Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2020 10:32:59 PM EDT
Neighbor picked up a .22 upper from the gun show.

Not much was told to him by the seller.

It's an all polymer upper with a silver bolt and polymer rail.

The guy said it did have an aluminum sleeved barrel.

Heres the only pic I got.   No mags so we're trying to figure out what it is.  Fits on a lower but there is a gap.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I can tell you what it is not. It is definitely not a Chiappa upper.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks to be a Smith & Wesson 15-22 upper. And if it is, it will not work on anything besides a 15-22 lower, at least without some type of modification to the lower, upper, or potentially both. Who the hell sells a 15-22 upper by itself?!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks to be a Smith & Wesson 15-22 upper. And if it is, it will not work on anything besides a 15-22 lower, at least without some type of modification to the lower, upper, or potentially both. Who the hell sells a 15-22 upper by itself?!
View Quote

Somebody that bought one of these ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How do you say "no magazine" but include a mag in your pic? does that one not work?
Agreed, looks like an M&P 22 upper.
View Quote

That's not a 15-22 mag.

OP, I'm curious what you're going to do here. You essentially need a 15-22 lower and they are not sold without 15-22 uppers. Not sure who would buy a 15-22 upper from you, maybe someone who SBR'd the gun and has a shortened upper and wants a regular length one as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#7]
That sure looks like a S&W 15-22 upper.  Might post a pic of the bolt to confirm.

They only work on S&W 15-22 lowers as they are similar but not exactly the same, which is what prevents people from shooting a 5.56 upper on their plastic .22 lowers.

I'm not sure why anyone would sell off an upper as the lower is no good without it, except maybe if they somehow ruined the lower or got one of those new Gemtech uppers.

As your neighbor isn't going to be able to use it if it is a S&W 15-22 upper, let me know if he is interested in selling it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies guys.

So the mags that the guy gave him are for the SCAR 22 clone.  We figured that out pretty quick.

I guess he's pretty much out of luck at this point.  I think the guy he bought it from either didn't know what it was or was maybe just trying to dump it off on someone

He can sell the mags and maybe part out the upper...

I just got him into the AR world recently so hes still learning.  He tried contacting me before he purchased but I was without cell service.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys.

So the mags that the guy gave him are for the SCAR 22 clone.  We figured that out pretty quick.

I guess he's pretty much out of luck at this point.  I think the guy he bought it from either didn't know what it was or was maybe just trying to dump it off on someone

He can sell the mags and maybe part out the upper...

I just got him into the AR world recently so hes still learning.  He tried contacting me before he purchased but I was without cell service.
View Quote

@JestersHK Listen!

No, he can not part out the upper lol. It seems like you still don't completely understand what we are telling you... The upper is a proprietary part in the S&W 15-22 system. It is not common to need 15-22 upper parts and if people do they can just get them as replacements from Smith & Wesson as needed.

His best bet is to just sell the entire upper, NOT IN PARTS, to someone who is looking for one. Like the poster above, who happens to be interested in purchasing it. Not many people are looking for one but some people could use a stock OEM 15-22 upper if their other one suppressed, SBR'd, etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well my buddy apparently did some WECSOG on the upper and got it running on a standard lower...

I told him I needed pics, but apparently some epoxy and new hole drilling was involved.

He was only in it for $150 and was determined to get it working.  Obviously theres simpler easy ways to do it, but he just put first 100 rounds through it using S&W mags without any failures.

Curious to see what he did and I'll take some pics.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Where there is will, there is a way.  Good on him!
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Did he buy that at the Lamborghini center show on the 12th?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I believe he picked it up from that show.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I spoke with him at that show, glad he got it running.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where there is will, there is a way.  Good on him!
View Quote

Yeah that’s got ‘murica written all over it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top