BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2021 9:14:48 PM EDT
Doing research into 300 bo.  I know of the reloading master thread for it but haven't found one regarding the caliber itself or the appropriate forum.  Figured posting here would be the closest to finding out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to know?

I've been shooting it since 2013, long before it was cool.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Relevant to my interests.
Noticed there wasn’t a pinned .300bo  QnA.

My limited knowledge is it can use the same bolt and mags as 223/5.56. Some 16” barrels  run pistol gas tubes other carbine.
And ammo is like hens teeth now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I love the niche it fills.

If you have a silencer and reload I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I would modify your statement to:
...You need a silencer and to reload.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s not my opinion. You don’t need a silencer or to reload to enjoy 300blackout.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
But, it shines with a silencer and short barrel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t reload and silencers are not allowed in Illinois.   I still prefer .300blk for its short barrel manners unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That’s not my opinion. You don’t need a silencer or to reload to enjoy 300blackout.
View Quote

Quoted:
But, it shines with a silencer and short barrel.
View Quote

I think both of these are accurate.

It's not necessary. But you are missing the full benefit if you don't have a can and reload. Sure it still gives great ballistics at close range but factory subs are loud and obviously no can is loud.

It's like having a truck and no hitch. Sure, you can enjoy the utilities of a truck without towing...but there are a lot of possibilities if you have a hitch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right now you do lol. Subs cost me under .50 a shot to reload, that's with 14cent primers.

Edit: Also it is very uncivilized to shoot unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Right now you do lol. Subs cost me under .50 a shot to reload, that's with 14cent primers.

Edit: Also it is very uncivilized to shoot unsuppressed.
View Quote

Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread needs pics...
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/2mKV9yA.jpg
View Quote

Agreed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Relevant to my interests.
Noticed there wasn't a pinned .300bo  QnA.

My limited knowledge is it can use the same bolt and mags as 223/5.56. Some 16" barrels  run pistol gas tubes other carbine.
And ammo is like hens teeth now.
View Quote
Same bcg as 5.56,thats accurate.

Mags will probably work most of the time for both as well, but Magpul, Lancer and probably others make designated 300blk mags. I think they have a little heavier spring (to handle a bunch of 220gr subs vs 55-77gr 5.56 bullets) and slightly different interior geometry to optimize for the different case/bullet.

Most bbls regardless of length seem to be pistol gas tubes.

I don't regret having one, but I don't shoot it much. As others have said, reloading to tweak a really quiet round is a big nice-to-have, and a suppressor is the same. My handloads are noticeably quieter than any factory subs I've tried.

All in all you do get great punch in a short bbl. I personally wouldn't go over about 9-9.5", and you don't give up much by going an inch or two shorter than that.

Mine is the bedside gun, and has a light on it now:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed:
I have 4 different uppers I'm playing with and swapping parts on.  But I really only care about my 9" and 7.5"   (The other two are 8.5" and 8.3")

No cans allowed in Illinois, and I can't think of a better caliber to shoot out of a short barrel unsuppressed.   9mm does not have the punch or range.  5.56 is loud and blasty, with less power. I have not tried 7.62x39, but I'm not a fan of AK's over AR's.   So that leaves .300blk.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Well since there is no main thread..  which is a disappointment...  I have come to the conclusion 8.5 to 9 is where it is.  Problem I have is trying to decide on an upper from who or who's barrel I should get and built local.  I could get a dd 10.3 locally but then it would be carbine gas system and be a little longer than what I am going for.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Try to get the upper and lower from same company you choose for a nice tight fit. Aero is a good one to go through.  Many others to chose from. Sucks trying to match upper and lower from different manufacturer's and see you have a little gap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no can and enjoy my .300BLK 10.5" SBR. I have had shorter and longer and kept the 10.5. No particular reason, just matched the 5.56 SBR upper I have.

I reload and cast my own bullets. I load very mild loads for fun and if I do get a suppressor, I will have a few sub loads at my finger tips.

I like my 230 grainers for blasting. They are super cheap to load because I cast, and.....they only take 10 grains of powder (4227,  etc.. ) compared to 25ish for 5.56. I also like hurling a large hunk of lead.

