Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2018 4:11:04 PM EDT
Cross post front m AR Pistols - I want a 300 blk out for suppressed use using a Sig SRD762 Can. This will be a home defense, hunting (small whitetails rarely over 110lbs) and plinker. I will be using a barrel less than 9". This will be a pistol using an SB Tactical SBA3 brace. Lower will be an 80% and I will most likely rattle can the entire gun (except suppressor). I typically woods hunt so less than 100 yd shots are most common. I have a 308 bolt action for longer shots. I also reload and make all my hunting rounds already. This is my first pistol AR.
I like PSA mainly because they are cheap, effective, local and as accurate as I will ever be.
List of PSA 300 BLK uppers
Anyone have experience with PSA 300 blkouts listed? Issues or recommendations on the finishes?
Really leaning towards the pistol length 7.5" with 7 inch handguard 1/8 twist.
Or should I build the whole upper using a nice Faxon or Ballistic Advantage barrel with adjustable gas block since I will be shooting suppressed majority of the time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered a 10.5 barreled upper this morning.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not go shorter than 8"

Getting a 220 gr bullet to 1050 fps out of an 8" barrel requires quite a bit of pressure.

You can go to lighter bullets and get the velocity but lose the heavy bullet selections.

Even though it is subsonic heavy bullets still drive up pressures.

I have taken to shooting cast bullets in the 245 gr range out of an 8" bbl and am having a lot of fun with that project.

Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my budget minded, but high quality 300 blackout SBR.

BCM M4 upper receiver
PSA BCG
Ballistic Advantage 8.5 barrel was 150
LWRC rail I got on a CDNN blowout sale a couple years back for 70 bucks
PSA SBR'd lower with STR stock was 190 plus 200 stamp
Leupold 1.5-4x Mark AR got on clearance for 260
Aero scope mount 70 bucks

The silencer is a Mack Brothers Varminter 3.0. That doesn't really qualify as a budget can, but it's the one I have.

Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an 8.5 inch 300 blackout I use for deer hunting it works great . Im not sure you need an adjustable gas block mine runs all 4 ways with out anything special h2 buffer and carbine spring works pretty good with pistol gas . my can is a yhm 7.62 phantom and reloading is the best way to go . I like outlaw state 220 grain bullets , they were about the only game in town when I built my pistol now others are making expanding or fracturing bullets , 1680 powder will be your friend as well as a chronograph . it sounds like your hunting situation is the same as mine deer here for the most part dont get real big except for the occasional monster buck.
I wish you well on your build.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My 8.5" upper. Wouldn't go shorter than 16" for hunting to get the most out of the round. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've taken 4 deer with a 9.5" build and super sonic 125 gn Noakes Bt bullets.    Great for shots inside 150 yds.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 8.5" upper. Wouldn't go shorter than 16" for hunting to get the most out of the round. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/447589/IMAG0943-569925.JPG
View Quote
From the research I’ve done, it appears that after 9 inches of barrel length you enter the realm of diminishing returns. Every publication I’ve read on the subject recommends a 9 inch barrel for optimal performance. Longer only increases bulk and weight with little appreciable velocity gain.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I "built" an 8.5" 300BO pistol from a complete upper and complete lower from PSA.

I've made no modifications from how PSA built the uppers and lowers.

I tested 190gr Nosler Custom Comps (the only one I loaded subsonic), 168gr SMK's, 150gr FMJ's, and 110gr Barnes.

Every one of them functioned the gun starting at minimum loads.

I do intend to have it handy for a "just in case" hunting weapon. Definitely not to start any sort of argument, the light/very light bullets are the only ones I found that you can expect to expand at common .300BO velocities. The Barnes is the only one I'm aware of designed to expand down to 1300FPS, which extends the effective range of the bullet by a significant amount, even with the 8.5" barrel. If you aren't looking for expansion, then shoot whatever you like...your bullet selection is going to be very large.

I've not yet had a chance to accuracy test any of the loads mentioned, but since I'd like to get some expansion, the 110gr Barnes is what I'm going to use for any potential hunts, as long as it's not ridiculously inaccurate in this gun for some reason.

