Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 3:41:49 PM EDT
Basically just a big question mark here. I have no idea.

I've seen ASC, PRI, E-lander, C-products, PSA D&H, No PSA D&H, etc etc.

The last thread I could find that went into any detail was from 2017 and had such gems as "IDK, I like x even though they malfunction sometimes on 5-6 rounds".

Did anyone ever make a good 6.5 Grendel magazine worth buying 10 of? Looking over the 6ARC thread, it seems ASC may have "won".
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been shooting ASC 6.5 mags for years with the Grendel and many variants with no problems. I also shoot all my 6.8 based cartridges through the 6.5 ASCs.

I bought a Ruger RAP in 6.5 last year and shoot the same mags in it in both Grendel and 243 LBC.

Good luck.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
https://rossdefensesystems.com/products/unimag

My Gen 2 Unimags have worked w/ 7.62x39mm & 5.56x45mm.  I haven't tested em w/ 6.5.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
C-Products have been the only Grendel mags in my stash that have stood the test of time and proven 100% functional reliable time and time again.

They also come with the small cutout that doesnt mark the brass up and reduce feeding friction.

I've read good reports on E-Landers, call it bad luck or maybe a bad batch but on the 5, 10 and 17 rounders I've had broken welds on the mag body.

Isnt there a Polymer mag now folks are using? Amend one or something like that?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have dozens of 25 round ASC magazines.  Never had any issues with three different receivers.  They don’t work in my Seekins billet receiver.  Unfortunately I think the geometry of your lower will dictate which magazine will work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I tend to run 20s so E-landers & CPD/Duramags are my top recommendation.
The E-landers are heavy gauge steel with strong springs but can take a bit of break in time and are hard on the thumbs so plan on a loader like the Maglula 7.62x39 AR loader which works great.

For steel case, CPDs for the win. Zero break in and that slick Teflon finish feeds steel case like butter.

The only ASC I own is a straight 15 I run in my Ruger Predator bolt action. It doesn’t like running more than 12 rounds but it’s been reliable otherwise in my ARs & Ruger. But I like the CPDs better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Elander 10, 17, 24rd and ASC 15rd mags. I've heard lots of boogie man stories over the years how mags are the weak point of the AR Grendel platform but I have had no issues whatsoever with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve not used the Amend2 polymer ten round 6.5 Grendel mag or the D&H ten round mag.   I have 33 6.5 Grendel AR-15 magazines.  I’ve encountered two which had issues.  One ASC 25 round mag needed the inside feed lip tweaked to feed from that side reliably.   I had one 24 round E-Lander mag fail to feed reliably.   There were rough welds in the spine which caused drag on the follower.  A few passes with a file fixed this E-L mag.   The biggest issue with 6.5 Grendel mags is poor quality control as lemons slip out.  I recommend buying 6.5 Grendel mags from vendors with good customer service in the event you get a lemon.

I only have two 20 round CPD/Duramag 6.5 Grendel mags but numerous original C Products, ASC and E-Lander mags.   I use the 17 round E-Landers, 20 round CPD and ten round CP, ASC and E-L mags the most.   The E-Lander mags come with stiff springs and need time to wear in.   I use a wooden yard stick to push the follower up and down a few times then load the new E-Lander mags to capacity.   Next time I shoot a 6.5 Grendel I shoot the new E-L mags till empty and then reload them and let them sit loaded till I shoot again.  

I have two 10 round, eleven 17 round and five 24 round E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags.
I have two ASC 10 round, five 25 round 6.5 Grendel mags.
I have one CP five round, one ten round, three 15 round and one 25 round 6.5 Grendel mag.
I have two CPD 20 round 6.5 Grendel mags.

I also have a Cz American with two Cz 6.5 Grendel mags which hold five rounds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
C-Products have been the only Grendel mags in my stash that have stood the test of time and proven 100% functional reliable time and time again.

They also come with the small cutout that doesnt mark the brass up and reduce feeding friction.

I've read good reports on E-Landers, call it bad luck or maybe a bad batch but on the 5, 10 and 17 rounders I've had broken welds on the mag body.

Isnt there a Polymer mag now folks are using? Amend one or something like that?
View Quote

The initial Amend reviews are not promising.  Bulging when loaded.

