BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Spikes 10.5" upper I bought when they first came out.  At the same time I also bought a used Model 1 sales 4.5" barrel and one of the low cost uppers with no door or assist along with a 6" free float tube.  Works great with my Spikes bolt.  I would always do the bolt and charging handle swap out.
I've NEVER had a FTF, FTE or anything with this bolt.  It has been 100% ever since I bought it.  Even better with my silencer.

Now I want to buy a second bolt to build a dedicated pistol and I'm having a hard time finding anything that uses the .5" Spikes/Model 1 collar.  I signed up for the email notification from Taccom.  Lets see how long it takes now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You can switch the collar to use a .460 collar or get a barrel from Model 1 Sales.   There was a guy on the EE selling left over Spike’s Lothar Walther barrels, you could get the barrel cut down by ADCO.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Already have the Model 1 sales barrel.   Looking for another bolt that works with it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:05:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RedDawn1] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Already have the Model 1 sales barrel.   Looking for another bolt that works with it.
View Quote
I emailed Model 1 Sales and they responded that day. I ordered a .500 adapter collar from them  and it’s on its way now. You could order a complete BCG from them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
View Quote
If your wanting another bolt to work with a Model 1 Sales barrel or a Spike’s barrel you can buy a .500 collar and switch the chamber insert on a CMMG, Ciener or Target Master 22 conversion bolt.   The most critical difference between the CMMG bolt and barrel for a dedicated upper is the collar and corresponding barrel diameter.    Spike’s, TACCOM and Model 1 Sales use .500 collar whereas CMMG and 1st Generstion DPMS dedicated uppers use .460 collar and smaller diameter barrel stub.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Reviving this thread for info others might find useful.

I just found a complete .22 bold assembly with the .500 collar through Velocity Firearms for $155 shipped.  It has the same Electroless-Nickle plating as my Spikes bolt.

I'll follow up with a function report after I get it in.

Velocity Firearms bolt
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:26:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#7]
FYI since TACCOM is no longer in the .22AR game I had to resort to ordering from Velocity.  They also have the TACCOM style pressure plugs.  I just bought the 4 inch barrel for my project (obviously came with the .500 sized collar) and it works fine with the CMMG and old school Ciener bolts I have.  Not sure if Velocity bought old stock from TACCOM or are making this stuff in house but so far I'm happy with the quality of what I've received from them. There was talk Velocity might offer the TACCOM style "quiet" bolt kit parts which I'm really interested in since I recently acquired a suppressor.  Sadly I missed the TACCOM boat for those parts but hopefully Velocity picks up that as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I missed the Taccom boat too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By strycnine:
I missed the Taccom boat too.
View Quote
You might check Radarmory.com in addition to velocity firearms for Taccom stuff.

https://radarmory.com/product-category/ar15-parts/ar15-22lr-parts/
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Erik72:

You might check Radarmory.com in addition to velocity firearms for Taccom stuff.

https://radarmory.com/product-category/ar15-parts/ar15-22lr-parts/
View Quote
@Erik72

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 7:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: godgunsguitars] [#11]
Nephew came across a Spike's .22 barrel, will the CMMG non-conversion bolt & mags work without any type of collar?
He just got this earlier today & I haven't got the GoogleFu working yet.
Help would be apprecaited.

aHH...THE COLLAR IS BUILT INTO THE BCG , INSTEAD OF THE LONGER CONVERSION TUBE.
RIGHT? lol
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 9:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zip196] [#12]
Originally Posted By godgunsguitars:
Nephew came across a Spike's .22 barrel, will the CMMG non-conversion bolt & mags work without any type of collar?
He just got this earlier today & I haven't got the GoogleFu working yet.
Help would be apprecaited.

aHH...THE COLLAR IS BUILT INTO THE BCG , INSTEAD OF THE LONGER CONVERSION TUBE.
RIGHT? lol
View Quote
Should work. Test fit/function test it and should be good to go!
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Spikes used a .500 sized collar for their barrels.  CMMG uses a .460 sized one.  Unfortunately Spikes no longer offers their .22 stuff anymore, Velocity has a .500 sized one that works with their barrel and a CMMG bolt.  I believe its compatible with a Spikes .22 barrel  but I'd contact them first before ordering one just to make sure.

https://www.velocityfirearms.com/product/ar-22-barrel-collar/
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
Spikes used a .500 sized collar for their barrels.  CMMG uses a .460 sized one.  Unfortunately Spikes no longer offers their .22 stuff anymore, Velocity has a .500 sized one that works with their barrel and a CMMG bolt.  I believe its compatible with a Spikes .22 barrel  but I'd contact them first before ordering one just to make sure.

