Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2021 9:39:15 AM EDT
I haven't been able to find a good quality 4.3 inch long (or similar) in 30 cal (5/8-24 threads) XM-177 type flash hider. So I can use on a 30 cal project.

Similar to what Brownells has but in 5/8-24????  I would have thought someone would have made a retro carbine project in 30 cal.

I'm not wanting the 5.5 (3/4 diameter) cheaper ones I have found (they just look like an extension of the barrel to me and not proper).

I suppose its possible to re-tap a 1/2x28 to 5/8-24 with a lathe to keep it concentric but would think someone makes them already??

Any options out there?

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem you are going to run into is the wrench flats at the rear.  If you bore out a "regular" moderator and thread it with 5/8 threads, there isn't enough material at the wrench flats to allow that.

JT
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Well there's this, but it's a slip-over muzzle device so it's actually five inches long.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I have one or two of those. I was thinking perhaps he could use that by cutting it down to the length he's after, maybe? Still have to fabricate a grenade ring, tho.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Not exactly what you are looking for, but might make a nice stand in for a prototype look.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913651745

John
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top