Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2018 2:10:03 AM EDT
I have started a thread over in the gunsmith section of the forums.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/What-do-you-do-when-replacement-furiture-becomes-too-expensive-rare-/49-492756/

Here is what I was trying to replicate.

The results:

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
nice job
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Phenomenal quality. I myself am working on some 3D-printed weapon parts (and 3D-printed weapons ) and these, these are inspirational to my kinda-ugly prints. How'd you finish them up? Just sanding?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Phenomenal quality. I myself am working on some 3D-printed weapon parts (and 3D-printed weapons ) and these, these are inspirational to my kinda-ugly prints. How'd you finish them up? Just sanding?
View Quote
The finish on those parts looks very good as pictured. There are several methods to smooth printed plastic posted on Youtube.
I have not tried this method, it's just one example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4edNztaPU
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#5]
That’s incredible.  You win the internets today.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Those are straight from the company that printed them, no sanding, nothing done. Bolt them up and go.

I had them dye the parts black was the only post printing process i did.

The price of each part is how much material it takes to do it so designing complex parts to minimize material use just makes them cheaper. The stocks pictured cost me less than $90 ea.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
That is awesome. I would be interested in checking out that company as I am not completely satisfied with my AR180 3D printed pistol grips. Those look fantastic.

Give them a shout out or hit me up via PM with their contact info.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Those are awesome!  I teach a Maker Revolution course at my university where the students have to design and print something. Nothing like that, though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
For a retro project I did, I drew up the plan in VISIO and converted it to a PDF file, as well as some file formats to be read into a 3D printing program. Another person had it printed to confirm my measurements were on target and they were. It is a great way to rapid prototype stuff as long as the material used is good, the resulting parts can be used where stresses are minimal.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top