View Quote
Has anyone used this collar on a spikes barrel?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chumpmiester] [#15]
I know I'm resurrecting an older thread but I wanted to add to the info.

I have seen several posts asking if one can use the G44 22lr magazines with a dedicated lower or mag block with a 22lr upper. No the G44 magazines will not work at all. They are too wide to fit in between the rails of the 22lr bolts to even come close to feeding a round. Here is a photo of a G44 magazine next to a BDM magazine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:59:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#16]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I know I'm resurrecting an older thread but I wanted to add to the info.

I have seen several posts asking if one can use the G44 22lr magazines with a dedicated lower or mag block with a 22lr upper. No the G44 magazines will not work at all. They are too wide to fit in between teh rails of the 22lr bolts to even come close to feeding a round. Here is a photo of a G44 magazine next to a BDM magazine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101824/glock-ar22_JPG-1748622.JPG
View Quote

For AR15?

Edit: Just saw the other thread.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

For AR15?

Edit: Just saw the other thread.
View Quote
Yes, This question has come up several times over the last 6-7 months. I can fully understand people wanting to try it with their Glock magazine AR lowers and a 22LR upper. But as you can see in my photo, the G44 magazine is too wide and will not work with a 22lr bolt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jeremywills:

This is too late for the poster, but I’ll answer it for the benefit of anyone who needs to know.  

I acquired one of the Spikes Lothar Walter barrels from a fellow here years ago and sat on it until last year. I used the Velocity collar and a CMMG bolt group, it works perfectly so far….once I put in a buffer plug and the CMMG .22LR charging handle. About ~1000 rounds in on this setup with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone have experience with the AGP arms folding stock?

I just built my CMMG upper and it runs awesome with the auto trip kit full auto, but want a dedicated folding stock setup for it when its not on the FA lower.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#20]

I have a FA Colt M16A1 that I run a 22lr upper on and it runs perfect.
Started with a CMMG M4 pattern upper with stainless bolt with auto sear trip.
Added a rear carry handle/sight.

For this, I run 40 gr CCI mini-mag or CCI AR Tactical.
Both run equally well.

Did most of the mods mentioned here including buzzing the chamber, polishing the feed ramp, sharpening the firing pin, polishing the firing pin and firing pin channel, use a pressure plug, reshaping and polishing the bolt where it cocks the hammer, and greasing the part of the hammer where it is cocked by the bolt.

In addition to the above, I have stretched the operating spring, swapped out the firing pin spring for one from an ink pen, and finally, I polished the rails the bolt rides on as well as polished the channels in the bolt that the rails run through.
I did that by taking a putty knife and wrapping sand paper around the end of it. Then running the putty knife back and forth through the channel. I used increasingly fine grade paper until it was all very slick.

Not sure there are any other areas where friction could arise that I haven't addressed.

Using Black Dog Gen 3, Smith and Wesson MP 15-22 with the Better Mag adapter and even the old cheap Chiappa Ar15 22 magazines it runs about as slick as you can get one to run.
The Chiappa magazines surprised me.
Don't use the Smith and Wesson MP15-22 magazines much, as I don't like to mess with installing and uninstalling the Better Mag adapter.

I use the above magazines as they are the ones that have a button to assist with loading.

I don't use the bounce weight as I have had not needed it.

One thing though, if you load more than 23 or so rounds in the magazine, you start to have some problems if you do a full auto mag dump with a single pull of the trigger
I think the M16 running on .22lr can outrun the ability of the single position feed magazines to supply ammunition fast enough for the rate of fire.

Raymond
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
BTW, I put the above in one of the threads in the "How to make your AR 22 run smoother" thread under the "Important Rimfire Threads!" at the top of the page.

Raymond
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top