Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2023 4:47:56 PM EDT
Hey guys
I've been loading almost 30 years and I'm using same 300 blackout with 6 inch barrel . I do use small pistol primers but that's never been an issue.  I don't have a tumbler and I know my brass is very dirty but that wasn't an issue either about a year ago I went to the range daily and also used enforcer and accurate 9 .but in the last few months I'll shoot 20 rounds and the receiver is Coated literally with yellow flakes all over the place and very quickly I'll Start having cycle issues . I Have a crappy Anderson 7.5 inch barrel that will pretty much seize after 20 rounds also but that's because the idiots cut the gas port wrong and it's shaving an insane amount of copper off the bullet and I donf know how to fix that either but my 6 inch barrel is fantastic always has been I'm using  a dfa short buffer setup
So to summarize
I'm using the same brand of powder
Same bullets usually 110gr vmax
Same exact pistol except the new bolt carrier and bolt from dfa which is nitride coated and does have very tight tolerances
And Some new some old brass using Lee data and none of these things have ever caused this issue
Why would after only 20 rounds would I have a horribly filthy receiver.  If I was to need this for any type of serious duty etc 60 rounds in max and it would no longer even be useful
I appreciate you guys and all the knowledge of yall thank youhttps://imageshack.com/i/pmLG4oSJj
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I use W296 for supersonic loads and had much unburned powder fouling until I switched to magnum primers. I use IMR 4227 and standard primers for subs and fouling is not a problem.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much.  I almost had a lightbulb moment because that makes perfect sense and i did dumbly buy standard primers but all I've been using is magnum pistol then and now and no issue then but suddenly issue now its really strange. It's almost like ram shot decided to make their powder horribly filthy and add a filler all the sudden but I know they didn't as far as I know.  Same issue with Lil gun too..I'm really perplexed as to why this is happening . Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You're gonna pierce/extrude/blank primers shooting supers in 300BLK if you use any flavor of PISTOL primers.

Even standard small RIFLE primers are unsuitable for full-pressure supers.

If pressure is over 55,000 PSI, you absolutely need to be using the thickest primer you can find.

I highly recommend CCI 450 (magnum small rifle) for any sort of supers in the 300BLK. At least that way, if you have issues, you will know it isn't the primer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't have a tumbler, you can wash your brass in ordinary liquid dishwashing detergent, and a scrub-brush.
Sturdy rubber gloves and really hot water will make it easier.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you very much. It is what makes the most sense. I'm getting well over 2000 fps with 110s so they're screaming outta there definitely thinking the pressure is up there . Any thing else you can think of ? That really makes sense thank you ! Anyone you recommend for em? I usually use midway my sportsmans never has em
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you ! Jeez tumblers are expensive nowadays yall rock thank you
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've experienced everything you have in my decade of reloading 300 BLK.

First, get the barrel issue solved. Shaving jackets can actually cause lead and cooper fouling in the upper as the hot glasses can melt small slivers if there is enough nitro content in the powder. I have first hand experience with this, LilGun especially is bad for this.

Next, get the heaviest buffer you can find. Everyone loves these short barrels and wants 100% bolt hold open etc and chases quietness and thus almost always go with lighter weight buffers. Get an H3 buffer and try that and also get an adjustable gas block if running subs and supers if you must, but don't jump to that conclusion just yet.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're gonna pierce/extrude/blank primers shooting supers in 300BLK if you use any flavor of PISTOL primers.

Even standard small RIFLE primers are unsuitable for full-pressure supers.

If pressure is over 55,000 PSI, you absolutely need to be using the thickest primer you can find.

I highly recommend CCI 450 (magnum small rifle) for any sort of supers in the 300BLK. At least that way, if you have issues, you will know it isn't the primer.
View Quote

I don't know what kind of axe you have to grind against CCI 400s but I've literally shot 60k of them full pressure over the last decade with many thousands at full 5.56 pressures and have never once pierced a primer. Not a single time.

That said there shouldn't be an issue using 450s of course but why all the shade on 400s?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I completely agree I really appreciate everyone trying to help but yes same here ..I don't think thats the issue for me. I was using the cci 550 I believe last year every day and I NEVER had this fouling.  As a matter of fact my ar was so reliable I stopped thinking that ars being unreliable was a thing it ran for thousands of rounds on those.  I used enforcer then too but mainly accurate 9. So something else Is amiss here... I might have opened the gas port some since then but I cannot recall
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know what kind of axe you have to grind against CCI 400s but I've literally shot 60k of them full pressure over the last decade with many thousands at full 5.56 pressures and have never once pierced a primer. Not a single time.

That said there shouldn't be an issue using 450s of course but why all the shade on 400s?
View Quote

No axe.

