is a head shot on a whitetail @ 100yds. with the 1st Gen CCCu 62GR. bullet fired from a 10.5" Noveske N4 Switchblock barrel with M4 can attached. Note the multiple exit holes in the head. MV was 2721 FPS @ 50F.

Attachment Attached File

Water shot over expansion/fragmentation of the 62GR. CCCu bullet from a 10.5" Noveske N4 Switchblock barrel w M4 can attached @1880 FPS:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am still using the 1st Gen Lehigh 62GR. CCCu bullets I bought several years ago. No factory load of the 62GR. CCCu bullet existed at that time so I loaded them up to 5.56MM NATO pressure over TAC in new #41 primed LC brass. The CCCu bullet is accurate and very lethal. It over expands then fragments very early in the wound channel. The petals will shear off the core causing different wound tracks in flesh and bone targets. But the copper core will continue to penetrate VERY deeply. I should have picked up a case or 2 of the relatively new BHA 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu Dual Performance ammo while it was still available this time last year. The BHA 5.56MM DP load uses the 2nd Gen CCCu bullet which should be even more lethal. "You snooze, you loose!" Now I have to wait until this severe ammo crunch ends to continue testing with updated bullet/ammunition types. .02

This is a head shot on a whitetail @ 100yds. with the 1st Gen CCCu 62GR. bullet fired from a 10.5" Noveske N4 Switchblock barrel with M4 can attached. Note the multiple exit holes in the head. MV was 2721 FPS @ 50F.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42284/5_56MM_62GR__CCCu_exit_from_10_5_at_100y-1855180.JPG

Water shot over expansion/fragmentation of the 62GR. CCCu bullet from a 10.5" Noveske N4 Switchblock barrel w M4 can attached @1880 FPS:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42284/62GR__CCCu_at_1880_FPS_Water_Shot__3__jp-1855192.JPG

View Quote

Appreciate that. I’m already planning on getting more down the road.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
BHA's gel test of their relatively new 5.56MM 62GR. Dual Performance™ load with the 2nd Gen Lehigh CCCu bullet looks VERY good. The round has 5.56MM MV/early over-expansion/designed fragmentation/very deep penetration of the core/and an accurate bullet. That is about everything I can expect out of any current 5.56MM load for general SD/HD/hunting use.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42284/5_56MM_62GR__CCCu_exit_from_10_5_at_100y-1855180.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42284/62GR__CCCu_at_1880_FPS_Water_Shot__3__jp-1855192.JPG

View Quote

That’s awesome performance out of a 10.5” barrel.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s awesome performance out of a 10.5” barrel.
View Quote

I have shot several different type & size animals with this round out of the 10.5" N4 Noveske Switchblock barrel I normally hunt with. Even 300lb. plus razorbacks have only required a single 62GR. CCCu round to the chest cavity. The 62GR. CCCu bullet has killed very efficiently from the 10" class truck guns that bounce around in front of my 4x4 for 9 months a year. Will shoot a few animals with the 5.56MM pressure 62GR. CCCu fired from 14.5" M4/M4A1 and 20" M16A4 barrels before the summer heat arrives. I don't foresee anything other than improved terminal performance from longer barrels but I want to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have shot several different type & size animals with this round out of the 10.5" N4 Noveske Switchblock barrel I normally hunt with. Even 300lb. plus razorbacks have only required a single 62GR. CCCu round to the chest cavity. The 62GR. CCCu bullet has killed very efficiently from the 10" class truck guns that bounce around in front of my 4x4 for 9 months a year. Will shoot a few animals with the 5.56MM pressure 62GR. CCCu fired from 14.5" M4/M4A1 and 20" M16A4 barrels before the summer heat arrives. I don't foresee anything other than improved terminal performance from longer barrels but I want to be sure.
View Quote

Whats your take vs 70gr TSX?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whats your take vs 70gr TSX?
View Quote