I find that standard 5.56 mags work fine for the lighter bullets, but the big fatties seem to excel in mags specifically for .300BLK...I use the magpul .300 mags, the lack of the forward rib helps them not swell like standard mags do.

Added: If I didn't reload. 300, I wouldn't own one.
The other thing I think is cool is that you can create your own brass from 5.56.....I know you all know that, but that is a big positive in my book.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Also chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Also chicks dig it.
View Quote

+1

I don't know how I forgot that part:)
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm kinda biased toward the 10.5" which is what mine is.  I can guarantee complete powder burn with most powders IN THE BARREL which makes my whisper pickle that much more effective.  Subjective opinion, but side-by-side with an 8.5", it was noticeably quieter.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#21]
As this thread is developing, can I throw in the topic of magazines?

I have found issues with P-Mags (Gen 2 and 3).  The bullets tip forward which leads to failures to feed and they get bound up in the mag as well.  I think that is because they drift forwards as they rise and the tips dig into the front of the mag a bit.

The aluminum old school 556 mags seem to work just fine.  I have ordered some more to see if I got lucky using a friends as I just discovered this.

Anyone have comments on the 300blk specific mags?  I only recently learned they were a  thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have found issues with P-Mags (Gen 2 and 3).  The bullets tip forward which leads to failures to feed and they get bound up in the mag as well.  I think that is because they drift forwards as they rise and the tips dig into the front of the mag a bit.

The aluminum old school 556 mags seem to work just fine.  I have ordered some more to see if I got lucky using a friends as I just discovered this.

Anyone have comments on the 300blk specific mags?  I only recently learned they were a  thing.
View Quote

Lighter weight projectiles (most SuperSonics) tend to work fine in standard 5.56 mags.

Heavier (subsonics) tend to work best in 300 BLK specific magazines.

Due to the design Lancer recommends their 300 BLK magazines for heavier weight projectiles only.

Magpul's 300 BLK design works with either supersonic or subsonic projectile weights.

Before I read this on their website I shot a lot of lighter weight ammo through Lancer 300 mags without a problem, but they do recommend their 5.56 mags for that.

I have no experience with other brands of 300 specific mags.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Regarding magazines, I use the standard Lancer mags.  They work beautifully with the 220-225 grain jacketed HPBT subs that I reload.  The forward-most inner ribs inside the mag sit further forward than the same ribs in USGI mags, for example, so they don't bear against the bullet ogive and cause the rounds to pigeon toe.  I've been so happy with them for subs that I haven't bothering trying any of the Blackout-specific mags.

If you plan to use cast bullets that lack the high BC profile of the HPBT bullets, then it might be worth investing in Blackout-specific mags.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I haven’t tested mine yet-I’m going with Lancers specific .300blk mags for quick and positive ID.  Colored floor plate and “.300 blk” stamped on the mag body help to eliminate caliber confusion.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

While I haven't tested mine yet-I'm going with Lancers specific .300blk mags for quick and positive ID.  Colored floor plate and ".300 blk" stamped on the mag body help to eliminate caliber confusion.
View Quote

I used it as an excuse to add a bunch of MCT Pmags and 300 specific Pmags to my stash. All my old black Pmags are now dedicated to shtf spares.

Using 300 Black specific Pmags for 300 Black ammo.

Tan mags get 5.56 only.

5.56 guns/uppers get tan/FDE accessories as well while .300 guns stay all black.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I run Lancer mags exclusively.

300 BLK specific mags for all 300 BLK. In my experience they eat supers and subs just fine. Never a single issue in 10k rounds so far.

Black mags for 5.56

Clear mags for 458S.

I guess I'll need FDE or something if I ever dive into 277 WLV.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#28]
So for those in commie states, where no cans, sbrs allowed and anything short needs to be added to ccw (major pia)
The caliber is pointless ?
I see 16” bbls with carbine length gas available , fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So for those in commie states, where no cans, sbrs allowed and anything short needs to be added to ccw (major pia)
View Quote

Not pointless. But not realizing the full potential of 300 BLK.

Can you find utility in a pickup without a hitch? Sure. It's still at least as useful as a sedan. But still it doesn't reach it's full potential.