As mentioned previous, I didn't see huge gains from longer barrels in load comparisons either...although 25FPS/inch is about the same as .308.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From the research I’ve done, it appears that after 9 inches of barrel length you enter the realm of diminishing returns. Every publication I’ve read on the subject recommends a 9 inch barrel for optimal performance. Longer only increases bulk and weight with little appreciable velocity gain.
View Quote
I get the whole 9", however I'm getting 400fps more out of my 16" barrel versus my 8.5" barrel

Barnes black tip:

8.5" 2020 fps
16" 2410 fps

I like that extra fps and muzzle energy on the target. Have taken many hogs when I was living in Florida with both set ups. More DRT with the 16" barrel versus the 8.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I get the whole 9", however I'm getting 400fps more out of my 16" barrel versus my 8.5" barrel

Barnes black tip:

8.5" 2020 fps
16" 2410 fps

I like that extra fps and muzzle energy on the target. Have taken many hogs when I was living in Florida with both set ups. More DRT with the 16" barrel versus the 8.5" barrel.
View Quote
I find similar results.  I love my 9.5" 300BO pistol that I use exclusively for my reloaded subs.  I have a 16", 1:10 barrel 300BO rifle that I use exclusively with supers...110g V-Max reloads.

My chrono showed noticeably lower numbers compared to my 16" when I fired my supers through my 9.5" pistol but closer to 250fps.  That may not sound like a lot, but when used in hunting situations where expansion out to distance is more critical, that can be important.  For close-in self defense, maybe not so much.  Application is everything.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Getting a 220 gr bullet to 1050 fps out of an 8" barrel requires quite a bit of pressure.

You can go to lighter bullets and get the velocity but lose the heavy bullet selections.

I have taken to shooting cast bullets in the 245 gr range out of an 8" bbl and am having a lot of fun with that project.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/85714.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/92432.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/84788.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/82707.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/82628.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/82786.JPG
View Quote
What scope are using the hog plex?  Point taken on the 8” min barrel length, seems like 8.5 is going to be my magic number. Basically a decent quality 1-4x20 leupold or vortex. Primary arms has the ballistic advantage 8.5” barrel for $99 prolly bite on that to get the project rolling.  Bad thing is I am overseas for 18 more months. Makes the wait for the suppressor easy  
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What scope are using the hog plex?  Point taken on the 8” min barrel length, seems like 8.5 is going to be my magic number. Basically a decent quality 1-4x20 leupold or vortex. Primary arms has the ballistic advantage 8.5” barrel for $99 prolly bite on that to get the project rolling.  Bad thing is I am overseas for 18 more months. Makes the wait for the suppressor easy  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/85714.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/92432.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/84788.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/82707.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/82628.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125658/82786.JPG
Leupold VX-6 Rifle Scope 30mm 1-6x 24mm (CDS) FireDot Circle
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
@Unkydon that’s a fine piece of glass.

I missed out on the BA 8.5” barrel for procrastination reasons. I am a cheap bastard and the PSA is going to fit my price limit when it comes on sale.

Can’t decide between the PSA stainless or the PSA nitride in 8.5”. No better than I can shoot it probably won’t make a difference.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Just from looking at the pictures, it APPEARS one of the stainless offerings has a thinner barrel profile under the handguard.

If so, it's not going to reduce weight much, but I'm fairly surprised at how heavy the 8.5" BO pistol is, so if it was the same price for both, or minimally more and the weight was less (I don't see a weight listing on PSA's site) I'd obviously go for the lighter weight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#15]
So you are saying stainless. I didn’t see weights on any of their uppers except one said 3lbs. In reality not going to tell the difference we are talking about a budget upper and we won’t notice the difference in a few ounces I can’t imagine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#16]
You are probably correct. I don't know where the point is that you will notice a weight difference.

Just weighed my PSA BO, bare, 5lbs 6oz.

8oz, which is probably unlikely given how little barrel we are talking about, would *almost* be a 10% weight reduction. It's pretty darn thick though, I'm guessing maybe 1"? Larger diameter than the gas block by an observable amount. Front seems to be right in the .72" realm, if my recollection of diameter of my other rifle forward of the block is correct.

