User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Is anyone shooting the Lehigh 110 controlled chaos projos?

Are they pretty decent?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are they pretty decent?
View Quote

They are one do the most accurate bullets we load and devastating on impact
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they pretty decent?

Awesome thanks.

Looks like I waited too long, I'll order some when they come back in stock.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Haven't played with the HAM'R yet, but have a lot of experience with blackout and 277 wolverine. Seeing the powders used between the 3 are consistent has anyone tried Shooters World Blackout?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I tried it at the beginning of load development.  It is almost a copy of the 1680 and works well. Even though I got better velocity with the CFE-BLK, in these times you use what you can get.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been interested in getting a 300Ham'r but a couple of the main things stopping me is that they are keeping it proprietary & I already had 2 300BLK guns & the dies to reload for 300BLK.  I now also have a jig to cut down my 223/5.56 brass to keep the costs down by avoiding buying new brass and/or factory loaded ammo.  Does anyone make similar stuff for the 300Ham'r & is there any chance of them making the round non proprietary which I think would help increase its popularity not to mention helping prices go down, or at least it would if things ever get back to something resembling normal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been interested in getting a 300Ham'r but a couple of the main things stopping me is that they are keeping it proprietary & I already had 2 300BLK guns & the dies to reload for 300BLK.  I now also have a jig to cut down my 223/5.56 brass to keep the costs down by avoiding buying new brass and/or factory loaded ammo.  Does anyone make similar stuff for the 300Ham'r & is there any chance of them making the round non proprietary which I think would help increase its popularity not to mention helping prices go down, or at least it would if things ever get back to something resembling normal.
View Quote

What are they keeping proprietary?  RCBS makes dies and McGowen and other custom barrelers can provide barrels.  It would be nice if one could get a nitride barrel in the same price range as BA or Rosco.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

For what it is worth, the Wilson Combat has never made anything about the 300 HAM'R proprietary.  In fact, I do believe that part of the SAAMI approval opens up the round to public use and production.

If anything, most firearm and ammunition companies have not been able to keep up with demand for their products for the past year, and that has slowed them from bringing out anything new.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing about the 300 HAM'R has ever been proprietary, it has been "open source" from day one and all SAAMI accepted cartridges are open for anyone to mfg components and/or ammunition to the SAAMI spec.. As Greycard noted, the unprecedented product demand in the industry has slowed the acceptance of the cartridge due to the fact everyone in the industry is just trying to fill massive backorders.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Haven't played with the HAM'R yet, but have a lot of experience with blackout and 277 wolverine. Seeing the powders used between the 3 are consistent has anyone tried Shooters World Blackout?
View Quote

The SWB is a great alternative to AA1680, similar velocities to AA1680 with less powder and is more cost effective...works
well with 223/556 based parent brass cartridges like 6x45, 6.5 MPC, 6.5 PCC, .277 WLV, 300 BLK, 300 HMR. Also meters
well like AA1680.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally getting around to testing loads and the gun more. Very impressive 1 hole 5 shot groups at 50yards.  

Smacks steel like a Hamr

Suppresses well for a super sonic and the barrel is ported well for it.

I really like this round.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#12]
@Bill Wilson

Trying to order a custom barrel for 300 HAM'R. The slowest twist they offer is 1-12. I'm going to use a length of around 14.5 with a permanantly pinned muzzle to bring the length up to 16.1. Will a 1-12 twist not be as accurate as it should be out of the shorter barrel? It's a 6 groove btw.

Also, what gas length for 300 HAM'R and a barrel that length?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Bill Wilson

Trying to order a custom barrel for 300 HAM'R. The slowest twist they offer is 1-12. I'm going to use a length of around 14.5 with a permanantly pinned muzzle to bring the length up to 16.1. Will a 1-12 twist not be as accurate as it should be out of the shorter barrel? It's a 6 groove btw.

Also, what gas length for 300 HAM'R and a barrel that length?

