Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2018 9:35:39 PM EDT
I’m looking at my next build being a 22LR, but I’m torn between two barrel brands. I would like your opinions on JP vs Beyer barrels for accuracy, weight, and value. I know JP Super match kit is $500. Thank you
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
CMMG 20 inch barrel is $160......
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m looking for accuracy. Is the CMMG barrel accurate?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
To determine that, you will have to define accurate.

I have ordered a Compass Lake .22LR kit and should be ready by xmas.  It is a SPR 18" Douglas barrel threaded and capped.  Comes with bolt and two 10 rd internal mags / pushed into a regular AR mag.  Also, works with BDM's.  Cost $625 plus shipping.

And yes, the CLE kit should be accurate
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Recently built a dedicated 22lr AR, and used CMMG  20" Gov't. Profile barrel with the front sight
I was surprised it was pretty accurate, ammo used on all 3 targets were AE 38hr plated HP/plinking rounds.
15 shot ea.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Recently built a dedicated 22lr AR, and used CMMG  20" Gov't. Profile barrel with the front sight
I was surprised it was pretty accurate, ammo used on all 3 targets were AE 38hr plated HP/plinking rounds.
15 shot ea.
View Quote
It's fair of you to note that the AE 38hr plated HP is a plinking round.  It gives good function in guns that don't like weak ammunition.  I don't have any rifle in which that round groups well though.  With a reliable standard velocity round, I bet that upper would shoot 100 yard groups that look like your 25 yard group.

I don't have the 20 inch government profile, but I do have the 16.1 inch heavy taper and the M4 profile, both free floated.  I found the least destructive of accuracy is a thread protector.  If I had room in the safe, I'd build an upper with a long and cheap free float tube, that 20" government barrel and a clamp-on front sight all the way out at the end of the barrel.  It wouldn't be a CLE, but I bet it would stay under 2 inches at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m going to be using the 22LR upper for hunting. So to define accuracy MOSH minute of squirrel head.  So I’m looking for head shots on squirrels.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m going to be using the 22LR upper for hunting. So to define accuracy MOSH minute of squirrel head.  So I’m looking for head shots on squirrels.
View Quote
Both barrels in your original post will do that.  I looked at stainless barrels initially, but later I narrowed my options to nitride treated barrels.  The heavy taper 16 inch barrels will keep five rounds of Aguila SV under 1.5 inches at 100 yards if there is no wind.

Do you hunt with a scope or do you use iron sights?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Both barrels in your original post will do that.  I looked at stainless barrels initially, but later I narrowed my options to nitride treated barrels.  The heavy taper 16 inch barrels will keep five rounds of Aguila SV under 1.5 inches at 100 yards if there is no wind.

Do you hunt with a scope or do you use iron sights?
View Quote
I use a scope
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Forget to mention...my targets were shot with A1 type iron sights.

I just received shipment of wolf ultra match ammo, but I need to get a rail to mount
On top of fixed carry handle to mount a scope.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I just did a 22lr JP build.  I love it.  There should be a post somewhere about it.

I will say, once I got the right scope rings it made shooting it MUCH better.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#11]
OP -

I have had and sold 2-3 different brands of uppers over the years and here is my take on my next build which like you will be for hunting (sage rats instead of tree squirrels).

Beyer barrel and CMMG bcg

Or

Kriss vector DMK-22 rifle and pull the 10-22 barrel and drop in a Kidd ULW barrel....... no one has done this yet so it’s a gamble to see if it works.

But from my experience kidd barrels shoot.   I haven’t had a Beyer barrel yet but I haven’t read a bad review about one of his barrels yet.

If you do build one please post results
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
What charging handle do y’all use for your 22 builds also?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What charging handle do y’all use for your 22 builds also?
View Quote
I like an ambidextrous one.  The throw is so short on a 22lr bolt that one can charge with the right hand while in position.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I know CMMG has one, and someone has one for S&W M&P 22. I would like a charging handle that don’t look cheap.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the CMMG anti-jam handle. I've had jams from using a ambi CH made for a .223 as the little .22 round somehow gets caught in the groove of the handle and jams the rifle.
In the future I will get a milspec handle and practise filling it with epoxy to give it a similar profile to the anti-jam, before trying it on an expensive BCM, Next level Armament or Raptor.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use the CMMG anti-jam handle. I've had jams from using a ambi CH made for a .223 as the little .22 round somehow gets caught in the groove of the handle and jams the rifle.
In the future I will get a milspec handle and practise filling it with epoxy to give it a similar profile to the anti-jam, before trying it on an expensive BCM, Next level Armament or Raptor.
View Quote
I read about these jams before I entered AR-22 world.  I was expecting to have to fill my standard CH with something to prevent these, but it never happened even once over the last 10,000 rounds.  This is with a CMMG 22BA487 BCG and using S&W magazines.