I think the gun feels relatively heavy because it's so compact...adjusting your body to account for that means the elbows are bent sharply, and your hands are only about 8" apart given the short handguard. My 16" barreled .308 with scope and adjustable stock weighs in around 9lbs, so I can see where the weight *seems* different. Stock extended, that gun is probably a foot longer than the 300BO.

Realistically, probably not a concern at all. But I suppose if you want the lightest gun, and the price is the same, no reason not to go with the lighter barrel? I don't see an 8.5" barrel needing a whole lot of additional rigidity. :) But if you don't want to wait, you'll probably have to buy the first thing they have available. I see they are still sold out, I've noticed they have been for awhile, although the odd batch will pop up, they must not last.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#17]
PSA 300blkout

Picked up the PSA I wanted today 8.5”
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
PSA 300blkout

Picked up the PSA I wanted today 8.5”
View Quote
Congrats!  What's your latest plan for ammo?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy a few hundred rounds of factory hunting and subsonic to start with, probably 100 each. Buy some once fired brass and reload the rest. I already reload for all calibers just need the 300blkout die. Anyone have experience with a good die.

Should have shipped my reloading stuff with me overseas dammit. Could have been doing a lot of case prep. In hindsight.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I've gotten to the point of buying once fired brass that has been processed for my semi-auto rifles. It seems like there are a few that have problems with the brass not being done correctly, but if time factors into the equation, buying it ready to load may be an option. The source brass still seems cheap and plentiful enough that you can find some reasonably priced processed stuff. If you expect to do large quantities, it can also make sense to find a company that will process YOUR fired brass as well, so once you shoot up all your processed brass, you send it back for decapping, resizing and polishing.

Brownell's has the Hornady die set on sale: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?sid=104236&pid=54121

Not huge savings, but some. Cheaper than the Lee set, but the Lee set comes with the factory crimp die if you are planning to use one of those. Having already processed brass, the seater die was really all I needed, but I couldn't find just a seater for .300BO that was reasonably priced. I'm guessing some other similar size .30 cal seater dies would work, but I didn't do the leg work to find out. The .308 die is just too tall. It works, but consistency over the long run would be questionable since the actual bullet seater had to be screwed in so far I couldn't lock it in place. And I'm sure had I bought just a seater, I'd have found need for a sizer. Such is reloading. :)
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I use the RCBS small base dies for my 300BLK reloading.  Never had any issues.  Had great luck with the Barnes black tip 110gr bullets with whitetails out to 150 yards.  They shoot accurately further than that through my rifle, just haven't shot a deer past that distance yet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use the RCBS small base dies for my 300BLK reloading.  Never had any issues.  Had great luck with the Barnes black tip 110gr bullets with whitetails out to 150 yards.  They shoot accurately further than that through my rifle, just haven't shot a deer past that distance yet.
View Quote
What length barrel are you using?

Thank you all for the input on reloading and the rifle.  PSA already shipped

Too bad i wont see it until Christmas, hopefully by then I can get an optic and an SBA3 ordered for it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:13:30 AM EDT
[#23]
8.5” PSA, shoots great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

8.5 BO Pistol for HD with 220gr HP's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Good to know that’s near  identical to my game pla
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
How do you like the PA optic.  Is it the 300 blkout ACSS scope
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#27]
10.3" Daniel Defense barrel.  Also have a 16" Noveske stainless barreled upper that I take when I head out of state.  Too lazy to do the paperwork to travel with the SBR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
10.3" Daniel Defense barrel.  Also have a 16" Noveske stainless barreled upper that I take when I head out of state.  Too lazy to do the paperwork to travel with the SBR.
View Quote
SBPDW pistol.

Or SBA3 if you're cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't overlook the 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullets if you are reloading.  They have great expansion at low velocity as well, and can be loaded to pretty decent velocity in short barrels.   I can't campare directly to the 110 Barnes, but have taken 4 deer with the 125's and it has been fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

SBPDW pistol.

Or SBA3 if you're cheaper.
View Quote
Yea the pistol braces effectively gets us around the SBR law
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:45:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the bolder tips. This is what I am looking for specifically in the suppressed subsonic hunting realm. I will keep an eye out for the bullets. Any reloading data for this cartridge and bullet combination?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top