Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 5:11:22 PM EDT
So I had most of the parts laying around to build another 5.56 A%.  I have a couple and there really wasn't anything I was wanting to build.  Decided to build a 4.5" 22lr to use with my Ruger Silent-SR.  I had a Spikes upper and a ALG handguard in the parts bin.  It was cut down to about 7".  I waited for almost a month before Brownells had the CMMG 4.5" kit (carrier group and barrel combo) in stock.  Already had a CMMG Rip-brace for it, but went ahead and ordered a KNS 1913 receiver adapter and used the Sig PCB folding brace I recently removed from my PTR 9KT.  Everything came together fast and it shoots great.  Curently scoped, but did put a TRS25 on there and sighted that in as well.  I put a older small Troy battle axe grip on there soi it woudl fit a little better in a small laptop bag.  Grip is very small, but still useable.  I like going to goodwill and getting these laptop bags for small rifles and the PTR 9CT and 9KT.  Also use one for my Scorpion Micro.

I am looking for a 3.5" handguard to use instead of the ALG rail.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice looking build.
Here is my 22 machinegun.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74310/20210115_095346-1928442.jpg
View Quote

Damn, looks like you might have some rounds through it.  Lol.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice looking build.
Here is my 22 machinegun.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74310/20210115_095346-1928442.jpg
View Quote

Do you by any chance have a MG42?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
What about just cutting down your ALG KeyMod rail?

I went with the Hogue Tube-type fore end on my 4.5" CMMG build because it is easy to unscrew to gain access to the suppressor and your BBL threads.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about just cutting down your ALG KeyMod rail?

I went with the Hogue Tube-type fore end on my 4.5" CMMG build because it is easy to unscrew to gain access to the suppressor and your BBL threads.

https://www.hogueinc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/75x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/5/15014.jpg
View Quote

Actually a member here contacted me and sold me a NIB 3.5" handguard that I had been looking at.  It's on, but the barrel is still recessed a little and my brother was able to score me a micro flash can to finish it off.  Will have pics up next week.

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Updates:

Member here reached out and had one of the two 3.5" handguards I was looking for.  I didn't measure first, and apparently I would have needed a even smaller handguard to have the barrel stick out past the handguard.  No worries, as a handguard that short doesn't exist and the 3" only has 1 or 2 options and they are expensive.

I used a small section of para-cord to make a loop to attach to a single point sling.  If I SBR this lower (might pick up a BRN180 upper) and put a stock with QDs on it I will put a Mlok QD mount on the handguard.

So installed handguard and started looking for something that would give me a flush look and act as a thread protector when not using a can.  KAK mini flash can fit the bill.  Nutro found one for me on the EE and I installed it when it came in.  I didn't like how far it stuck out.  A buddy of mine let me use his drill press as a "red-neck" lathe.  I stuck a long bolt through the can and tightened it down with a nut.  I then secured it to the drill press and turned it on.  I used a hacksaw with a fresh blade and cut a LOT of the flash can off.  Alumablacked the bare aluminum and will hit it with some rustoleum once the humidity is down.

So it sticks out just enough that I can easily grab it to loosen or tighten it.  There is a skinny high temp O ring at the base, so it stays on there.  Over all I am happy with it, and will probably just run a red dot on it and take the scope off so I can stow it in a medium sized lunch box as a trunk/plinking gun.

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
With TRS25 mounted

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]
CMMG

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Damn Son!  M16 lower!  I assume it cycles well?

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
CMMG

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

A 3 stamper !!

I'm jealous. So very jealous.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]
The 4.5" pistols are definitely fun.

Attachment Attached File

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top