I'm not sure I'd own a 300 BLK without a can as you could get a Grendel or similar and put more energy downrange if you are strictly talking 16"+ unsuppressed. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I see the "full potential" of the 300 Blackout is it's utilization as a modern replacement for the M1 Carbine. to whit: a 16" barrel, 30 caliber (400 FPS faster with 110 grain projectiles), easy man or woman portable, easy to find brass, bullets, and very effective out to 300 yds. plus a bit more.

You can view the 300 Blackout as something else, like an SBR or Pistol with a can and a short barrel.  That's the beauty of the 300 Blackout, it's effective as both a suppressed SBR or as a GP carbine.

One size does not fit all needs.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on the state.
I'm in Illinois.  
No cans allowed
SBR's require MAJOR hoops to jump though (You have to hold a C&R).
The two largest cities (Chicago/Crook County and Aurora) do not allow AR-15 rifles.

.300blk is the best thing since pants with pockets IMO.
I don't get to use a can like the cool kids, but I still benefit from its short barrel ability.    
My 8.5" .300blk smoked my 10.5" 5.56 in terms of having less flash/blast/gas....not scorching the BCG....being 2 inches shorter while delivering more energy from the 110gr I was shooting than the 77gr round I shot from my 10.5" 5.56.    
I've also shot subs during salad days when FMJ subs were as cheap, if not cheaper than FMJ supers.   Nice to be able to hear the action work....recoil is more of a push than a pop.
In IL you don't need a CCW to have a pistol (but we do need FOIDs for everything)...but since I have a CCW, my AR pistols do fall under it.  Easy to tuck a 7.5" .300blk with a LAW folder into a backpack.

One day I might try 300Ham'r if I ever come across a super cheap barrel.

ETA - Unless you are building for a specific reason (certain hunting rules, or super low recoil hunting rifle for a child, bolt action), I would not go with a 16" AR in .300blk.   Out of a 16" barrel.....most other calibers beat .300blk pretty well.   Cut the length of the barrel in half, and it is a different story.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I settled on a daniel defense 10.3 barrel.  Getting everything together including reloading components.  Would have gone 9 but dd has served me well and didnt offer a barrel of my choosing size so went with what i could get.  Going to be a fun journey.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Just ordered a Radical Firearms from AIM Surplus, 10.5in SBA3 pistol. Have been out of it all for a bit, started looking for something new and different than rest of my items.  I intend to do suppressor with it, kind of the main point for me.  Would have waited for my fave pick of components but saw the freaks fly their flags behind Feinstein and figured I'd better get moving.  Trying to figure out how to feed it now...I don't reload yet but seems that might be the way to go, huh?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just ordered a Radical Firearms from AIM Surplus, 10.5in SBA3 pistol. Have been out of it all for a bit, started looking for something new and different than rest of my items.  I intend to do suppressor with it, kind of the main point for me.  Would have waited for my fave pick of components but saw the freaks fly their flags behind Feinstein and figured I'd better get moving.  Trying to figure out how to feed it now...I don't reload yet but seems that might be the way to go, huh?
View Quote

Only way to go. Quieter powders, tuned loads to your barrel length, etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't reload, but have been shooting .300 Blk since it was available.

It's great for those who use suppressors, and it's great for those who are short (or just like short barrels!)

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I have several 300bo both in pistol and carbine length.  I'm a pistol gas system guy now as subs can be tricky in some guns and pistol gas system seems to remove as lease one possible problem.  300bo is a working tool here in NW corner of South Carolina with the wild hog problems and all the farming/pasture land around.  Between me and about a dozen others that do hog predation work we get 200 to 500 hogs a year in a three county area and we're just a small part of the hunting pressure on these hogs.  Everyone I know runs at least one 300bo with a can, we can hunt at night here and it's the most effective suppressed round we've found and still Hollywood quite.  Most times the hogs just drop right where their hit as long as the shooter does his part. With a can 300bo allows for a few more hogs to be taken as well when in a pack.  I've seen as many as five hogs dropped by a couple hunters at one time around a feeder with hushed up 300's.  For day work it's still a great round as long as you keep your expectations of what it can do realistic.  For longer than 2/300 yards other caliber weapons are a better choice. I do reload for all mine but that's because I find my reloads to be more accurate than factory ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I just purchased a Noveske .300 blk barrel assembly lo pro gas block, pistol gas system with 10.5 in length.
I went back and forth between that ^^^and the Q honey badger barrel assembly 7in with adjustable gas block.
But looking at the velocity of supers out of the 7in the trajectory was horrible. So I hope I made the right choice to hunt hogs/whitetail, fingers crossed for out to 200yards with a BDC reticle or possibly red dot+ 3x magnifier.
About to build the rifle out when it get here, got everything but the muzzle device because I’m not sure if the suppressor I’ll use yet, Surefire SPS300 is one possibility
Any advice on suppressors used? I’m buy once cry once type
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I see the "full potential" of the 300 Blackout is it's utilization as a modern replacement for the M1 Carbine.
View Quote