JD,
    I have shot a lot of animals with high velocity 5.56MM 70GR. TSX loads over the past 14 years or so. It has been an extremely dependable 5.56MM loading, literally a game changer in regards to 5.56MM terminal performance. So far, the 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu appears to give us everything that made the 5.56MM 70GR. TSX attractive: high MV/expansion/penetration/good accuracy. But the CCCu also gives us designed early fragmentation. So far, the early over-expansion/fragmentation of the 62GR. CCCu bullet appears to yield quicker kills than the 70GR. TSX. When it comes to quick kills with a 5.56MM, nothing I have used has beaten the BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK. But as you know, the TMK bullet is of conventional non-bonded copper jacket/lead core design. Because of this, the TMK has penetration limitations especially at very high impact velocity such as from a 20" or longer barrel at close range. It starts acting more like a varmint bullet with shallow penetration. The 62GR. CCCu bridges the gaps in terminal performance between bonded/homogenous bullets and the conventional design non-bonded bullets. The 5.56MM CCCu is about as close to a GP 5.56MM load as I have seen so far. That is a very hard niche to fill. .02
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

JD,
    I have shot a lot of animals with high velocity 5.56MM 70GR. TSX loads over the past 14 years or so. It has been an extremely dependable 5.56MM loading, literally a game changer in regards to 5.56MM terminal performance. So far, the 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu appears to give us everything that made the 5.56MM 70GR. TSX attractive: high MV/expansion/penetration/good accuracy. But the CCCu also gives us designed early fragmentation. So far, the early over-expansion/fragmentation of the 62GR. CCCu bullet appears to yield quicker kills than the 70GR. TSX. When it come to quick kills with a 5.56MM, nothing I have used has beaten the 5.56MM 77GR. TMK. But as you know, the TMK bullet is of conventional non-bonded copper jacket/lead core design. Because of this, the TMK has penetration limitations especially at very high impact velocity such as from a 20" or longer barrel at close range. It starts acting more like a varmint bullet with shallow penetration. The 62GR. CCCu bridges the gaps in terminal performance between bonded/homogenous bullets and the conventional design non-bonded bullets. The 5.56MM CCCu is about as close to a GP 5.56MM load as I have seen so far. That is a very hard niche to fill. .02
View Quote

This is an excellent post.

I shot a lot of culls with 90(?)gr TTSX in .243 and was very disappointed, mostly because I saw such a wide variety of performance. Some did great, but most performed average to below average.  I saw a lot of pretty clean passthroughs that left little to no blood trail.

That left me really down on the copper bullets, but this fragmenting type is a whole different deal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

JD,
    I have shot a lot of animals with high velocity 5.56MM 70GR. TSX loads over the past 14 years or so. It has been an extremely dependable 5.56MM loading, literally a game changer in regards to 5.56MM terminal performance. So far, the 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu appears to give us everything that made the 5.56MM 70GR. TSX attractive: high MV/expansion/penetration/good accuracy. But the CCCu also gives us designed early fragmentation. So far, the early over-expansion/fragmentation of the 62GR. CCCu bullet appears to yield quicker kills than the 70GR. TSX. When it comes to quick kills with a 5.56MM, nothing I have used has beaten the BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK. But as you know, the TMK bullet is of conventional non-bonded copper jacket/lead core design. Because of this, the TMK has penetration limitations especially at very high impact velocity such as from a 20" or longer barrel at close range. It starts acting more like a varmint bullet with shallow penetration. The 62GR. CCCu bridges the gaps in terminal performance between bonded/homogenous bullets and the conventional design non-bonded bullets. The 5.56MM CCCu is about as close to a GP 5.56MM load as I have seen so far. That is a very hard niche to fill. .02
View Quote

This is excellent. Now to find it...
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Underwood has some in stock on their site and NWA Tactical has BH listed.  I bought two boxes from Underwood this morning and it has already shipped.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
What would you guys rather have for home defense / duty:

mk318 or 62gr Controlled Chaos?

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What would you guys rather have for home defense / duty:

mk318 or 62gr Controlled Chaos?

View Quote

I prefer mk318 but only because it has crimped primers, and is loaded slightly faster. Performance seems to be very similar, if not on par
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Underwood has some in stock on their site and NWA Tactical has BH listed.  I bought two boxes from Underwood this morning and it has already shipped.
View Quote

Good looking out. Ordered.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Is NWA tactical good to go?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought 1K rounds of 55 grain Controlled Chaos and got it in within a week. Going to try to go to the range tomorrow and get the AR sighted in for it and see what POI change it has from Wolf Gold 55 grain.

I’m hoping I can make it out to the ranch with some ballistic gel in the next couple of months and do a very unscientific test on expansion and penetration.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top