Thanks.
View Quote

A 1-12 twist should shoot well, I prefer 1-13 for 130-150gr and 1-15 for 95-130gr though. 14.5" or longer would be mid-gas

What brand barrel are you looking at?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I was looking at McGowen's custom barrels. They seem to be the only folks who offer custom AR-15 barrels chambered in 300 HAM'R. But gee, I sure wish they had 1-15. Thanks for your input, I'll go with midlength and I hope it's not too drastically inaccurate with 1-12.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not go with a 16" Wilson barrel with the proper twist and have it chopped and threaded to 14.5".
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Good Idea, I'll look into it. Probably be cheaper too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was looking at McGowen's custom barrels. They seem to be the only folks who offer custom AR-15 barrels chambered in 300 HAM'R. But gee, I sure wish they had 1-15. Thanks for your input, I'll go with midlength and I hope it's not too drastically inaccurate with 1-12.
View Quote

It will be fine.  Better to err on the side of a faster twist than slower.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the first cartridge I have ever messed with that I haven't found a single inaccurate load with yet.

My load development is almost boring, it's too easy!

I am sure the quality of the barrel has a bit to do with it. B Wilson and crew seem to have figured out how to make an accurate barrel..
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Help me out…

I just had assembled an 8” barrel (pistol gas length), with a CMMG CQB Ripbrace. Oiled it up to test fire and the bolt only comes back halfway, failing to eject. Manually clearing the spent case then is difficult. The spent case seems to get hung up in the chamber. Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Help me out…

I just had assembled an 8” barrel (pistol gas length), with a CMMG CQB Ripbrace. Oiled it up to test fire and the bolt only comes back halfway, failing to eject. Manually clearing the spent case then is difficult. The spent case seems to get hung up in the chamber. Thoughts? Thanks in advance
View Quote

So you are able to charge the weapon from the magazine?  The bolt travel issue happens only upon firing?  The bolt moves completely rearward when using the charging handle?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea, can charge it from the magazine no problem. I’m not sure if the CQB tube, spring and buffer is playing a role but the difficulty charging to clear the spent case has me a bit concerned.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I tend to use adjustable gas blocks, so I can tune them with the suppressors.  When adjusting the gas block on a new build, I've noticed the spent case can be a little tight.  Once I get the gas block set right, they work fine.  With a fixed gas block and standard buffer and spring, I haven't had any ejection issues.  My point being, I wouldn't worry about the spent case being a little tight.  I suspect it's something about the shorter buffer tube, buffer, and spring you're using.  I've always used carbine length buffer tubes with the 3.25" buffer.  You may need to experiment with your buffer and spring to get it working with that combination.  You might try a standard spring, and clip it if it is too long, or see if you can remove some weight from the buffer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yea, can charge it from the magazine no problem. I’m not sure if the CQB tube, spring and buffer is playing a role but the difficulty charging to clear the spent case has me a bit concerned.
View Quote

Short stroking is usually an issue of mass or gas, too much of the former and/or too little of the latter.  What weight buffer?
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s 3.39 ounces.

I have another stamped carbine lower I can toss the upper on and see if it functions properly but it’ll be a few days till I can do that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
So I put the upper on a carbine lower and it would eject the spent case but not lock back on an empty magazine. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#26]
What ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So I put the upper on a carbine lower and it would eject the spent case but not lock back on an empty magazine. Any suggestions?
View Quote

Below are a few standard verifications I would do, that you have probably already done:
1. If you had the barrel painted/coated, make sure the gas port is clear.
2. Pull the gas block set screw closest to the receiver out, and make sure the hole is centered on the dimple in the barrel.
3. Make sure the BCG is in good working order (I assume your using a regular mil-spec BCG).
4. Make sure the BCG moves freely in the receiver, and lines up well with the gas tube.
5. Make sure the lower you are using has a 3 oz. buffer and standard buffer spring.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#28]
The barrel was coated but not where the gas block goes. All new parts on this build and it all looks in good order. Was shooting 130gr HP. Put back on the CMMG ripbrace (shorter tube, weight and spring) with a lightweight BCG this time, lubed it all up and it cycled like a dream. Figured it might be mass rather than gas. Thanks for help
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The barrel was coated but not where the gas block goes. All new parts on this build and it all looks in good order. Was shooting 130gr HP. Put back on the CMMG ripbrace (shorter tube, weight and spring) with a lightweight BCG this time, lubed it all up and it cycled like a dream. Figured it might be mass rather than gas. Thanks for help
View Quote