Just evidence.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I really don't want to derail my own thread I'm really hoping yall can help and appreciate yall yeah I even ran wolf pistol primers over two thousand and never this issue for  my 300 also . To each their own so I'm thinking it's not the primers if not then what gives? I'm really at a loss here thanks again
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#12]
CCI 450 primers are widely available now.

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers/CCI?ikw=450

And someone will tell us how they used to buy them for 3 cents.

That's not what anything costs now. And not likely to cost ever in the future.

Ammunition is expensive.

Quality ammunition is not that much more expensive.

Be careful of some of the vendors that list product for cheap, but then gouge incredibly for shipping. Check those shipping charges before you enter your credit card.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh wow..the ONLY thing I have changed besides maybe small gas port enlargement is the DFA short buffer I'm using ! They chop almost the entire back of the bolt off WAY lighter bcg..so it is absolutely possible that I am having the BCG open early?... that actually makes perfect sense!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]
And please if you have any ideas do tell what Can I do to cause that horrible gas port from Anderson to stop shaving my bullets ?? Should I open it up just a tad so that dang horrible burr goes away? Thanks again so far I'm leaning hard on your answer unlocking a tad early so powder is not burning all the way!!! This Is really ironic because i DID notice this issue the most after using the DFA short setup !!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Isn't that the sad truth ..omg I remember primers 3 dollars a box just about 3 years ago ..sigh.. but I will try the primers but I'm leaning hard on early but safe unlock! I actually DID change something and that's running with a puny spring and a bolt carrier with a 1/3 the weight from dead foot arms  its an awesome set-up but this is the most likely culprit !!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
It's very possible you opening the gas port is causing the shaving issue. Not to say factory barrels don't do it but their machining skills and equipment are usually better than ours.

Look through it and see if you can see anything. Chances are though a new barrel is a better solution. V7 if you want a really short one. Seekins if you're good with 8". I have 20k trouble free rounds through mine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I run a standard weight carbine buffer, and a standard carbine spring in my 300BLK.

The barrel is whatever Palmetto puts on their 8.5" upper.

I have not had any reason to remove the gas block and measure the port. It works fine with supers and subs down to about 850 fps.

FWIW, the SAAMI spec on 300BLK is 55,000 PSI - which is the same as .223 Remington --- but not the same as 5.56 NATO

5.56 NATO pressure spec is 62,000 PSI.

While 300BLK semi-auto guns will function fine at at 5.56 pressures, provided that you run proper springs, buffers and ports (whatever that may be for you!), it is of some passing interest to know that the reason SAAMI went with the lower pressure for their charts is because the Army requested it. The Army was running supers in FULL-AUTO guns (presumably short barrels). Ammo at pressures over 55,000 PSI was causing full-auto cycling problems. The guns only ran reliably with lower-pressure ammo.

I'm repeating this pressure-info from sources that sounded very credible in the context where I read them. I found the sources by searching the Internet. If someone knows otherwise, I'm happy to hear more information.

If I were troubleshooting a 300BLK, the first thing I would do is install a standard bolt/carrier, a standard carbine buffer (3.0 ounces), and a standard buffer spring. Shoot it in that configuration. If it seems over/under -gassed, install an adjustable gas block. Adjust as needed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Obsessed yall are awesome and great input from everyone.  What I've learned in not just reloading but life is cause and effect .having the original barrel and same powder and same brass almost and the ONLY thing I've truly changed is the short chopped BCG with a small spring behind it..I noticed right away the fouling was awful and I'm not an expert on unburnt residue but even a lay man can see yellow unburnt blobs of powder..and this DID start with this short setup since I use it 99 percent of the time! I think you nailed it ! So without weight and a much smaller spring in there do you think its unlocking before full burn? Is that even possible ? Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have a buggered barrel, there isn't a lot that makes any sense that will un-bugger it.

I'm not here to tell anybody how to not be poor. Barrels cost money. But if you have a buggered barrel, its kind of like having a leaking radiator. Its not gonna get better by continuing to drive it.

$80 for a new 8.5" barrel
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Spot on sir. I think I am coming to the conclusion that It is unlocking early with my super light spring bolt combo and powder isn't burning fully ! Is that even possible?..
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you sir sorry i meant to say the Anderson is a factory pos I've never touched it. It has been over 200 rounds and its only gotten worse . And this us using the standard bcg and buffer. I know when I did drill the port on my 6 inch it was bad for maybe 60 rounds and then all the shaving stopped . The Anderson has only gotten  worse..would you try to return it drill it or just buy a new barrel ? I'm really disappointed by it
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't even get it with the weirdo bolt carrier and chopped spring.

