Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2020 10:43:12 AM EDT
Hi, I traded parts for ammo a few years back. In the lot I got 3, 50rd boxes of Federal P45HS1G, 230gr Hydra-Shok LE tactical. I know there is better loads out there now. Am I crazy that I am considering using this as my carry load until ammo prices return to normal?

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a thing in the world wrong with Federal HST.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It is the one with the post. Hydra-shok, not HST....
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mrguapo713:
It is the one with the post. Hydra-shok, not HST....
View Quote

Should work fine, but i think they tend to clog with heavy clothing.
I'm a fan of HST and carry it in 9/45
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
3x 50 round boxes probably isn't going to last too long, but I wouldn't mind putting it in the rotation
I think it'd make a great practice ammo! A few years old, a little obsolete/outdated, but still worth practicing with.
Most guys like to practice with FMJ and don't get a chance to shoot a lot of "good stuff" downrange.
You have a "bird in hand" opportunity to do it.

Fire off a box to see if it's dialed in, how it functions, etc.
Then run it in the carry rotation.
Eventually shoot through it and move on.
You'll be out in a few range sessions but I could see making use of it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in the 90's the Fed Hydra Shok 230 was the shitz and that is what I carried. Very accurate, reliable, and after shooting it into my primitive 90's media of wet-pack, water jugs etc, it always worked great.

20 years later, we have learned that they do not work great through heavy clothing and there are better loads like the HST. But the good news with the 45 is that even mediocre old school loads are darned good, unlike the old 9mm etc.

I would have no problem carrying it, especially now days since the better LE offerings like HST, Ranger (my preferred) seem unobtanium.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mrguapo713:
It is the one with the post. Hydra-shok, not HST....
View Quote

Gotcha. You gonna die!

No but seriously, it's not the "latest and best" but its a step up from FMJ and I would be comfortable carrying it if the alternative were FMJ or nothing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I will carry it until Hst prices and stock get back to normal. Thanks to all that responded!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top