Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2021 6:18:46 PM EDT
I am losing hair over this one it will feed and shoot win flat nose fmj no problem but i have tried any hunting round and it either missing getting one out of the mag or gets jammed up halfway home? Any ideas have polished feed ramps lowered front lip of mag, tried heavy and standard buffer weights really just not sure where to go next at this point. I appreciate any help i can get.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Are these "hunting" rounds your own reloads or the winchester ammo?
Looking at winchester's website the bullets for the 350 legend look to be all truncated cone designs, trying to use a standard spire point bullet intended for the 35 Whelan or a round point intended for 35 remington won't feed the same due to the bullet making contact with feed ramps in a different place on the bullet ogive. Winchester ammo should feed without any problem, if your reloads don't try to find a truncated cone design bullet similar to what winchester is using.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
They are factory win 150 gr, hornady 165, 170, federal 170  im wondering if its over gassed? Going to try heavier spring anyone know if bca is known for over gassing their 10.5?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Ill take a couple pics of cases but i didn't notice any iver pressure signs in cases but doesn't mean gas system isnt over pressured. Im wondering if they over sized the gas port because its a 10.5" with a carbine system? May have over sized port to try and make sure it gets enough gas?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a build here having issues and still haven't figured it out . Looking it over my first thought was under gassed the bolt would stop short with the next fed round tilted up .

This is a friends rifle didn't really want to do any changes that were permanent so changing buffer spring and extractor spring were first. We already filed the front of the mags ran the the mag catch all the way in.

The buffer was the light carbine weight like 2.3 oz so didn't mess with that . The buffer spring wire was thicker than what I have around here so I swapped that to a lighter version.
The gun fed better shooting it here so I gave it him to hunt. He shot a deer but the gun misfed again.

Talking to Greatlakes the company that sells this barrel they suggested polishing the feed ramps . Still getting a misfeed I took the rubber oring out from under the extractor and tried it. It cycles like a champ but the brass is tore up rim and ejector mark.

Because of ammo being in short supply we having went any further .  The funny thing is when we hit the bolt release I can hear the harder hit on the back of the case then a dull thunk what the round hits the ramp.

So long story short I'm in for info !
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I just seen your post before posting my exact question  this am. I am having same problem with my 350 legend. Same barrel maker and I bet you my gun and upper came from the same builder in Iowa. I wish I had bought a complete factory gun bolt not closing lat 1/8 of inch , charging handle slow and dragging shut. 1st thing the Freind  whole Diagnosing the problem was the bolt carrier did not even gave a bolt carrier spring on it. Put one in and it helped but still problem of bolt not closing the last 1/8 of a inch. Will follow your post fir help on my gun. Marty
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve have a post running right now about this issue. Same issue you having with the 350 legend. Polished the feed ramp, lowered lip on the mag and running a H2 buffer. I found that the spring tension in the mag is to much. Clipped a few of the unused coils out and it started running almost everything.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/350-legend-feeding-issues-/66-751473/

Many have said not to clip the spring, but the rounds were too tight in the mag and the bolt didn’t have enough force to push the round out on the mag. And this worked for me.

Also check out mudbug outdoors on YouTube. He explains what’s going wrong and how to fix this problem.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I know this thread is old wanted to follow up with my rifle not feeding. The rounds were getting a nice dent from the bottom of the chamber while feeding it seems like the round is trying to turn while still being held by the magazine ?

I tries clipping the mag spring an it seemed to work much better but the rounds were tough to extract unfired .  After cleaning I looked inside with a bore scope and the chamber looked like crap terrible reamer marks.  

Disassembled the upper , chucked the barrel in the lathe and polished the chamber . After running 400 and 600 wet sandpaper I left a nice cross hatch finish.  Damned if the upper feed like a swiss watch dropping brass at about two o'clock in a nice pile. Still getting a little hit in the brass from the feeding but not as bad.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know this thread is old wanted to follow up with my rifle not feeding. The rounds were getting a nice dent from the bottom of the chamber while feeding it seems like the round is trying to turn while still being held by the magazine ?

I tries clipping the mag spring an it seemed to work much better but the rounds were tough to extract unfired .  After cleaning I looked inside with a bore scope and the chamber looked like crap terrible reamer marks.  

Disassembled the upper , chucked the barrel in the lathe and polished the chamber . After running 400 and 600 wet sandpaper I left a nice cross hatch finish.  Damned if the upper feed like a swiss watch dropping brass at about two o'clock in a nice pile. Still getting a little hit in the brass from the feeding but not as bad.

View Quote

Can you take pics of what you used/how you polished the chamber?   I have a 7.5” upper I’ve been trying to get to feed consistently.  Modified mags, removed o-ring, filed (m4) feed ramps.
     Ammo and range time are hard to come by so I havent messed with it much anymore, may scrap the barrel and try again with 10.5” or 16”
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can you take pics of what you used/how you polished the chamber?   I have a 7.5” upper I’ve been trying to get to feed consistently.  Modified mags, removed o-ring, filed (m4) feed ramps.
     Ammo and range time are hard to come by so I havent messed with it much anymore, may scrap the barrel and try again with 10.5” or 16”
View Quote

I chucked the barrel in a lathe but I bet you could spin the dowel with a drill instead ?  Take a 1/4" wood dowel and cut the end in half about two inches in so you can hook the sand paper and spin it .  
I just ran the 400with light oil till it seemed smooth the reamer marks then polished with the 600 grit . You don't want to over do it just snooth some of the rough marks .
Between that and clipping four coils off the mag springs the thing has been flawless .
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top