What is that even supposed to accomplish?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Haha lol I think you nailed it sir! I am definitely not rich lol but I work full time .I'll grab one of these I think you are spot on haha! I really appreciate it !
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#26]
It is a 9.5 inch buffer less reciever basically..or a 2.5 inch buffer. Runs flawless except for the fouling which Is definitely an issue . For me I'm in Bear country and  I kid you not it rides in a iwb holster when I hike remotely.  I've tried large bore revolvers I couldn't control and 20 on tap for a bruin Is just what the doctor ordered vs 6 misses with a 454. I kid you not it's basically a large bore revolver in size and weight
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey just wanted to say I appreciate all of you coming through in a pinch like this. This is a great forum and this is fun ! Talking with fellows who have the same passion.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't see nada but I don't have a bore scope . Sucks to trash a barrel unless I have to
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone else? Again I really appreciate all the great posts I've gotten so far I'm gonna run maybe 100 down the good barrel With a standard carbine buffer and standard bcg and see if that helps it Stay locked long enough to fully burn the powder if that's really what's happening.  Thanks again looking forward to more input also!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Anybody got an answer for if a lightweight carrier and spring can cause all this fouling? I thought unlock is only controlled by the rotation of the bolt after the gas hits it I'd really like to know thanks again your knowledge is highly appreciated! Worse comes to worse I guess I can clean her real good and slap the good barrel on my standard carbine lower with heavy spring and All and see if the fouling goes away . There isn't a doubt in my mind it cycles way harder with the way less mass of the chopped bcg from DFA but unlocking earlier idk how that's possible?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]
My vote is the pistol primers you said you recently started using as the mostly likely explanation for poor ignition of powder.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks partner possibly yeah. I still can't get an answer anywhere If less mass causes early unlock .I thought I knew guns but i really can't figure out if that's an issue too...
I know it won't unlock until it gets gas and bullet Is out of the barrel by then so I'd think only extra wear.  Otherwise it would be very unsafe to unlock early weak spring or less mass or not
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#33]
There is some amount of air being pushed IN FRONT OF the bullet.

That air in front of the bullet may get pushed into the gas port before the bullet reaches the port.

If you have some peculiar "lightweight" bolt/carrier assembly, that amount of air might be enough to initiate unlock of that unquique apparatus before the bullet departs the barrel.

I'm no fan of unique bolt/carrier designs in the AR. You might solve the mystery - but I suggest that the problem isn't solved until you replace the unique apparatus with a standard bolt/carrier assembly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks partner .no fan either ..why didn't they stick to the brn 180? All its got left for me is incredible light weight and insane accuracy. This is what's eerie.it brings up dejavu of doing this before man I would do anything to figure out what the issue was then. I'll definitely say the standard buffer or any carbine ar I've never even imagined experiencing this.either way barfing in its own mouth just sucks. The bcg I got from there literally has millimiters of tolerance for any sort of build up how can you trust that to work .I guess there's always the jackal or something just love the accuracy and weight it's basically a hi cap revolver but I carry it for dangerous game defense it has to go bang first and foremost
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey guys you all nailed it in a way! The bcg for the 2.5" buffer setup is nitride coated and even sqeaky clean barely reciprocates the bolt within the bcg (extremely tight tolerances). A normal bcg feels like it rattles in comparison so when even a tiny bit of power builds up on the back of the bolt it has no room to turn . Has Anyone ever Had this strange problem? What would be the solution it won't just break in its been hundreds of rounds Is there a way to sand the parts down or another way to make the parts break In quicker ? Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#36]
You should never have to “sand down” any part of the bolt, or barrel-extension lugs on an AR15.

If you have unnatural resistance cycling into battery, you have an out of spec. part. I would identify the faulty part and replace it with a standard-specification, first-quality part. Get rid of the oddball parts unless the sole purpose of the gun is experimentation for the sake of experimentation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Thank you excellent answer
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#38]
WEG you sir just wanted to point out know your stuff ..I can't believe I've been at this 20 plus years and I guess because I've had so many issues due to reloads being the culprit never thought it could be the gun... unburnt powder flakes no flakes I'm loading a bit hotter now they are gone..sadly the manufacturer did NOT do their job. They are amazing folks and if you want match grade these parts will get you there but here Is what happened..
I bought a new bolt   80 rounds in NO cleaning lots of rapid fire and guess what ? The bolt closes like it was brand spanking new and clean...
  You sir really know your stuff. The new bolt wiggles like it's supposed to. In my humble experience loose tolerances Is The SOLE reason you get reliability on a otherwise well built gun...
. Just wanted to give a special thanks to WEG. And all of you guys Yeah I was starting to think really has the united States military been running around all over the world with a gun that Jams after 60 rounds since the 60s? LMAO I didn't think so ...
PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS TO AR15.COM !!!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top