Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2023 8:30:00 PM EDT
Simple question..

I a 1x6 variable too little glass for a 20" 5.56?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Entirely depends on the intended use. The gun isn't a good determining factor. What do you plan to use the optic for?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Optics-Mounts-and-Sights/18/
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Basically, is the range advantage of 20 over a 16 a moot point given a magnification of 6x?  No hard defined uses, just wondering how far a 1x6 will reach out practically.  This would be for an average shooter and just for recreational purposes.

I had asked another question earlier.  I'm trying to swap and consolidate some stuff without having to buy a bunch of new stuff

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
How far are you likely to shoot?  

A scope isn't just for shooting.  Sometimes you use them to see if that is something that needs to be shot, or a shadow, stump, rock, etc.

I live in an area where a 100 yd. shot would be a long one (trees, lots of trees) and haven't bought anything bigger than a 1X6 (mostly 1X4's) for several years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on what you want to do with it and what type of barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The quality and resolution of the optics can be more important than magnification. In bright daylight with high contrast targets a lesser quality optic can perform fine.  If the 20” doesn’t need 1x for speed then a larger objective 2-10, 3-12, 4-14 could be worth the size and weight. If long shots are the rare outlier a 1-6 suits many people. If shots are more frequent at 4-600 yards or longer then the 1-6 starts to require better glass, and hold overs and windage marks in the reticle become more necessary.  Even then a spotter with higher magnification calling your shots can be key to feedback for success.

The velocity difference between a 16” and 20” barrel stretches trajectory for max point blank range maybe 60 additional yards. You can compare the two in online JBM ballistic calculator for energy, wind drift, etc. The 20” might give you 150 to 200 fps more muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. I'm not great sometimes asking for help. Maybe I will ask a different way. Say what I'm looking at. I have a complete 16 inch carbine that has a non float magpul moe handguard with a YHM flip up front. It has a 1x6 lpvo.

I also have a complete lower assembly that I need to purchase a complete upper for.

I have, in a box, a 1x prism.

I'm thinking about putting the prism on the 16 inch and using the lpvo on the new free float upper that I need to purchase.

I would prefer not to spend more money on a second lpvo.

So basically, if you were to decide, what would you do?

Money is the driving force.

Again , these rifles won't serve a particular role, just trying to get 2 useable rifles at the lowest cost.

So, assuming a new upper, does the 1x6 make sense for something other than a 16 inch?

Thanks and sorry for fat thumbing on my phone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I'm not great sometimes asking for help. Maybe I will ask a different way. Say what I'm looking at. I have a complete 16 inch carbine that has a non float magpul moe handguard with a YHM flip up front. It has a 1x6 lpvo.

I also have a complete lower assembly that I need to purchase a complete upper for.

I have, in a box, a 1x prism.

I'm thinking about putting the prism on the 16 inch and using the lpvo on the new free float upper that I need to purchase.

I would prefer not to spend more money on a second lpvo.

So basically, if you were to decide, what would you do?

Money is the driving force.

Again , these rifles won't serve a particular role, just trying to get 2 useable rifles at the lowest cost.

So, assuming a new upper, does the 1x6 make sense for something other than a 16 inch?

Thanks and sorry for fat thumbing on my phone.
View Quote

Couple other factors you need to consider.  What are you shooting?  ie prairie dogs, deer or paper targets.
How is your eyesight?  I used to shoot irons sight M16s and M14 at 600/1000 yds.  A 1x6 may or may not work for you.  Only you under field conditions and your wallet will dicate.  Try using what you have and if it doesn't work trade for something more suitable.  Doesn't have to happen right now either.

I hunt with a 4x ACOG on my M16A4 clone or 2.5x on my FAL and carried a 3x on my 10.3" in Astan shooting to 600m.  As much as I like low powered optics, I do have a need for have higher magnification optic for varmint hunting.

CD
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what you want to use the upper for.  My last 20" was "bench gun and golf balls at 200+ yards" so it wore a 8-32 ... and I don't recall ever turnin' the knob down from 32....

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Based on your new information, there's nothing wrong with your plan. You may find down the road that you want to make more changes, but you won't know till you get there. For now I'd say it's a solid, money saving plan.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a reasonable approach to try.  If your new upper is 20” it makes sense to put the heavier optic on the heavier build. I’m assuming the 1X reflex is a lighter, more compact optic.  So 16” will be a handy 0-250 yard gun, and 20” for stretching out to longer distances.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I shoot xtc out to 600 yards with a 20" govt model using a 1-4x24 and it works just fine. I leave it on 4x.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I shoot xtc out to 600 yards with a 20" govt model using a 1-4x24 and it works just fine. I leave it on 4x.
View Quote

Same.  A 4x is great.  At the same time on my 20" 224 valkyrie I have a 10-50x
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it really depends on what kind of shooting you do and what you like.

I have a 20" AR and I put a 2.5-10 on it. I like having the extra power for longer ranges and shooting for load development.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe run tbe 1-6x you have on the 20" for a while and the prism 1x on the 16" as you suggest.  Save the money for now.  You can get a second lpvo or a midpowered scope later if you don't like the arrangement.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Basically, is the range advantage of 20 over a 16 a moot point given a magnification of 6x?  No hard defined uses, just wondering how far a 1x6 will reach out practically.  This would be for an average shooter and just for recreational purposes.

I had asked another question earlier.  I'm trying to swap and consolidate some stuff without having to buy a bunch of new stuff

Thanks for the link.
View Quote

I had a 3.5x ACOG (TA11) on my Colt AR-15 A4 musket and could reliably hit the middle targets (3rd, 4th from left) on the pictured gong stand with Wolf steel case at 400 yards off a bench with a front rest only. Trigger was a LaRue MBT-2S.  Rifle was otherwise stock.

6x is plenty for a 20” unless you’re building a precision rig.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Forgot to mention I’m well into “middle age” and my eyesight isn’t what it was 20 years ago.  I only shoot 180-360 rounds of 5.56 every week (busy at work this spring so my 3 range trips has been cut down to 2x a week) so I’m not anywhere near shooting high volume.  This leads me to think 4-6x on a quality 20” is going to be enough for most.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:48:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I use a Bushnell 1-4x24 on my 20" rifle out to 600 yards for NRA/CMP xtc matches. Max allowed is 4.5x34. For ME, the 4x is plenty of magnification for my old, tired 68 yo eyes.
Remember, just because you put on a higher magnification, you won't magically become a better shot. Yes, you'll be able to see the target easier, but it's still all about mechanics and form.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:56:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Current President's 100 winner holder for 22/23 - runs a 4X and does just fine at 600 yards.  Here's what the rifle looks like.  You don't need 12X on a .223 to shoot 600 yards.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Depends on what you are shooting at, imho.   For shooting at paper/precision off a bench, I want a 4-16 at least, because I want to see exactly the point I am aiming at.    

For putting a bullet in the center mass of a critter/man sized steel plate or some such large ish target at say 400 yards, 6 is more than plenty.   For reference, a 400 yard shot at 6x is like shooting with a 1x or red dot at 66 yards (ie: not very hard at all).  600 yards is like 100 yards with a red dot, still not overly complicated.

I also find that when shooting anywhere other than a bench, less zoom is actually helpful.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top