Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2021 4:36:36 PM EDT
Hi All,

I have a 308 larue ultimate upper kit on order and I am looking at my options for getting this thing built up. I was wondering if there was maybe anyone in the Twin Cities (MN) area who had a reaction rod or comparable tool I could use to get my barrel torqued on? I was looking at ordering one of the MI 308 upper receiver rods, but really only have plans for the one and only build, and would like to avoid adding another one time use tool to my box.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are asking for a tool to tighten the barrel nut on, don't use one of those, seen a lot of threads where people have screwed up their receiver, or sheared the barrel pin off.

Use an upper receiver cam shell holder.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I am open to other tools as well including clam shells. My preference would be for the midwest industries rod though as it has the added extension for the charging handle channel to take the stress off the index pin. At least that is my understanding, still a novice with this stuff. I agree I wouldn't want to just use a standard reaction rod without that extension though for torqueing down the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it a flat-top?

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it is a flat top, but I don't think I have the balls to try a set up like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are asking for a tool to tighten the barrel nut on, don't use one of those, seen a lot of threads where people have screwed up their receiver, or sheared the barrel pin off.

View Quote

Wait, what? Link to those threads by any chance? Were you confusing the Midwest for a Geiselle? One has features to prevent what you said while the other does not.

Midwest Industries

Geissele
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Two pieces of wood and a decent sized bench vice also work.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes it is a flat top, but I don't think I have the balls to try a set up like that.
View Quote

if You don't have the balls to use a simple wood clamp, what are you doing with an AR15?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

if You don't have the balls to use a simple wood clamp, what are you doing with an AR15?
View Quote

Doing nothing with an AR15 actually, going with an AR10 to maybe give me a little more balls?

In all seriousness though, why fault someone for choosing to use the proper tool to build a $1500 firearm as opposed to jerry rigging something up that could work, and certainly has worked for many in the past, but still presents potential to screw things up? When you spend enough time using hand tools one learns you should always use the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not an issue with the MI tool.

And OP, I have one if you want to drive 8 hours lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure you do

It is basically a perpendicular clamshell fixture.  It doesn't take a lot of torque to reach spec.  What handguard/barrel-nut system are you using?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol thanks for the offer, if things were warmer I'd maybe be tempted!

Quoted:

Sure you do

It is basically a perpendicular clamshell fixture.  It doesn't take a lot of torque to reach spec.  What handguard/barrel-nut system are you using?

Lol thanks, I am not sure what barrel nut system to call it other than whatever Larue Tactical uses on their ultimate upper kits. Probably some proprietary system, although don't quote me on that. They do provide the barrel nut wrench though.

And I actually just ended up ordering one of the Midwest Industries 308 upper receiver rods myself, and figured I might just flip it on to someone else after I get my upper built up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a vise block in the north metro, it uses the takedown and pivot pins to lock the upper in place.

vise block

Nevermind, I didn't read the full post above this one...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Just use 2 pieces of wood in a vice, barrel wrench and torque wrench. Because those are the right tools for the job. Every build I've ever done used exactly like that. Anything else is unnecessary eye candy, for self gratification and a small amount of added convenience.

Those upper receiver blocks that only attach to the takedown pins without reinforcement within the upper receiver itself are known for causing damage to the upper. 2 blocks of wood provides full support.

Don't get hung up on insignificant aspects of a process. 2 blocks of wood takes care of the deal and with no drawbacks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
No thanks, I'd rather use the right tools that one person's opinion that thinks is eye candy, yet is really functional and is very much worth the coin I paid. Plus as an added benefit, there's no way to over-torque an upper sandwiched between to blocks of wood pressing inwards with nothing to keep the inside reinforced.

But you do you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#16]
an upper sandwiched between to blocks of wood pressing inwards with nothing to keep the inside reinforced
View Quote

A non-issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A non-issue.
View Quote

Not a non-issue.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Just consider buying the MI rod -- it will be of use for muzzle devices & resale price is often great.
I've used the much cheaper Brownells 308 extension tool once which sucked for mounting to the vise.
Funny thing, my Optics Planet backorder for the 308 MI Rod has finally shipped so take a look over there.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The last thing I would use is a clamshell. Talking from experience with the ar15 version, the MI rod has a metal tab the supports the upper from inside, and I have not had an issue seeing widened index slots even when loosening tight barrel nuts. The Geiselle rod tended to cause deformation to the index slot pin if torque exceeded 60-70 ft/lbs, but I prefer to keep it around for muzzle devices as the MI model requires the upper locking tab to be removed to clear the gas tube which is just tedious.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top