If I'd had to fill that void, I think I would have used wood glue or elmer's and a bit of chopstick so it would be easy to remove later without damaging the CH.  The other option is to find the cheapest CH you can and see if it caused any problems.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm using cmmg 22arc charging handle, designed specifically as stated above.
Made out of durable glass filled nylon.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#18]
On My first 22 build, I used a standard charge handle and had a few casings get stuck in the groove. I filled it with JB weld. That upper got sent back to PSA for accuracy problems, so on my second upper, I bought the CMMG "plastic" CH. at first Imwas disappointed that it wasnt metal and looked at the ads and saw no mention of build material. I also dont like the way if I ride the CH, it stops when the latch hook hits the upper reciever. I need to push it forward pretty hard to get it past the tight spot. I need to do a little filing and polishingbto fix it. I ended up doing a rattle can camo paint job on it and the CH looks ok for a plain Jane part, IMO. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Second pic is where it stops when riding the CH.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My cmmg kit included their charging handle, which I never had an issue with charging  the rifle.  It is very light and made out of
Durable glass filled Nyylon...as mentioned on their website.  Here's a picture next to a metal m4 charging handle.

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 18" Beyer's barrel (bull), stainless CMMG bolt, Raptor CH, Better-Mag adapter and S&W 15/22 mags.

It runs flawlessly and is very accurate
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyine here have experience with PSA's nitrided 16" 22 barrel/bolt? It is out of stock now, so I wonder about what the price runs? Is that a cmmg bolt?

PSA 16" nitrided .22LR barrel/bolt
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does anyine here have experience with PSA's nitrided 16" 22 barrel/bolt? It is out of stock now, so I wonder about what the price runs? Is that a cmmg bolt?

PSA 16" nitrided .22LR barrel/bolt
View Quote
I looked at that when it was in stock for $200.  The barrel in the picture looks exactly like a CMMG wasp barrel I have.

Vascar has speculated that the bolts are old CMMG stock that use a roll pin to retain the firing pin.  Someone here or at RFC had a bolt with the retaining pin hole drilled too low so there was cracking in part of the bolt.  IIRC, PSA accepted the return.  If memory serves, an entire upper based on these components was $300 when it was in stock.  I marveled at these prices when PSA first ran these ads; I couldn't come close to building an upper for what they were charging.  Given subsequent reviews, I think I am better served by the newer CMMG bolts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I looked at that when it was in stock for $200.  The barrel in the picture looks exactly like a CMMG wasp barrel I have.

Vascar has speculated that the bolts are old CMMG stock that use a roll pin to retain the firing pin.  Someone here or at RFC had a bolt with the retaining pin hole drilled too low so there was cracking in part of the bolt.  IIRC, PSA accepted the return.  If memory serves, an entire upper based on these components was $300 when it was in stock.  I marveled at these prices when PSA first ran these ads; I couldn't come close to building an upper for what they were charging.  Given subsequent reviews, I think I am better served by the newer CMMG bolts.
View Quote
Thanks fir the heads up
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
So do you think the CMMG barrel will produce the precision I’m looking for to shoot squirrels in the head at all different ranges?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So do you think the CMMG barrel will produce the precision I’m looking for to shoot squirrels in the head at all different ranges?
View Quote
The 16.1 inch heavy taper?  I have two that print five shot groups under 1.5 inches at the hundred with Aguila SV and subsonic.
The 16.1 inch M4 profile?  I haven't tested mine past 50 yards with most of that at 25 yards standing or sitting.  I have some groups that look like 9mm holes, but 25 yards isn't much of a test.  That could equate to 2.5 or 3 inches at the 100.
The 20 inch government profile?  I've never shot one.  I think with free floating and the correctly weighted muzzle device, it would be a fascinating experiment.

I test from a bench, but I don't practice that way, so ultimate accuracy isn't as important to me as durability and accuracy over the longer term.  I assume that the JP and Beyer products would give better accuracy simply because they do command a premium.

PS -Did you get my IM a few days ago?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Soon I'll be heading out to try out my set up with a scope,  will post results
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The 16.1 inch heavy taper?  I have two that print five shot groups under 1.5 inches at the hundred with Aguila SV and subsonic.
The 16.1 inch M4 profile?  I haven't tested mine past 50 yards with most of that at 25 yards standing or sitting.  I have some groups that look like 9mm holes, but 25 yards isn't much of a test.  That could equate to 2.5 or 3 inches at the 100.
The 20 inch government profile?  I've never shot one.  I think with free floating and the correctly weighted muzzle device, it would be a fascinating experiment.

