Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2023 10:41:20 PM EDT
I’m thinking of building an upper for 224 Valkyrie. After some preliminary research it looks like I’ll want a 224 24” barrel and BCG, but all other upper parts are compatible with a regular 556 build. Also shouldn’t need to change much on the lower beyond new mags. That said, my current build is a 20” Wylde, so would the buffer still be good? Does anyone have any experience with a 224 build good or bad? Ammo price and availability aside it seems like a great caliber.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’m thinking of building an upper for 224 Valkyrie. After some preliminary research it looks like I’ll want a 224 24” barrel and BCG, but all other upper parts are compatible with a regular 556 build. Also shouldn’t need to change much on the lower beyond new mags. That said, my current build is a 20” Wylde, so would the buffer still be good? Does anyone have any experience with a 224 build good or bad? Ammo price and availability aside it seems like a great caliber.
View Quote

I built a 224V that I'm playing with.  I used a Wilson Combat 20" barrel.  Mine has the 6.5 twist.  It runs fine with my standard rifle buffer.

Initial accuracy wasn't anything to write home about but it's coming in after a 150 rds or so.  Best factory ammo is the Federal Gold Medal Match 90gr  SMK at 1-1.5 MOA.  I've got some handloads I'm working with  the same bullet that show promise.  I haven't messed with lighter bullets much.

If you reload the Hornady dies work fine.  I also got the Lee case trimer and pilot.

Hmm, I need to get some ammo loaded and go shoot it some more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 20 inch Wilson barrel as well.

Rifle buffer and standard spring is perfect for it. Springco green actually wouldn’t lock back. Standard rifle buffer and spring and it’s a super soft shooter.

Federal Gold Medal March 90 smk and fusion are all ive shot out of it and it’s doing well but I haven’t had time to shoot it much nor given it a proper accuracy evaluation
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve had excellent results with the Rainier Ultramatch 224Valkyrie barrels and the White Oak barrels. The Rainier barrel is a 1:7.5twist, so it didn’t work great with the 90’s, but they hammer with the 80’s!

With a 22”+ barrel, the 80’s tend to offer the best ballistics, especially if you can handload.

The white oak barrels have been sub moa with the factory FGMM 90 load, and effective out to at least 850yds (video below). I don’t think WOA is still routinely stocking the 224Valkyrie barrels, but I do have a new 24”+2 gas. Feel free to send me an IM.

FGMM 80.5

Load development

Load development (2nd rainier barrel)

FGMM 90

22” 1:6.5t WOA, 224Valkyrie-850yds
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top