Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2020 9:00:35 AM EDT
I am NOT trying to start a pissing contest! Looking for honest perceptions and experiences, please.

Based on my experience (so, yes, I am biased) the standard carbine recoil spring is more than adequate in a 9mm simple blowback rig.

I never understood why people are attracted to the 308 recoil spring in a 9mm rig.

I've searched extensively on this site and the competition sites and the overwhelming majority of the time people are told to get rid of the 308 spring and put in a standard spring.  

Experts who have been building 9mm PCC for decades (such as Macon Armory) endorse using standard springs and extended buffers, yet this keeps coming up. Many end users who started with the 308 switch to the standard later on as they become more experienced.

Yet, some manufacturers actually recommend them.  Are they misguided?  Falling for some popular myth that 9mm "needs" a stronger recoil spring? Or is there some benefit that outweighs the potential negatives?

My experience and research found that the 308 springs:

- Reduce the time available for reliable ejection
- Increase bolt return speed (usually unnecessary)
- Increase cartridge chambering force (which can conceal bullet setback chambering issues, causing overpressure)
- Reportedly cause more dot/muzzle movement (unconfirmed)
- Make it slightly more difficult to charge the firearm
- Reportedly reduce perceived recoil by decelerating the bolt rearward travel quicker (unconfirmed)
- Absolutely do not act as a substitute for proper bolt mass
- Are sometimes used by individuals to reduce bolt overtravel with coil bind (!!!) instead of using an extended buffer
- Reportedly cause additional wear/battering of parts (unconfirmed)

So, what are your experiences?

Has anyone compared a 308 and standard recoil spring side-by-side in the same exact rig?  What were the results?

What made you go with a 308 spring over a standard (or did you just start with a 308 and never tried a standard?)

Edited to fix bullet point characters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've not seen any problems using a standard carbine spring but some folks just like to chase ghosts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Standard carbine spring user here as well.

I tried several enhanced carbine and one 308 spring, none of them seemed to improve ANYTHING. when I was talked into trying the 308 spring I had went too my LGS to pick up a 7.5oz extended buffer replacing the colt type 9mm buffer and spacer I had(using a carbine spring). The counter guy really talked up the 308 spring so I figured what the hell I'll try it. IMHO, it SUCKED! all the smoother recoil impulse, reduced recoil BS he touted was just that IMHO, BS. The flipping bolt slammed home so hard the muzzle dipped and recoil impulse and felt recoil was the same to me...

I have yet to try a buffer/spring combo that feels or works better than an extended 7.5oz buffer using a standard, plain old carbine spring. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
No experience with 308 springs but I went between a std. carbine spring & a Wolff xtra power carbine spring in a 16” 9mm upper and an 8.5 oz. dedicated buffer. The stronger spring made the really hot +p loads smoother but would choke on some cheaper 115gr . I went back to the std. spring, I built a 9mm AR to run any old 9mm I have lying around.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Curious about this as well. Was getting some pretty bad setback and FTF with the FM9 with their 308 spring.  Sent it back and no setback issues, no FTF problems.  Recoil is pleasant.  I randomly pulled chambered round during test firing and found no bullet deformity or setback after they did whatever it was they did to fix it.

ETA: FM uses a 308 carbine spring and heavy buffer in the FM9.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree. I lean more to heavier reciprocating mass and lighter spring.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Many people seem to think that a more powerful spring will slow down the opening of the bolt, or slow down the cyclic rate, or otherwise compensate for inadequate weight in a blowback system. This is incorrect. Spring tension makes a minimal amount of difference in the opening, but makes all the difference in the bolt closing velocity. The main function of excessive spring force is to cause feeding problems and batter the parts together as well as increasing bolt bounce. It takes far less force to strip a 9mm round and close the bolt on a 9mm blowback than it does to strip and feed a 5.56 as well as cam the bolt locked.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many people seem to think that a more powerful spring will slow down the opening of the bolt, or slow down the cyclic rate, or otherwise compensate for inadequate weight in a blowback system. This is incorrect. Spring tension makes a minimal amount of difference in the opening, but makes all the difference in the bolt closing velocity. The main function of excessive spring force is to cause feeding problems and batter the parts together as well as increasing bolt bounce. It takes far less force to strip a 9mm round and close the bolt on a 9mm blowback than it does to strip and feed a 5.56 as well as cam the bolt locked.
View Quote

You mean drawback? I don't think its an intended function..
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mean drawback? I don't think its an intended function..
View Quote

I doubt it's what is intended, but it's what it does.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry but I'm struggling with this discussion.  I understand that you will use a buffer spring of various strengths for multiple reasons such as delaying bolt opening and controlling rate of fire, but if I just want to look at slowing down the bolt in the fire stroke (not the return to battery stroke) I wanted to see if I could quantitatively see what a "stronger" spring would do versus weight of the reciprocating parts.  I make a ton of assumptions here so this may be all goofed up as far as my thinking.  I start with the Newtonian equation of F=ma.  I'm particularly interested in the "a" or acceleration of the moving mass (bolt and buffer).  A lower "a" means a slower reciprocating mass.  This is for a blowback PCC (no delay mechanism like CMMG RDB or ball detent, etc)

Start with the base case.  Carbine spring that has a holding force of say 9 lbs.  A buffer weight of 8 oz.  Call this the 1 PU (per unit) case.

Next is the strong spring case.  Everything is the same except the spring is 13 lbs.

Finally there is the heavy buffer case.  Every thing the same as the base case except a buffer weight of 12 oz (what I use in my 9mm PCC)

Lets say that in the base case, the chamber pressure minus spring force, friction, hammer spring force, etc, is 3500 lbs or 1 PU (per unit).  The mass of the reciprocating parts is the bolt mass plus the buffer mass (call it 15 + 8 oz) = 1 PU.  So F = ma, and a = F/m = 1 PU.

In the strong spring case, the difference is 4 lbs, which is minuscule compared to the force on the bolt face from the gas pressure of a fired round.  Like 30,000 PSI acting on a 0.4 inch diameter bolt face.  I estimate that the amount of force difference is F=0.999 PU.  Since the mass is the same, a=0.999 PU or a 0.1% decrease in acceleration.

In the heavy buffer case, m = 27/23 = 1.174.  So a = 8.852 PU or 14.81% decrease.

So a heavy buffer is much more effective at decreasing the acceleration of the reciprocating mass than a stronger spring.

Now.  Where has my thinking gone wrong here?  In testing, I know that a extra power spring (not a Tubbs .308 flatwire spring) reduces port pop on my suppressed 9mm blowback PCC significantly.  So, to me, that stronger spring does keep the bolt closed longer.  A strong spring (like a Spingco Red) combined with my heavy buffer will cause some ammunition to not be able to properly cycle, but I haven't had any issues with a plain old carbine spring.  In addition, I do not like the effects of the strong return to battery stroke, so I stayed with a standard carbine spring, and live with the small port pop.  

Perhaps, there is another factor that I call sticktion or the force necessary to break loose the reciprocating mass just to get it moving.   Maybe the stronger spring provides a lot more sticktion so that even with such high force on the bolt face, it takes longer for the bolt to even start moving?  Ah crap... I'm just a dork not thinking straight as usual.  To me, this all tells me that a heavier buffer is more effective at slowing down the reciprocating parts, but doesn't really tell the whole story.

How would you guys approach this quantitatively?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top