I test from a bench, but I don't practice that way, so ultimate accuracy isn't as important to me as durability and accuracy over the longer term.  I assume that the JP and Beyer products would give better accuracy simply because they do command a premium.

PS -Did you get my IM a few days ago?
View Quote
No I didn’t get your IM.

Also I have read where people are saying 1/2 MOA at 50yards with a Beyer barrels.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Jut got back from the range, but by far this was not meant to be a precision type 22lr.  I built it for a retro type plinker.
From my upper n lower having significant...play to a cheap cheap picatiny rail that had significant play side to side, I had to add aluminum shims to get it snug. Mil spec trigger, To a non free float handguard...just trying to find excuses for for my groups, ha

At 25 yards

50y
Bottom left groups...shows the barrel has potential

Set up from today

In its original build configuration to shoot irons
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I really like that A1-ish configuration.

Quoted:

50y
Bottom left groups...shows the barrel has potential
View Quote
That's impressive.  Not knocking the way your scope mounting leaves you with no cheek weld (what else could you do but wrap a pillow around the stock), but your two fliers at the 50 could have mechanical explanations.

I hate that you have me thinking of another build.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok what barrel length you recommend 16,18, or 20in?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Also I have read where people are saying 1/2 MOA at 50yards with a Beyer barrels.
View Quote
I don't doubt that's true.

Quoted:
Ok what barrel length you recommend 16,18, or 20in?
View Quote
I would prefer a 16 inch barrel.  You are anticipating use of high velocity ammunition.  My experience is that this will cycle fairly hard in with a 16 inch barrel.  I think Remington Golden Bullet even gives me "port pop" (noise from the ejection port because the brass is clearing the chamber while some pressure is still present).  I think a 20 inch barrel would only make this worse, but I'd be interested in ar671's opinion on that.

Where accuracy is the goal, I'd look for the shortest, thickest barrel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Will most rimfire bbls just replace the clip on chamber adapter?  The boy has Stag's (CMMG) left-handed bolt replacement w/ chamber adapter, would like to replace the bbl on that rig.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Will most rimfire bbls just replace the clip on chamber adapter?  The boy has Stag's (CMMG) left-handed bolt replacement w/ chamber adapter, would like to replace the bbl on that rig.
View Quote
CMMG and Taccom bolts use a collar at the end of the bolt that replaces the .223 to 22lr adapter.  That collar (two different sizes) fits on lots of different barrels, but you want to know which size a barrel takes.

Some barrels do away with the adapter/collar entirely.  I believe Keystone is one of those.

That doesn't reach your left hand conversion issues though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I talk to Clint at Beyer barrels today, and with a military discount for a 16.5, flutted bull barrel, and muzzle break $315. Is the price difference between it and the CMMG worth it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I talk to Clint at Beyer barrels today, and with a military discount for a 16.5, flutted bull barrel, and muzzle break $315. Is the price difference between it and the CMMG worth it?
View Quote
I have no experience with Beyer barrels.  I've never heard anything bad about them, and I assume their excellence because they command a premium price.  I have no reason to doubt their value.  I eliminated them from consideration for me because I anticipate a fairly high volume use, and I don't think a relatively soft stainless steel liner/barrel in an aluminium sleeve is the better candidate for that.

If your goal is to keep weight down to a minimum, then that Beyer barrel free floated with a carbon fiber tube, a polymer lower and a light stock might be around 5 pounds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Question will charging handle made to fit on a M&P 22 work with my build?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
It looks far too short.  It's made to work with a S&W bolt.  The CMMG bolt works with a regular AR CH.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It looks far too short.  It's made to work with a S&W bolt.  The CMMG bolt works with a regular AR CH.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To add to that, the groove in the regular ar handle is just the right size for empty casings to jamb into. Some report thousands of rounds with it never happening. On My first ar22 build, i had a few get jammed in there and a couple that needed pliers to remove. I filled the groove with jb weld. On my second build, i ordered a CMMG charge handle that doesn't have the groove. I was disappointed when i got it and found out it is plastic, but it seems plenty strong and well made.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Radian just came out with a Raptor CH for M&P 22. I was hoping it would work. On all my other builds I have used raptor CH, and love them IMOP I feel that are the best.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Radian just came out with a Raptor CH for M&P 22. I was hoping it would work. On all my other builds I have used raptor CH, and love them IMOP I feel that are the best.
View Quote
Is it cheaper than the AR15 version of the handle?