Here is a review, and some other reviews in there
Amend Review at 65Grendel.com

Amend mags bulging

I have Elanders (mostly), they did need some minor filing on the mag lips to smoothen out the sharp lip.  When fully loaded it would scratch up the wolf cases.
I have also read they need some breaking in, keep them loaded for a while.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#9]
There is some great info on here
Here is my opinion
The 17 round E-Landers are the perfect size for this platform
I had ONE weld pop and the damn thing still works it’s just you can push it at the top with your hand
I called Alexander they told me they were aware of a bad batch mailed me a new one no issue
I also will attest you have to “break” these in
I found they would periodically give me trouble then I realized when I left them loaded in the gun they worked
After break in I have three 17 rounders and two 24 rounders broke in shot thousands of steel through two guns
I have one 10 ASC it is flawless I just don’t use it much
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I mainly use the 15 round ASC mags and they're great. I have a couple of AR-Stoner 10 rounders that I use for deer as we have a 10 round mag limit when deer hunting (I just realized I moved and didn't update my state, and updating the state doesn't go back and change it on old posts. To avoid any confusion I'm talking about deer hunting in KY and not WA) and they work too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have C-products and Elander and both function perfectly.  I really wanted to try the Amend 2 mags but they were always sold out so I have no idea how they run.  I've had pretty good success using regular old 5.56 Pmags as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for ASC. Been using the 25ers since 2018, no issues.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The initial Amend reviews are not promising.  Bulging when loaded.

Here is a review, and some other reviews in there
Amend Review at 65Grendel.com

Amend mags bulging

I have Elanders (mostly), they did need some minor filing on the mag lips to smoothen out the sharp lip.  When fully loaded it would scratch up the wolf cases.
I have also read they need some breaking in, keep them loaded for a while.
View Quote

I have 4 samples of Amend 2's 6.5 10 round magazines. When left loaded, everyone of them swelled and wouldn't function correctly.  The rounds hung up and nose diving from swelling.   You have to squeeze the magazines to help realign the rounds in the magazine. Even then,  it doesn't work 100 percent of the time.  The rounds will nose dive or you manually have to use a tool to retrieve the nose dive rounds.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve heard similar reports from others as well.
Surprising that a double stack mag re-engineered as a single stack isn’t stiffer.
Was really hoping Amend2 would roll out a good reliable polymer mag, steel case usually feeds better out of a polymer mag.

Now I don’t feel bad for making fun of Amend2 dragging out the development of these.
And this is proof that it’s way harder to make a good variant AR mag than a 5.56 mag.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I hit all my grendel mags with some fine sandpaper to knock down the sharp edges on the inside of the feed lips. Most of those mags dig into the brass as the springs are heavier and slow down feeding. Have ASC mags and all run fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shot more than I can count with E-Lander Grendel mags.  24s have been as reliable as any other magazine I have used.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, but I didn't read every post above this, but stick with what the original manufacturer use's. Alexander Arms uses E-Landers.  That's all I use for 6.5G.  Too many problems with several of the other brands.  Never as much as a hick-up with E-Lander.  Back in the day, they would go on sale every Christmas.  Now, not so much.  Why chance it if you are going to drop serious coin on a magazine.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Well....

This thread illustrates exactly the problem.

Tons of different answers, not even a remotely clear consensus. Three or four popular options. People directly shifting on mags the next guy is strongly recommending, a lot of IDK “works in my gun”, and my favorite “mostly reliable” unless you have a red and green shirt on or it’s Sunday and an odd numbered day.

As it were I ordered almost every 6.5 mag I could and I’ll just have to do my own testing I guess!

6.5 is just not there yet it seems!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#19]
ASC are my go to anymore.

The Grendel round is there, some mags just aren't yet.  Don't write the caliber off due to that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#20]
No one who makes magazines wants to spend an extra cent to make a magazine, or an extra second to design a magazine.

Think about it.

You are trying to stuff a larger cylinder into the same feed ramp.

That feed ramp is just long enough or low enough to get a .223 rem into the chamber.

The bigger cylinder of the new cartridge, the lower the center line (the tip of the bullet) will be.

Using the same horizontal feed lips on a fatter cartridge gets you a T-Bone collision on the bottom of the feed lips.

Just angle the feed lips up 10 degrees at the factory would fix most problems.

