Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2019 11:08:21 PM EDT
Buddy has a 3d printer, only set up to pront w something called PLA.  Was gonna have him make a prototype upper receiver.

It will be a thick walled heavy billet type, FWIW, but will ise standard threads on upper receiver.  Would use a short light barrel, and fire very gingerly, more of a proof of concept and dimensional check.

Anyone ever done something like this w an upper?  I hear people print lowers and they crack on the back in short order, as can be expected...

Thanks

ETA:  apparantly basic 3d printer plastic is very brittle and temperature sensitive and the threads could crack off the uper under semi-auto use possibly causing the bolt and BE to go out of alignment and fail to go into battery proper, so potentially dangerous, to say nothing of melting.

Anyone know a service that will cnc machine or metal print a one-of protoype part??
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not even attempt to put a round through it, all of the pressure is in the upper receiver and barrel, sounds like a great recipe for a nice kaboom.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not even attempt to put a round through it, all of the pressure is in the upper receiver and barrel, sounds like a great recipe for a nice kaboom.
View Quote
you mean plastic won't contain a 35,000 psi explosion?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
I want pictures!

Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
It...doesn't have to? I would hope the barrel, barrel extension, and the lugs and bolt are containing the pressure and not the receiver. The receiver just ensures the stability of components and guides the bolt carrier. You think the aluminum of the upper is any stronger than the steel it holds together? You all forget that Bushmaster made a glass-filled nylon upper receiver once. Not terribly durable but it wasn't a bomb.

OP, as long as its properly in battery, I don't doubt it will fire once.  From what I understand PLA is very soft and low-temp. I would try to find someone who can at least print it in Nylon, that stands a better chance of lasting more than one round. The main issue I see is that the weight of the barrel, and the resultant torque from the tip whipping up and down after firing would likely crack the threaded portion off. That or the lugs the takedown pins go through would break or deform severely.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this thread we see who doesnt know how an AR works
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
SLA materials are nice, pretty, clean and brittle.

They are good for fitment parts and to show parts at trade shows and such. They are not enfgineering grade materials.

I wouldn’t ever try an SLA part for function testing an upper.

Maybe DMLS but that would take a lost of secondary operations to smooth out the internal features of the upper.

This is what I do for work and have had people ask the same question.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It...doesn't have to? I would hope the barrel, barrel extension, and the lugs and bolt are containing the pressure and not the receiver. The receiver just ensures the stability of components and guides the bolt carrier. You think the aluminum of the upper is any stronger than the steel it holds together? You all forget that Bushmaster made a glass-filled nylon upper receiver once. Not terribly durable but it wasn't a bomb.

OP, as long as its properly in battery, I don't doubt it will fire once.  From what I understand PLA is very soft and low-temp. I would try to find someone who can at least print it in Nylon, that stands a better chance of lasting more than one round. The main issue I see is that the weight of the barrel, and the resultant torque from the tip whipping up and down after firing would likely crack the threaded portion off. That or the lugs the takedown pins go through would break or deform severely.
View Quote
Selective laser sintering (SLS) can do fully functional engineering grade nylons but you will have layer lines and such.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I appreciate the feedback.  I dont know the second thing about these printers or this pla plastic.

Yeah, my main concern is the weight of the barrel, and you have a good point about the harmonics.  I will probably get a 10 or 11” pencil barrel.

Do you know what it takes to upgrade to nylon?  Buddy said something about a precisely controlled environment being necessary w Nylon or carvon fibre.

Maybe there is a Business that will print files you send to them??
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SLA materials are nice, pretty, clean and brittle.

They are good for fitment parts and to show parts at trade shows and such. They are not enfgineering grade materials.

I wouldn’t ever try an SLA part for function testing an upper.

Maybe DMLS but that would take a lost of secondary operations to smooth out the internal features of the upper.

This is what I do for work and have had people ask the same question.
View Quote
Thanks so much for your input.

Ill probably still have him print it for fittmebt and modeling purposes but would have to get something else. made for prototyping.

Are there services that will print one offs in  some thermally stable CF for a guy?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Key words in your statement.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Big assumption you are making there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:51:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not reallly if you think the upper receiver is a “stressed part” in the lockup of the action.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not reallly if you think the upper receiver is a “stressed part” in the lockup of the action.
View Quote
Ok
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really? Here's a little experiment for you. Pull your charging handle out of your AR and fire it. Make sure you have a good NTCH proper shooting stance. How does that "no pressure" feel. By the way, learn to spell and think in complete sentences, it makes it easier to understand what your trying to ask.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Pulling the charging handle out of the gun changes nothing now pull the gas tube out then that will make a difference, (it will then be a single shot bolt action)
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pulling the charging handle out of the gun changes nothing now pull the gas tube out then that will make a difference, (it will then be a single shot bolt action)
View Quote
Feel free to try what I posted. It will change your face.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Really? Here's a little experiment for you. Pull your charging handle out of your AR and fire it. Make sure you have a good NTCH proper shooting stance. How does that "no pressure" feel. By the way, learn to spell and think in complete sentences, it makes it easier to understand what your trying to ask.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gas key doesnt come off the gas tube till well after the bullet has uncorked.  Sure the tube still spits a little something at your eye but you are moving the goal posts, that is nothing in the realm of 27k psi.

