Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2018 4:19:47 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a patch of Rural Land Management land, and he is required to harvest 8 deer this year.  These are small south Texas deer, not north east 350 pounders.  I'd like to take a run at it with my AR.  I'm using an 18" heavy 1:8 in 223 Wylde.  Here's what I have on hand:
60gr. Federal Noslar Partition
55gr. Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip
64gr. Winchester Super-X Power Point
62gr. Federal Fusion Rifle Softpoint (not the MSR, the Rifle)
I also might be able to get my hands on 75gr. Hornady TAP

The pinned post is a bit lean on specifics - does anyone have any feedback on these for deer?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Those will all work fine, I’d use whatever you’re most comfortable with or get cheapest. Whitetail deer down in the S (or anywhere, if we are being honest) aren’t too hard to kill. I like 75gr Gold Dots (really close to your Fusion option) and 77gr TMKs.

People will debate about what works ‘best’ forever, but at the end of the day most options work well enough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO 223 is a little on the small side for deer, that said

https://fortscottmunitions.com/collections/rifle-ammunition/products/5-56-nato-sbs-brass-hog-rifle-ammo?variant=32603382342

62gr spun brass bullet in 556

Does some impressive stuff in the jelly and I've heard good reports of its use on deer, personally I'll stick to my 30-30 when it comes to stocking my freezer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Just take good shots with a bullet you are accurate with  where you hit the vitals, long as it isnt varmint ammo with extreme underpenetration it will do.

Id maybe just take broadside shots...
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tapped...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used the 64 grain Winchester PP with good effect on some smaller hill country deer.

It's nothing fancy, but does the job.

+1 on making sure you have the right angle (boardside with vitals exposed).  This is not the kind of ammo to shoot them from the front breast and exit out the rear...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
223 is too small imho, go bigger and more humane
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
62gr Fusion.

We've killed piles of whitetails with fusion/Gold Dots, and never had one fail.  Some of the others on your list HAVE failed.  We have rarely had one not exit (90+% through and throughs), and every good shot has led to a clean, quick kill, even out past 250 yards.  It has been reasonably accurate in everything from 1:12, 1:9, 1:8, 1:7, and bbl lengths from 16-24".

Barring that, I would use the Partition.  I wouldn't use the Varmint bullet, and I've had the old school cup and core bullets fail to penetrate, and TAP fail to frag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've taken +150lbs deer with Fusion 62 grain ammo and they've dropped like a rock. When I clean them the wound channel looks just like those I've harvested with my 300 Savage, and no one who's hunted deer will tell you that the 300 Savage is not enough cartridge.

In my view, with the proper ammo, the 223 would be effective for all but the largest whitetail deer and I'd bet it knock those down too.

i don't think you'd have an issue with any of the loads you listed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
62gr Fusion at 60 yards. Ran about 40 yards

exit wound

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The 62 grain Fusion is the pick of the litter in OP's list for smaller whitetail.

Our south Mississippi coastal whitetails are similar.  While I usually hunt with more powerful rifles (.270-.280-to-'06 class), and at longer distances, I have taken deer inside 150 yards (my max limit with a 5.56 AR) with Barnes 62 TSX.  This is an all copper monolithic hollow point design originally developed for larger caliber hunting rifles, like I normally use.  Its been popular in big game circles for decades.

In the 62 grain TSX it behaves like its bigger siblings:  Rapid expansion to 2x caliber, with 2x or greater permanent wound channel, breaks through bone, and leaves an exit wound with good blood trail.  Recovered bullets (rare) have almost 100 percent retained weight.

I've learned to purposefully take shoulder shots, if offered, rather than just behind.  Not only does it break the shoulder, causing the deer to drop on the spot, but it expands like a soft point, disrupts heart and lung and leaves a large exit wound.

The 62 Fusion relies on bonding of the lead core to the jacket, like Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets.  It works.  But, the TSX can't shed its jacket, as it is solid copper.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I have taken lots of whitetails with 223, your list has some good ones on it, for me I like 65 gr serria, the 55gr hornadys soft pt's lung shots work perfect.
64gr Winchester's, fusion by federal, and partition if you can't pick your shots and might hit shoulder bone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#13]
After action report:

I went with the 62gr Fusions.  They were very consistent and accurate in my gun, and I wanted excellent shot placement.  Unfortunately, Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day to take our guns out for a walk, didn't see a thing!
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After action report:

I went with the 62gr Fusions.  They were very consistent and accurate in my gun, and I wanted excellent shot placement.  Unfortunately, Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day to take our guns out for a walk, didn't see a thing!
View Quote
You made a good choice. I usually go with fusions in my hunting .308’s. I took out gold dot 75’s, which are very close to fusions, this year and took a decent buck. He was only about 30 yards away and it was a neck shot so I could have used about anything though. All my fusion and gold dot kills have either been instant drops or dead after a <30m sprint.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Speer.  70 grain.  Have stacked them like cord wood with this bullet.  Does not have a cool name.  A long time before AR15s got popular these bullets were used in 223 and 22-250 with great success.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Barnes VOR-TX
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#17]
For them whitetails Hornady's 55gr sp work great, I am always surprised what they go and how they hold together.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Good choice on the Fusion.  Have used it on several southern white tails out of a 16" with good success.  As with anything, shot placement is crucial
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I have seen plenty Wisconsin Whitetail fall to the El Cheapo Winchester Power Point 64gr JSP. But yes, that Federal Fusion does the job, too!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#20]
For those saying that the Fusions are very close to the Gold Dots, have any of you seen both side by side after expansion? Asides from length and weight differences, they both expand the same. Put a 62 of both next to each other, you won't know which is which.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Molon has pictures of the 62 Fusion and 62 Gold Dot side by side and they are identical.

If you are using an AR or similar, the MSR version of the Fusion seems a little faster (and for some reason more accurate in my guns) than the standard non-MSR.

I just bought some 62gr Gold Dot, hoping it is same as the MSR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Speer.  70 grain.  Have stacked them like cord wood with this bullet.  Does not have a cool name.  A long time before AR15s got popular these bullets were used in 223 and 22-250 with great success.
View Quote
You have to read the label very carefully on the 70 grain Speer SP, as they also have a .227 version of that same bullet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
62gr Fusion MSR works great on Wisconsin whitetails
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top