Like a pistol magazine.

Other real issues to look into are leftover weld burrs on the inside of the magazine and bolt velocity.

If the bolt is too slow it can't force the bullet tip up the ramp.

Too fast and the magazine springs can't push the bullets up in time.

Always get an adjustable gas block with non-.223 rem guns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]
ASC magazines have been good on my end. I don't have any issues with the 5, 10, or 24 round magazines.

I did have issues with Elanders 17 rounds and 24 magazines. I sanded down the feed lips to get rid of the sharp edges and need to retry them.

I just bought ASC 15 round magazines and will try them out the next time I go out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Won’t be firing them until tomorrow, but I loaded 30rds into each of 3 older 7.62x39 ASC mags with hand cycling showing promising results. As I was manually unloading my 24rd Elander mags I was having issues, making me really question their viability at this point.

Will update with my findings across 90rds from 3 7.62x39 ASC mags tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm looking at 15-17-20 rounders that will work with bipods.

Basically this thread was a failure, or rather, the 2021 State of 6/6.5 Magazines is pitiful..... So I've just bought a few of everything.

But I'm glad to see someone actually trying different mags out. Probably is as others said, YOUR gun might not feed like MY gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Won’t be firing them until tomorrow, but I loaded 30rds into each of 3 older 7.62x39 ASC mags with hand cycling showing promising results. As I was manually unloading my 24rd Elander mags I was having issues, making me really question their viability at this point.

Will update with my findings across 90rds from 3 7.62x39 ASC mags tomorrow.
View Quote

It was colder than shit on Friday with winds gusting to 25mph, so I only fired one mag of 30rds at a near target. Other than the first round needing the bolt pulled back and released a second time to feed it from the mag (same as with 30rds of steel cased 7.62x39) it ran great. Did 10rds quick and then 2-4rds quick working on transitions.

Will only be using these older ASC x39 mags going forward and will likely just load them to 28rds to allow for seating on a closed bolt and ensuring the top round feeds from the mag by just hitting the bolt release. Hell, had these things for so long I’ve forgotten if they were designed as a 28rd mag from the start.

Stoked that they (appear to) work; bummed I now have three used and seven NIW Elanders I probably didn’t need to buy in the first place...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
These?
https://www.ammosc.com/ar-15-30-rd-7-62-x-39-stainless-steel-magazine

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These?

View Quote

Those look like the ones I have.

Can't remember if they have a black follower off the top of my head, but I'm sure whatever color it was initially it's gray/black now as all I've ever used them with is a 7" barreled x39 suppressed AR. Just a touch of blowback with that setup

I also bought these in the 2010-2011 time frame and seem to recall there being a number of instances of CPROD and/or ASC being bought out and the names getting used on eventually better and better mags.

Regardless, the mag in your link looks like the (6) ASC marked 7.62x39 mags I have, one of which has so far fed 30rds flawlessly.

I plan to test the other two mags I have loaded next week, so they'll have sat for ~2wks by the time I use them.

ETA: link made hot

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#27]
c-products. maybe 1500 rds honestly can't remember a malfunction. almost all wolf
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I have mainly Cproducts. No issues. One Elander but it's a 10rnd and the low capacity mags all seem to be fine. I have to regular capacity ASC and one of them gave me issues before being left loaded overnight. I believe it was just a first round chambering issue from being so tight.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:44:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I have shot a large volumes through E Landers with no issues. Purchased from Larue and AA. A shot of lube in the mag keeps them slick.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can't remember if they have a black follower off the top of my head, but I'm sure whatever color it was initially it's gray/black now as all I've ever used them with is a 7" barreled x39 suppressed AR. Just a touch of blowback with that setup

I also bought these in the 2010-2011 time frame and seem to recall there being a number of instances of CPROD and/or ASC being bought out and the names getting used on eventually better and better mags.

Regardless, the mag in your link looks like the (6) ASC marked 7.62x39 mags I have, one of which has so far fed 30rds flawlessly.

I plan to test the other two mags I have loaded next week, so they'll have sat for ~2wks by the time I use them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These?

Fired the other two mags I’ve had loaded all week. Other than the first round needing an extra pull and release of the charging handle to get that top/30th round stripped I had no issues.