I'm glad you got it working.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Fits in a backpack quite nicely

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
has anybody chrono'd their 11" barrel yet? I'm trying to find something that will outperform blackout in an SBR package for pigs, and I've been looking hard at the hammer, but I cannot find numbers for it in a short barrel. I can find plenty of data showing ~300fps more than blackout out of a 16" barrel, but nothing about shorties. I'm currently getting almost 2000 fps out of an 8" blackout, but I'm having to use the stupid expensive barnes tac-tx pullets to get expansion out past 60 yards or so. (I suppose my other option would be to go with a short grendel barrel. I'm already loading for it in a 16" gun. but where's the fun in that?)
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Hopefully this link takes you there. Scroll up for more 8" info, I don't remember if there is more data for short barrels later on. https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/300-HAM-R/121-745531/#i7988975

IIRC you can expect to push a 125gr bullet to about the same speed 300 will push the 110s out of the shorter barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
has anybody chrono'd their 11" barrel yet? I'm trying to find something that will outperform blackout in an SBR package for pigs, and I've been looking hard at the hammer, but I cannot find numbers for it in a short barrel. I can find plenty of data showing ~300fps more than blackout out of a 16" barrel, but nothing about shorties. I'm currently getting almost 2000 fps out of an 8" blackout, but I'm having to use the stupid expensive barnes tac-tx pullets to get expansion out past 60 yards or so. (I suppose my other option would be to go with a short grendel barrel. I'm already loading for it in a 16" gun. but where's the fun in that?)
View Quote

I've chrono'd the 11.3" 300 HAM'R barrel, using Wilson Combat Ammunition, at an average of 2348 fps with 130 gr HC, and 2457 fps with 110 gr SP.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've chrono'd the 11.3" 300 HAM'R barrel, using Wilson Combat Ammunition, at an average of 2348 fps with 130 gr HC, and 2457 fps with 110 gr SP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This roughly mirrors my experience with my 11.3, I am getting right at 2300 fps with a different 130 gr bullet and probably have room to go a little higher.

ES and SD are in single digits. Accuracy is very good. I'm happy.

To get very scientific, it most definitely thumps harder than the blackout.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wilson Combat has several YouTube videos about the 300 Ham’R but I don’t recall any with shorter than 16” barrels.  As much as they worked with it, I’m sure they have some data if you call them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wilson Combat has several YouTube videos about the 300 Ham’R but I don’t recall any with shorter than 16” barrels.  As much as they worked with it, I’m sure they have some data if you call them.
View Quote

I have called them. 2x. Both guys I spoke to have hammers, one the shorty. Neither one had any numbers for me. They did say the hammer is their #2 selling caliber behind 223.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like the 11.3" barrels are on sale right now. Better jump on one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks like the 11.3" barrels are on sale right now. Better jump on one.
View Quote

there's always another sale.
I've been looking at some ballistics (that I can find) between the hammer and a short grendel. looks like an 11.3" hammer pushes a 110 grn bullet 2450 fps. a 12" grendel does 2350. Or I could use the 90grn tnt and get 2650 fps. I'm already set up to reload the grendel. I may wind up going that route instead of the hammer. It would save me having to buy and store dies, hard to find bullets and powder, a harbor freight cut off saw, and a case trimmer. That's a lot of equipment for an extra 100 +/- 100 fps at the muzzle that drops off faster. I'm not sold either way yet though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top