Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2020 10:59:37 PM EDT
Hi folks!  Long time moron, first time poster.  I have several rifles, mostly frankenguns, and they all run pretty darn well despite my best efforts.  But I do have a new issue that I haven't seen before, and about which I haven't been able to scare up any relevant search results, so I offer it to you for insight.  

300 BLK pistol ran fine for a few years and under 1000 rounds until I improved it.  

(all components were bought new)
New Frontier LW-15 lower
CMMG LPK with crappy trigger.
Spikes Tactical BCG
7" upper bought from these guys:
https://echogunshow.online
Always using first run 200+ grain subsonic ammo from either Hornady or Minuteman Munitions.  
Magazines are brand new Magpul and Lancer mags.  

Because I am a supra-genius, I decided to upgrade this range toy with an H2 buffer and a Timney trigger.

Now, once every 20 rounds or so with the H2, it will fire and eject properly, strip the next round from the magazine and go far enough into battery to let the trigger release - but I get just a click, no bang.  Charging handle won't move, BCG is hung up, live round is somewhere in or near the chamber.

Gentle "mortar" drill releases the BCG and pops out a fresh round.  

Upon inspection, I see lots of brass flakes in the action, chamber, and on the bolt. This is from just 80 ish rounds after a good cleaning.  But I can't see any significant destruction of the spent cases.  There is some primer cratering, but I don't think that's related.  After clearing the jam, gun runs fine again for the next 20 ish rounds or so, then hangs up again.

So: do I have an ammo problem or a gun problem?  What would you change or check next?  Any input appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have extractor problems that are causing a mess with all the shaved brass,
View Quote

OK thanks!  Very interesting.  I wouldn't have immediately considered a problem with a brand new Spikes BCG.  I'll first test by swapping BCGs then file things down as you indicate.  Will report back after next range trip soon.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've finally managed to get to the range, so I'll update with further information.  Also as I am a complete arftard I have helpfully neglected to take any photos after cleaning the gun, and I've done nothing with the feed ramps.  I did however swap in a completely different BCG from another perfectly working gun, and I got the exact same problem!  Even with a known good BCG, after about 10 rounds, it starts locking up again, with visible brass bits all throughout the action.  

Should I focus on the feed ramps then?  Or could I possibly have a chamber issue?  

Incidentally, I *did* remove the extractor from the original bolt, file down the teeth a little, and put the whole thing back in my nice 5.56 BCM upper, and it ran great.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps only me. The OP's pics aren't visible. Other pics are visible.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also, need to talk about cleaning solvents you are sing, what lube you are using to lube the upper receiver bearing area's, and even the loads, since for the two and few shots, that's a lot of fouling in the chamber that is not brass flakes as well.
Hence 300blk in sub sonic with suppressor is going to have a lot of blow back, but with the correct powder and use of CLP to lube the upper, should not be leaving that thick of a fouling clumps in the chamber, even on a short barrel pistol.

http://availabledark.com/images/arf008.jpg
View Quote

Dano, he said he swapped the bcg from a good functioning gun and still had the issues. Could it be too much pressure that the brass is not rotating in the chamber until the claw has already chipped off more of the rim and then the lugs clear and pull it out? That’s what it sounds like to me with the info provided since he swapped the bcg and it didn’t help.

OP - Let us know if you fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]
What you did not mention....  how big did you open the gas port?  Looks like your ripping cases out before they are ready to extract.  That will shred your cases quick.

May want to consider an adjustable gas block, tune it down till it won't lock back, then open it up a full turn for reliability.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top