Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2020 12:01:53 AM EDT
I'm looking for a fun semi auto platform in 308 for a reason I can't put my finger on.  I like the idea of the OBR but I have a nice bolt gun, so then I was thinking PSA, then IWI Galil Ace. I'm not adverse to paying a fair price but I want it to be a quality rifle.  I'm not set on the AR platform but I know it and like it.  I'm open to options that are optics friendly ~2ish MOA (with good ammo and assuming I am able). What do you guys think I should look at? (I know this is the AR variant section but this kind of fits here, if it causes a problem please move, thank you)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The best: KAC SR-25 ~$4,500
work your way down depending on needs & budget
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Build AR 10
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say look at the M1A Springfield rifle.... there are a few variations.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I currently have a pre-ban M1A, Israeli War Hammer Light barrel FAL, Galil Ace, and Larue Tactical Ultimate Upper on a Larue Lower.  I've owned over the years about anything you can think of - preban FALs, HK91s, various AR10s, G3's, CETME's, etc.

Only one of the guns I own or have owned really fit the 2MOA (actually much better) criteria and that is the Larue Ultimate.  It's less than half the cost of an OBR but fully as capable.  At 100 yards the bullets touch.  In 1 day of a long range shooting class I was hitting steel targets out to 800 yards with it with ease.

All of them are fun to shoot - some more than others, but that Larue is never going anywhere.  It's the most accurate and capable rifle I have ever owned.  The only downside to it, is that it is heavy as hell...

Earl
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm kind of intrigued by the POF Rogue, based on the price I've heard they are to be sold at, as well as the dimensions, weight, and features. No reviews that I can easily find, it may not be out in the wild yet?

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/rogue/
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a POF P308 and really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Build off an Aero M5 receiver set
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
KAC SR-25 or a LMT MWS depending on budget would be my suggestions.  I've owened multiples of both over the years and still have a few of them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for all the input!  I’m leaning toward the LaRue ultimate rifle kit and a POF option. Both I think will fit my needs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]
LaRue would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of weight are you looking for?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a Black Rain Ordnance AR in 308 this week. I haven’t had a chance to shoot yet but it feels and looks well made.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have fired HK-91's and IMO they kick more than any other semi-auto. They fling brass 30+ feet and if you can find any of it, it's usually damaged too much to reload.

I owned a FN-FAL made in Belgium. Like the HK-91, the trigger was horrible. The FN has two features that make it a superior firearm:

1. It comes from the factory with a world class gas adjustment system.

2. Headspace can be adjusted by the owner by replacing different length bolt bars.

Accuracy of my FN was mediocre. With a premium barrel it should be able to shoot tighter groups.

M1-A. I own two M1-A Super Match rifles and shot them competitively from 1983 to 1994. They are accurate, reliable, old school cool and now have better scope mounting options. A 16" or better yet an 18" scout style M1-A with a quality red dot sight is a formidable firearm inside of 250 yards point and shoot ranges.

M1-A downsides:

1. True GI parts are getting harder to locate and prices are absurd. Most of the commercial parts are inferior to GI as far as metal quality and heat treatment are concerned.

2. M1-A gunsmiths with real talent are a dying breed. This isn't a rifle that garage gunsmiths can tackle in an afternoon of light reading.

AR-10's. I own two Armalite AR-10's, a 21" and a 16". Both built by me using factory parts and Noveske barrels. Both have been accurate and reliable. I selected the B model parts because I like the steel magazines. Not everyone likes the metal mags because virtually everyone else uses the DPMS/KAC/Magpul variety. I purchased enough steel magazines for my lifetime and my heirs lifetime.

AR-10's are the future IMO if .308 semi-auto rifles. Because your can easily mount optics of every style, change LOP with adjustable stocks, use match grade triggers, swap barrels at home and otherwise do everything you can to an AR-15 it makes it a straight forward choice.

All of the firearms I listed are good weapon systems. I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage with any of them, but the total flexibility of an AR-10 is hard to ignore.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top