How much psi do you think that little CH latch hanging on that little aluminum edge can take lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#19]
 This ones looking good already!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're talking about a jet of pressure coming out of the gas tube that is expanding into a relatively large void of free space, which by the time the gas key uncovers said gas tube, the ejection port is open, you know that massive hole in the side of the receiver? On top of that all that gas is going to be under the charging handle anyway, directing it to the ejection port.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're talking about a jet of pressure coming out of the gas tube that is expanding into a relatively large void of free space, which by the time the gas key uncovers said gas tube, the ejection port is open, you know that massive hole in the side of the receiver? On top of that all that gas is going to be under the charging handle anyway, directing it to the ejection port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. With this "massive hole in the side of the receiver" open there is still enough pressure to blow crud in your face through the small gas tube opening. So now explain how that fact in anyway proves there is no pressure in the upper receiver. Were talking about the feasibility of a printed plastic upper receiver. It's just not going to happen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The gas key doesnt come off the gas tube till well after the bullet has uncorked.  Sure the tube still spits a little something at your eye but you are moving the goal posts, that is nothing in the realm of 27k psi.

How much psi do you think that little CH latch hanging on that little aluminum edge can take lol
View Quote
Check my post, notice the emoji? The extreme pressure was in jest, yet high pressures are indeed present in the upper. More than enough to turn your plastic printed receiver into a bomb. What do you plan to do about the barrel nut? Simple high school psychics will tell you that the pressure pushing the bullet down the barrel is also trying to push the barrel right along with it. Do you think the plastic threads will hold up to that? Now how about the surfaces the bolt rides along. Steel riding on hard coat aluminum is one thing, but plastic will simply not hold up. Take a look at any polymer pistol frame, notice how all the surfaces that the slide rides on are metal?  By the time you reinforce a plastic upper enough to actually be usable more than once you will be left with just a plastic skin over a metal frame. Hardly a cost effective replacement for a $50 forged aluminum upper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#23]
^
Dude, the slide pistol intercace is a moving part.  The barrel is not a moving part.  Thats just apples to apples.

The pressure under the bullet is pushing back against the bolt, which is locked into the BE, which is screwed/pinned to the barrel...

As previously discussed, weball agreed that use, under semi autobfire particular could cause the receiver to break in various ways.

Sure some equalization of pressure bt the bore and atmosphere occurs after the action unlocks and ejects the case, none of that, alone, is blowing up anything.

This is a new design, is why i am looking into the printing, sure a pla upper would not be a good alternative to real metal or CF upper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
^
Dude, the slide pistol interface is a moving part. The barrel is not a moving part. Thats just apples to apples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
^
Dude, the slide pistol interface is a moving part. The barrel is not a moving part. Thats just apples to apples.
Quoted:

Now how about the surfaces the bolt rides along.
Nothing that you can 3D print at home is going to stand up to the abuse of an AR upper for very long.  PLA certainly isn’t.  It probably won’t even last all that long just being hand cycled.  Nylon will last somewhat longer, but it’s going to fail too.  Even ejection molded plastic fails in AR uppers and lowers with shocking regularity.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
^
Dude, the slide pistol intercace is a moving part.  The barrel is not a moving part.  Thats just apples to apples.

The pressure under the bullet is pushing back against the bolt, which is locked into the BE, which is screwed/pinned to the barrel...

As previously discussed, weball agreed that use, under semi autobfire particular could cause the receiver to break in various ways.

Sure some equalization of pressure bt the bore and atmosphere occurs after the action unlocks and ejects the case, none of that, alone, is blowing up anything.

This is a new design, is why i am looking into the printing, sure a pla upper would not be a good alternative to real metal or CF upper.
View Quote
Yes and the carrier/upper interface is a moving part. Whats your point? A steel carrier riding on plastic is not going to work. Are you that dense? You came seeking advise and then want to argue when the answers don't fit your wishes. I've been a FFL manufacturer for 40+ years, converted my first (of hundreds) of AR's to select fire in 1977. What your thinking will not work and is very dangerous to even attempt. Buy feel free to try just don't say you wern't warned and please don't have anyone around when you test it. I'll nominate you for the Darwin Award.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#26]
If you're just testing your upper for dimensional compatibility, might try running it w/ just a .22 LR adapter installed.  But try to find a printer that @ least uses ABS, if not nylon.

Post pics!
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#27]
FOSSCAD has a couple of pistol caliber designs. (*Disclaimer: I haven't tried to make these)
Single shot .380 upper

9mm Shuty 3D Pistol
Test firing at end of video.

eta: You can also download a 3D model of an AR from this arfcom topic. Each component is seperate so you could use that as a base to prototype (at your own risk)
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I would not attempt to print any gun part in PLA thats anywhere close to heat and force.  I print my PLA @ 210 degrees C (410F).  My bed is heated to 60C (140F).

So at 140, the PLA is soft enough that it deforms and sticks to glass.  And at 410 it is so soft it can be extruded like toothpaste.  Don't even start talking about how weak PLA is when its hard.  Just think a bit about how easily it turns from a solid plastic part into pudding.  You do not want to use it anywhere near any sort of explosion, especially 6 inches from your face.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes and the carrier/upper interface is a moving part. Whats your point? A steel carrier riding on plastic is not going to work. Are you that dense? You came seeking advise and then want to argue when the answers don't fit your wishes. I've been a FFL manufacturer for 40+ years, converted my first (of hundreds) of AR's to select fire in 1977. What your thinking will not work and is very dangerous to even attempt. Buy feel free to try just don't say you wern't warned and please don't have anyone around when you test it. I'll nominate you for the Darwin Award.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^

Like 5 times in this thread i said i would not use it to make a functional prototype.   You are so anxious to make dramatic statements that you fail at reading.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
FOSSCAD has a couple of pistol caliber designs. (*Disclaimer: I haven't tried to make these)
Single shot .380 upper

9mm Shuty 3D Pistol
Test firing at end of video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bSLiFx36lk

eta: You can also download a 3D model of an AR from this arfcom topic. Each component is seperate so you could use that as a base to prototype (at your own risk)
View Quote
Thanks bro
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top