Have three more mags I’ll run at 28rds over the next few weeks, but at this point I plan to get some more CPROD 7.62x39 mags and use them for 6.5G as well.

Anyone want (7) unfired and (3) used ELanders?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well....

This thread illustrates exactly the problem.

Tons of different answers, not even a remotely clear consensus. Three or four popular options. People directly shifting on mags the next guy is strongly recommending, a lot of IDK “works in my gun”, and my favorite “mostly reliable” unless you have a red and green shirt on or it’s Sunday and an odd numbered day.

As it were I ordered almost every 6.5 mag I could and I’ll just have to do my own testing I guess!

6.5 is just not there yet it seems!
View Quote

Well.... I suspect your mind was made up before you clicked submit on new thread. What is it you need to see, 19 of 20 responses to be uniform like pmag is for 5.56? Sorry the thread disappointed. But I'm wondering if we're reading the same one. What I'm getting out of the responses is that there's several options that work well for people. The same crap i've seen posted on here through the years that mags don't work well in Grendel is overblown in my many thousands of 6.5g down range experience. If you get a dud or two oh well..(if you can't afford to toss a few dud mags here and there you're probably in the wrong hobby). I have some pretty good odds going, I have around 20 Grendel mags and all work fine. Don't stress over it just get shooting and enjoy wringing the ar-15 platform out with one of the most powerful and accurate cartridge it's capable of.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I've own the Amend2 10rd, Elander 24rd (AA and E-lander versions), ASC 25rd, CPD/Duramags in 20rd and 26rd sizes, shooting out of three different AR barrels (12.5", 13.5", 16") and out of three different lowers.

My favorite?

CPD/Duramag 20rd.  NO, I repeat, NO FTF in over a thousand rounds of Wolf steel. Bonus for holding exactly a box of ammo, and a good size for bench shooting.  I ended up with ten of them.  Easy to load.

Second place, the Duramag 26rd.  Looks cool, have had a few FTFs, but less than the others below.  Picked up a couple just to try out, will be getting more.  Also easy to load.

Third, the Elander 24rd, provided you load them to max cap and put them away to "mature" for weeks, then download to 20.  Fresh Elanders are spotty.  Have 12 of these, two different color followers, they were the first mags I bought when I got in to Grendels, and figured if Alexander Arms uses them, they must be good. Somewhat hard to load, you're going to want a MagLula.

ASC in fourth, have four of these and they're finicky.  But they're cheap!  About as easy to load as the Duramags.

Amend2 was a failure, at least with the four pre-order versions I bought.  They're basically 5rd mags advertised at 10rd mags, in a 30rd body.  Load more than 5 and the bulging is a real issue.  No feed problems, just insertion and ejection issues.  And they look good!  Tough to load too, until you learn the trick...
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've own the Amend2 10rd, Elander 24rd (AA and E-lander versions), ASC 25rd, CPD/Duramags in 20rd and 26rd sizes, shooting out of three different AR barrels (12.5", 13.5", 16") and out of three different lowers.

My favorite?

CPD/Duramag 20rd.  NO, I repeat, NO FTF in over a thousand rounds of Wolf steel. Bonus for holding exactly a box of ammo, and a good size for bench shooting.  I ended up with ten of them.  Easy to load.

Second place, the Duramag 26rd.  Looks cool, have had a few FTFs, but less than the others below.  Picked up a couple just to try out, will be getting more.  Also easy to load.

Third, the Elander 24rd, provided you load them to max cap and put them away to "mature" for weeks, then download to 20.  Fresh Elanders are spotty.  Have 12 of these, two different color followers, they were the first mags I bought when I got in to Grendels, and figured if Alexander Arms uses them, they must be good. Somewhat hard to load, you're going to want a MagLula.

ASC in fourth, have four of these and they're finicky.  But they're cheap!  About as easy to load as the Duramags.

Amend2 was a failure, at least with the four pre-order versions I bought.  They're basically 5rd mags advertised at 10rd mags, in a 30rd body.  Load more than 5 and the bulging is a real issue.  No feed problems, just insertion and ejection issues.  And they look good!  Tough to load too, until you learn the trick...
View Quote

My experience with Grendel mags is about the same as yours, with the exception being that I also have 17rd e-lander mags. In my experience, they are as reliable as the Duramag 20's for me, AFTER the springs take a set when brand new.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top