I understand what you are saying, but that isn't saying much

M1 Carbine is about a impotent as impotent can get
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just purchased a Noveske .300 blk barrel assembly lo pro gas block, pistol gas system with 10.5 in length.
I went back and forth between that ^^^and the Q honey badger barrel assembly 7in with adjustable gas block.
But looking at the velocity of supers out of the 7in the trajectory was horrible. So I hope I made the right choice to hunt hogs/whitetail, fingers crossed for out to 200yards with a BDC reticle or possibly red dot+ 3x magnifier.
About to build the rifle out when it get here, got everything but the muzzle device because I'm not sure if the suppressor I'll use yet, Surefire SPS300 is one possibility
Any advice on suppressors used? I'm buy once cry once type
View Quote

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/wolfman/

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying, but that isn't saying much

M1 Carbine is about a impotent as impotent can get
View Quote

I've got an old Underwood M1 carbine if your volunteering to be shot at with this 76 year old "impotent" POS......
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone mess with berrys bullets 220 gr and try to get them to work with normal pmag/metal mags (non BO).  Starting to mess with them myself.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Tagscribed to this thread.
Bought a 30 cal can and decided to dive into 300 BLK.

Got 2 upper. One 7.5" and one 10.5"

Both have Superlative Arms gas blocks.
Bought a variety of ammo try in both.
Got dies.
Now I need projos and powder.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anyone mess with berrys bullets 220 gr and try to get them to work with normal pmag/metal mags (non BO).  Starting to mess with them myself.
View Quote

Never had luck with subs and standard mags.

300 BLK specific mags work great with them. I prefer the Lancers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone use a Squirrel Daddy jig for cutting down 223/5.56?   They list 4 different versions on their site.  

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Cartridge-case-trimmers-s/294.htm

I ordered this one the other day.   https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Speedy-300-Blackout-Case-Trimming-Jig-p/sd24-103.htm

I don't really know what if any significant functional differences they would have vs one another.  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anyone use a Squirrel Daddy jig for cutting down 223/5.56?   They list 4 different versions on their site.  

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Cartridge-case-trimmers-s/294.htm

I ordered this one the other day.   https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Speedy-300-Blackout-Case-Trimming-Jig-p/sd24-103.htm

I don't really know what if any significant functional differences they would have vs one another.  Anybody know?
View Quote

They are all just slightly different designs that achieve the same outcome.

I actually have the same one you do. I've converted about 3k pieces with it. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#47]

What hand guard do you have on the Noveske? It looks better than a mp5-sd
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

8.5” with Sig 7.62 suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#49]
What adjustable gas blocks are you guys preferring? I considered the Seekins low profile, but heard of them failing. The Superlative Arms looked good, but I ended up going with the Seekins Select adjustable one since it seemed the easiest to set and have adjustability without tools.
Also does anyone have a crash course on setting it up? Subsonic and supersonic suppressed and subsonic and supersonic not suppressed? At $2 a round for decent ammo, I'll probably have to load my own from the start.
Do you guys buy converted 300blk out brass or does anyone make better quality 300blk out cases new?
I planned on just buying 8lbs of CFE BLK to keep it simple.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Speedy-300-Blackout-Case-Trimming-Jig-p/sd24-103.htm

Wow! Thats incredible! Thank you for sharing. What kind of table saw is that?? Ive never seen one like that. Where would I find something like that?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top