I agree on the wisdom of an ambi CH.  Coupled with a no Forward Assist upper and the short travel of a 22lr BCG, you can charge the rifle while in position, much like a bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is it cheaper than the AR15 version of the handle?

I agree on the wisdom of an ambi CH.  Coupled with a no Forward Assist upper and the short travel of a 22lr BCG, you can charge the rifle while in position, much like a bolt action.
View Quote
No it is not a cheaper version here is from their website “The Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle and Talon Safety Selector Combo for the Smith & Wesson® M&P 15-22™ are made from aircraft grade materials and manufactured with the highest commitment to quality.

Set this excellent training / plinking platform up with the same ambidextrous controls as your standard AR, upgrade today!”. From what I can tell it is a Raptor LT for M&P 22.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No it is not a cheaper version here is from their website “The Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle and Talon Safety Selector Combo for the Smith & Wesson® M&P 15-22™ are made from aircraft grade materials and manufactured with the highest commitment to quality.

Set this excellent training / plinking platform up with the same ambidextrous controls as your standard AR, upgrade today!”. From what I can tell it is a Raptor LT for M&P 22.
View Quote
If it's no cheaper, I would prefer the regular one which you could transfer and use on other ARs.

I'm not telling how to build or what to build, and I'm not even denigrating the S&W 15-22 (though I do believe it has some unfortunate limits).  I only note that the ability to use actual AR parts is a big advantage when buying, and nice if you foresee changing any parts around amongst other ARs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't doubt that's true.

I would prefer a 16 inch barrel.  You are anticipating use of high velocity ammunition.  My experience is that this will cycle fairly hard in with a 16 inch barrel.  I think Remington Golden Bullet even gives me "port pop" (noise from the ejection port because the brass is clearing the chamber while some pressure is still present).  I think a 20 inch barrel would only make this worse, but I'd be interested in ar671's opinion on that.

Where accuracy is the goal, I'd look for the shortest, thickest barrel.
View Quote
I never really thought about this, as long as my rifle cycles...I'm good.  But will make observations next range session, I honestly thought the wolf
Extra match ammo would not cycle but it did.  I observed though after sighting in at 50y with the 38gr, aiming at same target then shooting the wolf extra match 40gr measured a drop of 2-3/4" from the 38gr
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Below is a heavy taper barrel with a 12.5 inch freefloat tube.  As stubby as it looks, it still cycles subsonics.

Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#45]
My 1st build was a 16" bull barrel set up exactly like my fight carbine. I built it for cheap run and gun. Kinda like a training gun.
It is CMMG bolt barrel and mag. Shoots better than me. Also has their CH.
So I decided to do a 20" A2 for off hand practice for CMP.
Same recipe. Kits work great. Accuracy rivals any .22 I have seen other than all out benchrest Anshutz types.
Mags work flawlessly.
Back in 89 I got a Colt HBAR that came with their conversion. It worked and all. It was not very accurate. I almost never entertained the .22lr idea again. I see guys shoot converted 5.56 guns. Still not impressed enuff to invest. THEN I saw the dedicated barrels. Glad I did
Today I even have an Advantage Arms dedicated Glock 17. Couldnt be happier with both!.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Well the 22 is built I just need to get the redi mag adapter and need to find a CH for it. I was thinking of filling in a raptor to prevent jams.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well the 22 is built I just need to get the redi mag adapter and need to find a CH for it. I was thinking of filling in a raptor to prevent jams.
View Quote
I just use a standard raptor and have never had a piece of brass get jammed in it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
My build with that barrel outshot my Model 60 and my 10/22 all day long... For what it's worth...
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I’m looking at my next build being a 22LR, but I’m torn between two barrel brands. I would like your opinions on JP vs Beyer barrels for accuracy, weight, and value. I know JP Super match kit is $500. Thank you
View Quote
FYI, the JP .22 lr barrel kit comes with proprietary bolt and .22 charging handle.  The bolt design is a unique creation back in the Nordic Comp. days. It uses 10/22 extractor and bolt spring.  I already have the original NC22 upper so haven't thought about upgrading its barrel with this, but knowing enough about JP over the years, I can say accuracy of John's stuff is top notch.  BTW I'm not a JP sponsored shooter (not good enough ) but I do have his rifles.

When you get into this price territory, I'm sure both Beyer and JP will shoot, and I'm sure both would replace the barrel if it doesn't perform.  The question is when you combine the cost of barrel/bolt/charging handle, which one fits your pocket better
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top