Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2020 8:12:50 PM EDT
I helped clean up an estate and it had a substantial number of Okay magazines, all from 4/99. Marked on the bodies 33710,LE and government use only,and strangely Colts manufacturing. All with Okay floorplates. They are all new and all like this so I'm sure it's a factory mismatch. All have green followers. I shoot semi auto and all M193 or 62gr fusion. Any compelling reason to switch out the followers for Magpul?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
They’ll run fine.

Lots of Okay/Colt mismatched mags out there.  They’re all from the same place.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got late 90s/early 2k Okay mags with green followers that are 100% gtg.

Magpul followers are always solid kit. Personally I'd not change unless you have issues.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot them until you have a problem.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
good mags
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless you are having an issue with any of them, I'll just leave them alone.  I still have no issues with green followers shooting semi/full auto, suppressed/unsuppressed. (M855, M855A1, Mk262, Mk318 all out of 10.3"/14.5" guns)

CD
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow Times sure have changed. Ten years if someone asked this question the peanut gallery would ask why you would ask such a stupid question.  Any suggestion of leaving the stock USGI followers would be met with instant scorn and a warning that anything besides a non- tilting magazine follower you would surely die ( even if you were strictly a range only shooter).  I believe l was labeled a troll and hater for suggesting the USGI followers we're pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow Times sure have changed. Ten years if someone asked this question the peanut gallery would ask why you would ask such a stupid question.  Any suggestion of leaving the stock USGI followers would be met with instant scorn and a warning that anything besides a non- tilting magazine follower you would surely die ( even if you were strictly a range only shooter).  I believe l was labeled a troll and hater for suggesting the USGI followers we're pretty good.
View Quote

At least you got over it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think your perspective, and maybe even your recollection might be a little skewed.  Heck, I bet the black followers worked well in newer magazines.  Throw in a little contamination and some worn springs, and their design flaw began to show up.  That is when/why the military started going to the green anti-tilt followers.  Both were USGI, by the way.

Also, I don't know if the black followers in 20 round mags are the same as the problematic black followers in the 30 round magazines, but they don't seem to cause problems in the 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve used black follower mags since the late 80s and have never had a single issue. And that includes combat.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At least you got over it.
View Quote

Yes.  Don't know which is worse for my ego, being called a troll by some anonymous person on the internet or being called a troll by Larry Panka.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think your perspective, and maybe even your recollection might be a little skewed.  Heck, I bet the black followers worked well in newer magazines.  Throw in a little contamination and some worn springs, and their design flaw began to show up.  That is when/why the military started going to the green anti-tilt followers.  Both were USGI, by the way.

Also, I don't know if the black followers in 20 round mags are the same as the problematic black followers in the 30 round magazines, but they don't seem to cause problems in the 20 rounders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black followers present zero problems in straight magazines.
The military invented and patented the first go at improving the followers.  It takes thousands of rounds of shooting to see an improvement.  My memory of events from back then is spot on.  This place goes through cycles and fads more than The National Enquirer
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As a matter of course, I ONLY use Okay Industries magazines (except for a few others I only use on the range).

ALL are modified with Magpul Gen III Yellow followers and Magpul Ranger L floor plates.

It’s simply (and CHEAPLY) eliminating a couple of POSSIBLE failure points.
View Quote

This.

I'm sure Okay mags (minus black followers will be fine) but I wasnt a fan of the green/sea foam green followers. The second I push the front down, it would nose dive.

Swapped all mine out with the FDE magpul followers you can get from DSG arms where a 10 packs only cost 12 bucks. As others have said, they should be fine, but upgrade if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been running with black followers since 1987, when they were the only followers, and have yet to have a single issue. Used in both the M16A2 and the first variant of the M249 SAW with the selective rate of fire, not any issues, used them in deserts, jungles, on mountains, in snow up to my backside. Used them in combat, even traded the then new green follower mags for the old black followers. So not only have I never had any failures, I've actually bet my life on them. I am still using several of those old magazines to this day with out failure.

Feel free to ask me what I had to do to get brand new green follower Center Industries mags running correctly in 2004 during our mob for Iraq.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've been running with black followers since 1987, when they were the only followers, and have yet to have a single issue. Used in both the M16A2 and the first variant of the M249 SAW with the selective rate of fire, not any issues, used them in deserts, jungles, on mountains, in snow up to my backside. Used them in combat, even traded the then new green follower mags for the old black followers. So not only have I never had any failures, I've actually bet my life on them. I am still using several of those old magazines to this day with out failure.

Feel free to ask me what I had to do to get brand new green follower Center Industries mags running correctly in 2004 during our mob for Iraq.
View Quote

I am glad they have worked out for you.  But the Marine Corps replaced them for a reason.  In 12 years in the Marine Corps, I only had about a handful of feed problems during training and yearly qualifications.  By isolating and marking my magazines, the problems always came back to the black follower magazines.  When it was time to turn in the gear at the end of the day, I would ask the armorer for green follower magazines and they swapped the magazines out for me.  I longer had any problems when I got rid of the black follower magazines.  

You had your experiences, I had mine.  Many more people's experience with the black followers aligns with mine than it does with yours.  That is why they were phased out.  And this was long before it was cool to follow every trend on gun forums.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I seem to see a pattern with the magazines.  If an individual is issued and maintains those mags for the entire time in that unit, not many issues.  If on the other hand, magazines are issued out every time then their are issues.  There is no incentive for people not to trash their mags.  I always maintained my mags and if I had an issue with one, it was immediately taken out of rotation to trouble shoot.

CD
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I helped clean up an estate and it had a substantial number of Okay magazines, all from 4/99. Marked on the bodies 33710,LE and government use only,and strangely Colts manufacturing. All with Okay floorplates. They are all new and all like this so I'm sure it's a factory mismatch. All have green followers. I shoot semi auto and all M193 or 62gr fusion. Any compelling reason to switch out the followers for Magpul?
View Quote

I replace all followers on any surplus USGI mags with the Magpul followers. I would rather have 100% confidence in the follower not being the weak point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've got late 90s/early 2k Okay mags with green followers that are 100% gtg.

Magpul followers are always solid kit. Personally I'd not change unless you have issues.
View Quote

Tigmeister is correct for a thousand!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top